General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

66 442 coolant overflow option

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:16 AM

66 442 coolant overflow option

Does anyone know what, or if, there was a coolant overflow option... I would like to add an overflow tank to my '66 and if there was no dealer option, I would like to find another GM model tank that would look factory installed. I want to stay away from a generic aftermarket unit that looks like an add on.
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Never offered one in 66.

Henry
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:50 AM
MOTORHEAD

How about one of those triangular glass washer bottles and mounting bracket? It would get you a vintage look and be an OEM item.
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Oldsdruid

Disadvantage to that will be if it pukes out more than capacity of the OptiKleen bottle, it has nowhere to go. You'd also have to fab some type of vent on the bottle.

Really, if the cooling system is in good shape and you're not trying to overfill it, you should not need an overflow jug. Keep the coolant level an inch or so below the radiator filler neck and if pressure cap is good, you should not see any overflow out the tube. Most problems with older cars puking out coolant thru the overflow trace back to people filling the radiator all the way to the bottom of the filler neck as they would with a coolant recovery-equipped system.

If it pukes any out, it will eventually find the level it wants.
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM

That's to bad........ I thought GM would have offered one.... I guess I'll be going with rocketraider's suggestion.... I'm still going to look for a unit to fit into that open spot
up front on the passenger side... (but only if it looks like it came that way)

Thanks for the responses.... Bill

Last edited by wmlewis; March 27th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Administrator

There are plenty of aftermarket catch cans and overflow tanks out there. You can probably buy one from your local auto parts store. You will need to get a lower pressure radiator cap to allow the coolant to exit and reenter the radiator as necessary.

I would not use the glass bottle because a sudden burst of hot liquid and glass do not get along.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Really, if the cooling system is in good shape and you're not trying to overfill it, you should not need an overflow jug. Keep the coolant level an inch or so below the radiator filler neck and if pressure cap is good, you should not see any overflow out the tube. Most problems with older cars puking out coolant thru the overflow trace back to people filling the radiator all the way to the bottom of the filler neck as they would with a coolant recovery-equipped system.

If it pukes any out, it will eventually find the level it wants.
X2. In '66 the full mark is embossed on the side of an OEM radiator and is better than 2 inches below the neck.

Originally Posted by wmlewis
That's to bad........ I thought GM would have offered one.... I guess I'll be going with rocketraider's suggestion.... I'm still going to look for a unit to fit into that open spot
up front on the passenger side... (but only if it looks like it came that way)

Thanks for the responses.... Bill
I guess i don't understand. If it didn't come with one, it can never look like it came that way to anyone who is familiar with the car.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator

The reason it never came with one is because no one cared if the radiator spit some coolant on the ground and the neighbors pets died after drinking it. We were still using deisel fuel, and used motor oil to control weeds in our back yards and fencelines. Or pouring the the stuff down the sewer.

The nice thing about the overflow is that it works as an auxilliary tank for the radiator.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Okay, Okay, I GOT IT...... I do tend to be more of a purist.... You're absolutely right
that it will never look CORRECT no matter what I do.. nuff said... Bill