General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

67 Cutlass Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2015, 08:01 AM

67 Cutlass Air conditioning

I have a 67 Cutlass with factory air. I need to replace the heater core and have taken the core out. The air or heater did not work, the control ***** did not move or fan turn on. I have taken the heat/air control out and have the control ***** moving. What would I need to check, repair or replace to make sure the system will work? I see no broken parts but what should I be looking for?
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Skeetman
... what should I be looking for?
You should be looking for a 1967 factory Chassis Service Manual. Section 1 details HVAC troubleshooting.

From your limited description of the problem, you have multiple things going on. The fan motor is electric and is completely independent from the slider *****. This is basic troubleshooting 101. Trace the fan motor circuit with a test light until you find the problem there. Disconnect the controls from the cables and find out where they are stuck - are the cables rusted, the control levers rusted, or the doors in the HVAC box not operating? Check the vacuum that operates the flapper doors and verify that you get vacuum at the right places and at the right times.

We aren't going to solve this long-distance. You need to do the troubleshooting.
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the response Joe,
I have the controls working, a hold clip was not attached which I replaced cleaned the controller and the cables work fine which I lubed, no rust to bind any parts. I have removed the fender well to access the heater core replacement. Should there be any obvious things to check right now. I will also be replacing the complete suspension at this time.
Where would be a place to buy a chassis service manual?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1261.jpg (67.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1311.jpg (39.4 KB, 7 views)
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Skeetman
Where would be a place to buy a chassis service manual?
There are several on ebay right now, with the lowest priced one at about $15. I prefer an original paper copy to a reprint or CD. Get a Fisher Body Manual also.