General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1970 W31 fuel sender replace via trunk ?

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2019, 08:42 AM

1970 W31 fuel sender replace via trunk ?

I've a 1970 W31 since 1975. Only brought out to "play", about 4-5 times a year for car shows and to keep "ready".

Since 2012 fuel sender has failed. I reviewed all sites: the sender needs replaced. Odometer does work.

Yes, I know the correct way is to drop tank and redo all the stuff, but I don't have the tools, plus I'm certain rust will be a very major issue.

Thus, can the sender be taken out from the top. That is "cut" a hole from trunk then remove it. I understand "NO SPARKS". Once replaced then create a metal "cover". Then place carpet over the metal cover to hide it. To add: If a future issue then remove cover and replace.

I've done old PU trucks this way.

Any one done this, or best to add a couple of gallons each time I take it out? Of course the dowel rod method.
John

Last edited by juanpablo; August 7th, 2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: add sentence
Old August 7th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by juanpablo
Thus, can the sender be taken out from the top.
No

You would damage the fuel tank cutting the hole. All you need to drop the fuel tank is a wrench. Use one of these to drain the fuel tank completely.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...g_q=fluid+pump

Then have a buddy support the fuel tank while you loosen the strap bolts. A hydraulic floor jack would make it easier but it's not necessary.
Old August 7th, 2019, 03:32 PM

Thus, can the sender be taken out from the top. That is "cut" a hole from trunk then remove it.
Unless the hole you cut is the size of a garbage can lid, I would think not. Do you know what a sending unit for a '70 442 looks like?

This. It's a large, L-shaped affair. There's no way you're going to wiggle this out through any kind of reasonably-sized hole in the trunk floor given that there's essentially zero clearance between the top of the fuel tank and the underside of the trunk floor.

As Jesse says above, there are no special "tools" required to remove a gas tank. You just need a socket wrench of the appropriate size to remove the gas tank strap hold-down bolts. If they're rusted, you may have to cut them with a hacksaw. None of these are tools that are difficult to find or expensive to buy and are usually a part of even the most rudimentary toolbox.

Do it right. Drop the tank. Clean it while you have it removed from the car, and remove and replace the sending unit out in the open where you will have plenty of space to work.

I have removed and replaced gas tanks on two cars, I did both jobs by myself with the rear of the car up on jack stands. As Jesse says, a floor jack if you have one will help with raising and lowering the tank. Floor jack or not, the job is quite doable by a do-it-yourselfer, especially if you have a friend handy who can help with holding things in place while bolts are loosened and tightened.
Old August 7th, 2019, 05:24 PM

Gentlemen,
I very much agree with your posts. For if things are to be done, then do them right.

I'll load up the nuts with PB and take gas out. I've a floor jack, plus "scoop up" my brother-in-law to help.

TY
Old August 8th, 2019, 05:59 AM

I'll load up the nuts with PB and take gas out. I've a floor jack, plus "scoop up" my brother-in-law to help.
Excellent! You can use PB Blaster every day for a week and tighten/loosen the nut a bit each evening. This will allow you to disassemble everything and hopefully you won't need to use a hacksaw.

Also, consider restoring the tank when you remove it. I used this on my 71 98 years ago and it worked great:

https://www.eastwood.com/por-15-fuel...epair-kit.html

You can get them from Summit, Amazon, JC Whitney, etc. so pick your poison. POR 15 is highly recommended though.