General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

71 Power bench seat rear brackets

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2020, 10:13 AM

71 Power bench seat rear brackets

Sorting through my parts to convert to power bench. It looks like there needs to be a rear floor pan to seat bracket piece. I cant tell from the Fischer body book. Any info appricated.
Old November 12th, 2020, 08:15 PM

There are after-market floor brackets available from the usual sources. The brackets must be welded to the floor pan. There are threads on CO about it.

I went a different route. The front power seat adjuster bolts directly to the same location on the floor as non-power seats. I made my own rear metal seat adjuster lifts and bolted the rear of the seat adjuster and metal lift to the floor. It's covered by carpet anyway.
Old November 12th, 2020, 09:39 PM

Tom, I was thinking of the same method on the rear, once the seat and carpet are out I would get a better idea of the rear pad. Do you recall how thick the rear pad was? Thanks for the info.
Old November 13th, 2020, 06:29 AM
4R5

I have a '71 VC with the factory power bench seat. It's in storage now, unable to pull the front seat, but I may have taken pictures of the mounting points because I was planning to change over to a strato power bench seat. Give me a day or so to see what pictures I have.
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:57 AM

4R5, much appreciated.
Old November 13th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by woodie582
Tom, I was thinking of the same method on the rear, once the seat and carpet are out I would get a better idea of the rear pad. Do you recall how thick the rear pad was? Thanks for the info.
I made the rear mounting point for the seat adjuster insert 1" thick. I have the seat adjuster carpet retainers (most are missing) that mount at the rear end of the adjuster, so I needed 1" to clear the retainer over the carpet. Both driver and passenger side of my floor pan are the same.

Here's my thread on it: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...utlass-147008/

Last edited by Toms cutlass; November 13th, 2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old November 13th, 2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4R5
I have a '71 VC with the factory power bench seat. It's in storage now, unable to pull the front seat, but I may have taken pictures of the mounting points because I was planning to change over to a strato power bench seat. Give me a day or so to see what pictures I have.
Here is a pic of my 72 with a strato bench:

I got an original set of floor braces (mounts) with one of the power bench tracks that I bought. Although they were originally welded to the floor pan, the factory braces have a hole at the back that locates them over one of the original rear bolt hole locations. I actually just bolted the mounts to the bolt holes in the floor and then bolted the tracks down to the mounts. Not as strong as if I would have welded them in, but by the time I was getting the power track installed I was pretty much finished with the interior and did not want to risk welding. The original mounts are about 1 inch tall.
Old November 13th, 2020, 04:59 PM

Here's an old thread. I shared pictures of the power bench brackets in a 1971 Cutlass wagon. Someone had cut the studs shorter, but this might give you a view of what the brackets looked like. I think there's a couple more threads on this topic if you want to spend some time with the search function. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...urement-31959/
Old November 14th, 2020, 01:49 PM
4R5

Here are pictures of the bracket in my VC. I'm pretty sure this is the passenger side. What I can't tell you is the height of the bracket. I can go to the car and check but it looks like from the pictures that the the hole in front is in line with one of the studs in back, but the back seat bracket does not confirm that. That picture cuts off the bracket so it may have a 3rd center hole. LMK, I can check if needed. Karl

Old November 14th, 2020, 08:44 PM

Good info and pics, thanks to all. I’ll get to the seat swap this winter.