General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

64 cutlass heater speed control bulb

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2019, 01:43 AM

64 cutlass heater speed control bulb

I’m in the process of completely restoring the dash on my 64 cutlass, I can’t seem to figure out how to get the bulb out from behind the heater fan speed control. It seems to be crimped in and the backing is riveted in place. I’d like to get it out and clean out the back side of the lens. Anyone have experience with this?
this is what it looks like (pic from the web)
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:15 AM
Administrator

This is not an exact picture, it has fingers on the end of the socket itself and snaps into place. Use a small screwdriver to pry it up an out.

Old September 27th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
This is not an exact picture, it has fingers on the end of the socket itself and snaps into place. Use a small screwdriver to pry it up an out.
^^^THIS. The lamp holder just snaps into the metal housing. Rust and spring force are requiring excessive force. I typically use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the lamp holder free from the housing.
Old September 27th, 2019, 08:00 AM

Damikestr- don't know if your restoring back to original but here is a few ideas-installed a charging port where the cigarette lighter was. Bought a radio delete plate and in Stalled a Kenwood head unit in the glove box
Old September 27th, 2019, 11:19 AM

Thanks,

Thanks for the responses and help guys. As for the dash resto, I’m going for original look. I do like the head unit in the glove box tho, I’m thinking of leaving the original radio and doing the stealth install in the glove box.
Thanks he black part of the dash, is it supposed to be all black or are the raised lines supposed to be chrome? Also the labels, like cigarette lighter, are they supposed to b chrome with black lettering? That’s what I’m gonna do. I like the contrast.
heres some progress so far before and after.

Old September 27th, 2019, 11:41 AM

it's all chrome, I cleaned your chrome section with 000 steel wool. I cleaned and prepped the black part of the dash, painted it with SIM semi flat black. after that is good and dry, used Testers white model paint and a thin brush and painted over the letters, let it dry a bit and then very carefully use a drop or so of mineral spirits on a piece of paper towel using your index finger gently wipe off the white excess on the black surface of the dash and the rest will stay embedded in the letters.
Old September 30th, 2019, 01:11 AM

Thanks

The dash restoration looks great. Thanks for the pics. The black had been spray painted over once before. I’m using a small wire wheel on a dremel at about 10-12k rpms the clean the excess black paint off before I respray it. I’ll also be polishing the chrome with a polishing wheel on a dremel before paint. Here’s a pic of its current state with having started already, far from finished. The lighter areas I’ve used the dremel on but not finished. Darker areas I haven’t touched

Old September 30th, 2019, 06:16 AM

It's getting there, looks great. I did not access to a dremel tool at the time, those work very well.
Old October 1st, 2019, 07:23 PM

I bead blasted the dash in my 65 got all the debris off it. would recommend if you have access to one
Old October 2nd, 2019, 12:17 AM

Bead blast

Are you referring to a plastic media blast? That sounds like a good idea so as not to damage the chrome. Was it able to get into the grooves? I’ll inquire if any around here does plastic media blasting if that’s the case.
thabks for the input. All constructive input is appreciated.
mike

Last edited by Damikestr; October 5th, 2019 at 10:59 PM.