General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

455 exhast manifold

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Captain of my ship

Question 455 exhast manifold

I was wondering if anyone had an "S" style LH exhaust manifold kicking around.This is the one that exit towards the rear . Currently have an X-384785 which exits staight down to crossover to the other manifold 398708-K . I can always block that one off so it just exits rear but the other side would be easier to get around steering box with the "S" style?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wolfman98
I was wondering if anyone had an "S" style LH exhaust manifold kicking around.This is the one that exit towards the rear . Currently have an X-384785 which exits staight down to crossover to the other manifold 398708-K . I can always block that one off so it just exits rear but the other side would be easier to get around steering box with the "S" style?
The manifold you need is now being repro'd:

http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton/b_and_c_manifold.html

Old February 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Captain of my ship

manifold

the only problem I have with that would be the cost...it would be close to around $400.00 CND. Our dollar is not worth much right now and then there is shipping and taxes and brokerage fees. I was hoping to find a used one and then get both sides planed down which will cost me around 30 bucks per.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM

You will spend quite a bit to buy a used manifold. I see them rarely on E-bay.
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Captain of my ship

Talking manifolds

I think I need to find out what make and models these came on and start hitting up the junkyards. There is a guy who does all my mechanical work on the van who has a 75 olds with duels , he won't part with it but said he will talk to some buddies. he has a junkyard out back and he also 1/4 miles a 52 chev halfton ( 11.29 ) with small block 350.
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

they came on toronados i believe. a J manifold and a G manifold would both do the same thing.
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
they came on toronados i believe. a J manifold and a G manifold would both do the same thing.
I disagree. Note in the photo I posted that the manifold makes an "S" turn to clear the shift linkage. The outlet is pointed back and down. These were unique to the 65-70 B and C body cars with dual exhaust. The Toro LH manifolds are completely different. The outlet angles up and outward, pointing towards the master cylinder. The head pipe had a bend routing it over the transmission and down under the car. You MIGHT be able to make that work with some custom tube bending, but I have no experience with that. I'd welcome any first-hand experience or (even better) photos of the Toro manifold in a B-body application.

The reason the repros are so expensive is because A) it's expensive to make the tooling, B) it's expensive to get GM approval on repro parts, and C) these manifolds are rare and there are no good alternatives.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Oldsdruid

I think I need to find out what make and models these came on and start hitting up the junkyards. There is a guy who does all my mechanical work on the van who has a 75 olds with duels , he won't part with it but said he will talk to some buddies. he has a junkyard out back and he also 1/4 miles a 52 chev halfton ( 11.29 ) with small block 350.
1965-70 88/98/Starfire with dual exhaust. The 1975 car never came with duals but that body would use W and Z manifolds for true duals without cat.

As far as expense, you have to ask yourself how bad you want the duals. You might be able to cobble up something using a different manifold, but doing that, I doubt you'd save any money over biting the bullet and getting the right part to start with. Using the Thornton piece, everything will bolt up and fit right.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Oldsguy and I used a Toronado driver's side manifold on his 69 Delta 88. We had to cut the back of the manifold off, turn it around 180 degrees and have it welded back on. I don't know if he has any pictures. It worked pretty well for a garage project.
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Past Administrator

I think the whole thing cost me about sixty or seventy bucks, parts and labor. I paid someone to weld it for me since I can't weld (I really need to learn).
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Oldsguy and I used a Toronado driver's side manifold on his 69 Delta 88. We had to cut the back of the manifold off, turn it around 180 degrees and have it welded back on. I don't know if he has any pictures. It worked pretty well for a garage project.
Did the same thing myself....passenger side toro manifold will work but a custom pipe needs to be made. Driver's side will not work....not even close without cutting the bend out and brazing it back together.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Did the same thing myself....passenger side toro manifold will work but a custom pipe needs to be made. Driver's side will not work....not even close without cutting the bend out and brazing it back together.
OK, I give up. how do you get a Toro passenger side manifold to fit the driver's side? The outlet would point forward and outward, and would likely hit the PS pump. Do you have a photo?
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Oldsguy and I used a Toronado driver's side manifold on his 69 Delta 88. We had to cut the back of the manifold off, turn it around 180 degrees and have it welded back on.
I'll give you credit, that's pretty creative. How did it clear the shift linkage?
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Past Administrator

Didn't have any, I had removed it and was using a floor mounted shifter.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Captain of my ship

Unhappy bite the bullet

Originally Posted by rocketraider
1965-70 88/98/Starfire with dual exhaust. The 1975 car never came with duals but that body would use W and Z manifolds for true duals without cat.

As far as expense, you have to ask yourself how bad you want the duals. You might be able to cobble up something using a different manifold, but doing that, I doubt you'd save any money over biting the bullet and getting the right part to start with. Using the Thornton piece, everything will bolt up and fit right.
yeah I suppose I could buy the Thorton part and "bite the bullet" but I'm gonna have to sell my gun.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Check evel bay the exhaust manifolds come up from time to time thats were I bought mine W/Z half price of the Thornton even with shipping. Just make sure the tabs are not broken.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
OK, I give up. how do you get a Toro passenger side manifold to fit the driver's side? The outlet would point forward and outward, and would likely hit the PS pump. Do you have a photo?
I can post a photo...key is cutting the bend out of the manifold. When done its a short stubby straight manifold and the pipe that needs to be made for it will easily clear the column shift linkage. Flange where pipe bolts must be vertical and not horizontal else ears will hit rag joint on steering shaft....at least the one I did would. Will post photo soon.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by citcapp
Check evel bay the exhaust manifolds come up from time to time thats were I bought mine W/Z half price of the Thornton even with shipping. Just make sure the tabs are not broken.
Original W/Z manifolds are unfortunately MUCH more common than the B-body manifolds.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Here is the picture

manicust.jpg
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM

"passenger side will work"....to clarify... it will work on the passenger side of a B body car with no modification. The left side manifold needs modification.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Wow. This turned into a cool post very quickly. Thanks for posting those pics.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM

BTW, since we are on the subject of manifolds...

Will W/Z manifolds fit a B/C body car?
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
"passenger side will work"....to clarify... it will work on the passenger side of a B body car with no modification. The left side manifold needs modification.
Yeah, see, that was confusing me. I thought we were talking about the special driver's side manifold.
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I must make a correction. I grabbed the pair I believe to have run duals with On my 72 88 from the rafters of the garage.
The toronado manifold was on the passenger side, and manifold 380001 on the drivers side.
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Captain of my ship

Exclamation 455 manifold

WOW I did not expect all of the responses by simply asking if anyone had a spare LH "S" style manifold to fit my 69-455. Some of the creative abilities from those who used a Toronado manifold by cutting out the bend and reversing it was pretty cool to read. Just goes to show where there is a will , you know the rest.Kennybill sent me a photo of the modified shift linkage for the exhaust pipe to clear ( he had tape measure in picture with the linkage) and I compared it to the linkage on my 69 Olds. The lenght of the linkage was the same but the thing that suprised me was that the height of the bend in my linkage was the same from what I can tell. I am somewhat fortunate in that I live close to a builder (Allen Armstrong's who has been rebuilding motors for 40 years and has a great reputation for building race motors ) And the Muffler Boys who can bend and create exhaust to fit. The only problem is getting a manifold to exit the rear at correct downward angle to clear the steering box. I checked the linkage in park all the way down to low and don't see a problem with exhaust pipe clearing that without "hanging low". The rest of the underside on the drivers side is exactly the same as the passenger side so there is no problem hanging duels all the way back. A friend of mine is trying to encourage me to buy headers for it but I am not sure of the possible "bad" effects this may have on my motor.does anyone know if they make "shorty" headers with a rear exit for the 455 and is this a good or bad idea. I am hoping this will spark a similar debate as the info I have gotten so far has been eyeopening informative to say the least.
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM

If you buy headers you will probably blow gaskets all the time. A friend of mine had headers on his SBC and he was replacing gaskets almost once a month. Of course, if you buy quality headers and gaskets you probably won't be afflicted by this.

Still wondering if W/Z manifolds will fit a B body?
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Captain of my ship

Exclamation headers

If you buy headers you will probably blow gaskets all the time. A friend of mine had headers on his SBC and he was replacing gaskets almost once a month. Of course, if you buy quality headers and gaskets you probably won't be afflicted by this.

Still wondering if W/Z manifolds will fit a B body?
This would probably be something to talk about with Allen Armstrong , if anyone knows what would be best setup he would. The W/Z manifolds on B body I have no clue . My LH is X384785 and the RH is 398708K ?
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The A384785 is a small one that dumps straight down in the middle, correct?
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
The A384785 is a small one that dumps straight down in the middle, correct?
yes , it is an X 384785 on the drivers side . it had a crossover pipe which went into the other manifold and then exited out the rear.

Last edited by wolfman98; February 6th, 2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: x - #
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Captain of my ship

69 Olds

I was out stripping everything off the block and I just got back in.I was always good at taking things apart even as a kid. Oh crap , I already forgot how to put it back together

Last edited by wolfman98; February 6th, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

I was out stripping everything off the block and I just got back in.I was always good at taking things apart even as a kid. Oh crap , I already forgot how to put it back together
Three words:

Chassis Service Manual
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Captain of my ship

manual

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Three words:

Chassis Service Manual
When i got the car I got a couple manuals with it . I will have to check to see if i have the chassis manual. I do have the Fisher body 1969 service manual here in the house cause I was looking for some body parts , I will have to see if I have the other in the garage. I have been tagging most of the stuff as I take it off. The P/S pump and brackets I did in my garage here so I think some bolts are still in there.
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Oldsdruid

W and Z manifolds are correct for all 1971-74 455 dual exhaust B and C body Oldsmobiles, as well as the 70-74 455 DE A body cars.

They can be used in 75-6 B/C and 75-7 A with a true dual system.