General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2016 | 07:26 AM
76' OldsCutlassSup

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Hey I have a question I have a 1976 Cutlass Supreme 355 engine and for some reason my car is overheating I have replaced the water pump I have replaced the thermostat in my radiator is good what do you think it could be causing the car to overheat we took it on 5 hour drive just came back everything was good go to go to work today and the car randomly overheats
Old August 4th, 2016 | 07:48 AM
Administrator

Please tell us the temp its running at idle and at speed.
Old August 4th, 2016 | 09:15 AM
Hookers under Hood

Adding to what Oldcutlass asked, have you added coolant to the rad prior to overheating? Does it push coolant out of the overflow bottle when it overheated? Are the fins all tight on the core? Do the tubes looked like they have white buildup around them inside the rad?
Old August 4th, 2016 | 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sdillon0512@gmail.com
I have a 1976 Cutlass Supreme 355 engine and for some reason my car is overheating
Define "overheating." Exactly what are the symptoms? A gauge reading high? Coolant spewing out of the overflow tank? Steam coming out from under the hood? What?

Also, isn't the engine a 350? Or do you have a 455?
Old August 4th, 2016 | 12:01 PM
It's a Cutlass.

not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what is a good temp range on a 350 mostly stock engine?
Old August 4th, 2016 | 12:07 PM
76' OldsCutlassSup

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Define "overheating." Exactly what are the symptoms? A gauge reading high? Coolant spewing out of the overflow tank? Steam coming out from under the hood? What?

Also, isn't the engine a 350? Or do you have a 455?
Yes I am sorry it is a 350 engine and I don't have a temperature gauge all I have is just a light that pops on saying when my car is hot. Not only was there steam or smoke coming from the engine but radiator fluid coming out of it as well.
However my husband was able to check it out and thinks its the radiator itself. But any other things I should check out....def lmk please.
Old August 4th, 2016 | 12:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

If your husband feels as thou its the rad then I would replace the t-stat and rad cap as well .
How does he know the rad is in fact the issue? Does the car have A/C ? What temp is it outside when it usually overheats ? With or without A/C on.

Eric
Old August 4th, 2016 | 01:43 PM
76' OldsCutlassSup

Originally Posted by 76olds
If your husband feels as thou its the rad then I would replace the t-stat and rad cap as well .
How does he know the rad is in fact the issue? Does the car have A/C ? What temp is it outside when it usually overheats ? With or without A/C on.

I'm not sure why he thinks it is the radiator I haven't had a chance to talk to him today and he is at work and has the car with him. but our car does have ac...well it did. It ran off of r 12 and then he use a valve adapter( something round those lines) so he could use the R134a which that was working until about a month ago when the car first overheated and we replace the thermostat and after we replace the thermostat the AC just stopped working and this is now the only second time the car has overheated on us. when it has overheated it is about 94 degrees outside. but this car is a daily driver and being the summer it's been pretty hot and it is only overheated these two times.
Eric
Old August 4th, 2016 | 01:45 PM
76' OldsCutlassSup

Oh and the ac was on the first time it happened and had only been driving it for bout 15 mins. Whereas this time no ac on and had been driving it for 20 mins but it was only 8o out this morning
Old August 4th, 2016 | 01:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

I would check the core for loose or rotted fins to start with, then have a look inside the filler neck to see if ther is any deposits around the tubes themselves. I'm wondering if he left an air lock in the system after changing the T-stat. Leaving an air lock in the system could and normally will overheat the engine.
Ask him if he seen good flow through the upper tubes of the rad after changing the t-stat and refilling, this would eliminate the air lock, water pump and new t-stat at least.
Hope this helps
Eric
Old August 4th, 2016 | 01:55 PM
Hookers under Hood

Given its your daily driver, drive the car with the heater defrost on high to keep the engine cooler. It will suck on a hot day but it may save you from a head gasket job in the near future if it should overheat again . Top the overflow bottle and rad off each day prior to driving. If its well below the trans cooler then you need to top if off during coolant circulation to avoid air locks.

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; August 4th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.