General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

‘67 442 radio connectors

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2021, 06:42 AM

‘67 442 radio connectors

Pulled original AM radio out of my ‘67 442 & stored many years ago & lost notes via several house moves 😬😬😬! Currently have a new not very original looking after market copy w bells & whistles I wanted I’m installing. Original harness is not molested & still has original 3 tongue connector which I do remember went into rear of original radio. I don’t remember if any secondary connectors or wires other than that went to speakers. The 3 Tongue connector has 1 still active hot when ignition is on, the other 2 go to speakers per research. Question; original speaker wires connecting to speakers appear to go into main harness coming out of it & going & to front & rear speakers, is that correct? Question; does three tongue connector previously mentioned connect power to radio & tie original speakes in via the main harness. Question; Can I hook up new radio by just splicing female connectors to new radio wiring connect to stock 3 tongue stock connector mentioned to connect new radio or are there other splices into actual speaker wires in harness required? (hate to think that as don’t want to molest original harness!).
Old July 20th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Leave the original wiring alone with the exception of the power wire. Splice into it and run a new separate harness to the speakers.
Old July 20th, 2021, 11:42 AM

The three connections are power, speaker out, and ground, which does ground for both speakers and power. Cleanest way to do it is make a converter harness from a matching plug to the plug for your new radio and use only power and ground, like said above, and wire in the speakers directly to the new plug, bypassing original harness.
Old July 20th, 2021, 02:03 PM

‘67 442 original harness radio connector question

I see a Triple connector coming from main harness near back of where radio was. It has 1 hot lead on when ignition or Acc. Is on, & 2 leads I believe from research are for signal to front & rear speakers. Can anyone verify im correct or not. I want connect to new radio using that triple connector using hot for new radio & the other 2 I believe are for the original speakers which are in great shape & have original leads still connected @ speaker & the other end enters main harness. I believe harness is routed for that? Research> See 2nd connector pic & explanation http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/radio.html
Old July 20th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Yellow wire is switched 12v. Green is front speaker (+) and green/black or solid black is front speaker (-). Rear speaker lead is blue and comes out of right side of radio chassis. It connects to another blue behind the dash that routes to the rear speaker if equipped. Rear speaker ground is to the car frame.

This assumes factory wiring and radio. If you're using aftermarket equipment use the instructions and wiring that come with it.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 20th, 2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old July 20th, 2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone442
I see a Triple connector coming from main harness near back of where radio was. It has 1 hot lead on when ignition or Acc. Is on, & 2 leads I believe from research are for signal to front & rear speakers. Can anyone verify im correct or not. I want connect to new radio using that triple connector using hot for new radio & the other 2 I believe are for the original speakers which are in great shape & have original leads still connected @ speaker & the other end enters main harness. I believe harness is routed for that? Research> See 2nd connector pic & explanation http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/radio.html
Originally Posted by Koda
The three connections are power, speaker out, and ground, which does ground for both speakers and power. Cleanest way to do it is make a converter harness from a matching plug to the plug for your new radio and use only power and ground, like said above, and wire in the speakers directly to the new plug, bypassing original harness.