General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1969 442 Build Sheet(S)?

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM

1969 442 Build Sheet(S)?

This car came out of the Oshawa, Ontario plant...any help is appreciated.

I think my dad and I came across what appears to be three build sheets as we were taking apart the interior of the 442 yesterday. We took out everything except the dash, and rear package tray.

When we first removed the rear *** bench seat, there was a tag that was clasped onto the spring. On one side it stated a part number and on the other a date (May 29th, 1969) When I continued to look there was a slightly rolled up a partially torn piece of old dot matrix printer type paper. It appears to be written from a type writer. The first five numbers (approx) are the vin from our car 34487 then it was breaking down in basically that sheet that I recieved from GM archive of Canada. After the Vin followed items like B93 D55 G80 etc etc (i don't have it in front of me right now). The piece of paper was approx three inches tall by about four to six inches long. Here's where it gets interesting.

When dad and I then took off the back cushion of the rear bench seat, the same two pieces of information were found (this one whole, unstained and untorn). When we removed the plastic back from the passenger seat nothing except the clamped on part number and date code tag. When we took off the back of driver's seat...the same two pieces of information as we found in the back seats...this one in pristine condition.

My question in short...does anyone know if the Canadian cars that were produced were those build sheets different looking than the American ones? Also, Given the codes, this appears to be the build sheet(s). However, I have never EVER heard of anyone finding multiples in a car let alone one, if you could find them. I mean honest to god, these pieces of paper aren't any wider than rolled up cigarette paper but are about six inches wide.

My impression was that the "build sheet" was like a nice 4x6 or so type of paper in box settings displaying each code. It basically reads like this straight across.

34487 B## D## G## ... (I can't remember them all). Any help here would really be appreciated!!
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Smile Rolling paper

Those build sheets would be correct for an Oshawa car...size and texture...I usually only find one in the bucket or bench seat and one under the back seat
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Trying to remember member

Nice find! Please scan and post for all to see.
Sounds to me like what you have is the "broadcast card" as opposed to the the "build sheet". Broadcast cards are more plentiful and are found more often than full build sheets. Multiple cards are not really that unusual. More often than not they are attached to the seat. Often they are "rolled up" and I have no idea why. I know if instances where the right one (for that particular car) and a wrong one have been found in the same vehicle, and I know of where the wrong one (only) was found. In the case of the wrong one, it was in a black back seat bottom and the body sequence number was very close to the car it was in. Not too hard to surmise that in assembly the seats could easily be swapped around a bit and still end up in the "right" (as far as the type/color,etc.) cars.
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Nice find. Of course, since this is a Canadian-built car, you can actually get the build sheet data from GM of Canada Vintage Vehicle Services for a nominal fee.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nice find. Of course, since this is a Canadian-built car, you can actually get the build sheet data from GM of Canada Vintage Vehicle Services for a nominal fee.
Just a rather minor clarification, I believe what you get from GM Canada is a listing of some production info and the options on the car.
The info is not as extensive as on a build sheet.
And Dan said he already has GM Canada info.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
And Dan said he already has GM Canada info.
Whoops, I missed that. Sorry.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Welcome to the site, nice car, post some more pictures please and tell us about your plans for it