General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

To R12a or Not to R12a?

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2017, 10:14 AM

It has been a while since I have looked at this thread, so I will respond on some of the older posts with comments interspersed, but not in the order that they were posted.

Originally Posted by Olds64
I know this is an old thread; however, I'm considering updating the AC on my new 86 Ford f250, pics to come for those who care. Once I update the AC on my truck, I would also update the AC on my Olds.

Apparently, R12 isn't cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Refrige...tXSvYt&vxp=mtr

No, it isn't inexpensive, but the labor involved is the greater expense, even if you are doing it yourself. If you think that your time is free, then consider what you might be doing with those hours, if you weren't fixing your air conditioner for the 2nd, or 3rd or more time.

I have no idea what R12A actually is, and once you install it, you will have "contaminated" the entire system with this "new" refrigerant. I have a strong suspicion that it might be one of the newer propane derivative gasses. If for any reason you need to service the system, once you use a gas that isn't widely accepted, no one will be willing to collect this gas, and you will have no choice but to vent it to the atmosphere. I did read the manufacturers statements as to it meeting the UN Montreal Protocol, and the statement ....

Originally Posted by from Amazon
Convenient package contains everything needed to properly charge an A/C system quickly and accurately. Kit includes: 2 cans RED TEK 12a Refrigerant, 1 can RED TEK LeakStop, 1 High Side Fitting,1 Low Side Fitting, 1 Installation Hose Kit (manufacturer reserves right to package differently should packaging materials run out of stock), Installation Instructions, Conversion Charts, Decals, MSDS Sheet Not a replacement for ozone depleting substances in the U.S. IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This product cannot be returned to Amazon.com because it uses flammable liquids and gases, is classified as a hazardous material, or meets other criteria. This is a non refundable, non returnable product.
I'm wondering, if I flush the system and replace the hoses and drier would there be any reason to run a "stop leak" product through the system? Here is a flush kit:
https://www.amazon.com/FJC-2710-Syst...mpressor+flush

I strongly recommend that you use a good quality air conditioning flush, noting that items such as mufflers, receiver drier, and the compressor, cannot be flushed. Flushing is specifically recommended for the evaporator, condenser, and straight through hoses. I wouldn't use a stop leak, since it is more than likely it will gum up the system and cause you more problems than it might cure. A properly serviced system should be tight enough to hold a vacuum and a pressure test prior to installing the refrigerant.

I'm not concerned about the flammability of r12a. If it's good enough for Canadians and Germans it's good enough for me. I'm not concerned about EPA regulations either. However, I wouldn't rule out r134a if there was way to convert my system successfully.
Thanks for your input.

Having owned a number of Mercedes, I can say first hand that just because the Germans used a product that doesn't mean that it is a good product. I owned a 1995 E320, which has a wire harness that was "biodegradable", and it started cracking and shorting out wires before it was out of warranty. Mercedes solution at the time was to individually wrap every wire under the hood. At that time, they had no other solution for the problem. That solution lasted long enough for the car to be out of warranty, but failed shortly there after. Mercedes refused to replace the wire harness, and said that it was a maintenance item. They said the same thing when the rubber air conditioning hoses failed.

I want to make sure the time and money I put into a system conversion would have good results. I already know that r134a does not cool sufficiently in a r12 system. I put r134a in the AC system of my 90 Buick Estate wagon years ago and it never worked very well. Is there a way to use r134a without buying a completely aftermarket system (i.e. Vintage Air)? I've heard that r134a needs an oversized evaporator if you put it in an r12 system. If so, how do I determine what size evaporator would be needed and where do I buy it?

Stick with good quality used GM or NOS, and forget about trying to retrofit R134A into a system that wasn't designed for that gas. I believe that this is why GM/Ford/Chrysler/etc. never manufactured retrofit kits for use in their cars of previous years.

Originally Posted by Leadfoot
I obviously need a much better anti-MAW helmet...

When I had the system evacuated and replaced the receiver/drier, the old oil collected resembled 40 weight mixed with coca-cola. Although a very close examination revealed no metal particles, something clearly has affected the system oil in a pretty ugly way.

This is an indication that the system had previously serviced, and improperly evacuated, and was contaminated with moisture. Some shops don't use virgin refrigerant, and install the refrigerant that they have collected from doing evacuations. It could also be a result of cross contamination of refrigerant oils. It would take an oil analyst to determine the exact cause. This is the reasoning behind flushing an old system that you have no history of its past service life.

Originally Posted by Leadfoot
Further, when I decided to replace the service port Schrader valves, the old high side valve came apart, with the body of the valve stuck in the port. I could not manage to remove it without damaging the port body. So my plan has changed. Right now the system is sealed up and holding at 5 psi, with nitrogen in place of R12, while I wait for new parts to arrive.

At this point, I think it's prudent to replace some of the 46 year old original stuff just because it's gotta be getting tired (like the port valve). I will not convert to R134a, but whatever hardware I replace will be R134a compatible, even though, for the time being, I see no good reason to convert to R134a.

I have a new (3) hose set and O-rings on the way from Original Air and a spare (new) receiver/drier on the shelf. I'll also replace the compressor. Although the Four Seasons A6 compressor that's in the car now seems OK and doesn't (measurably) leak oil or refrigerant, it's at least 25 years old, and now is a good time to replace it. I'm thinking the new compressor will be a Pro6Ten from Old Air Products. Keeping things 100% original under the hood has become a lot less important to me than having a system that works and lasts. I haven't ordered the compressor yet, so any comments or opinions about this are very welcome.

I'll flush the system, and as long as I'm replacing things, I'll replace the TXV. Does anybody have an opinion on the $15 Four Seasons TXV available from AutoZone vs the $60+ TXV from Old Air and others? Is this just a case of price gouging, or is there really a price-justifiable difference?

I'll test the POA valve, and I'll keep the original evaporator and probably the condenser. MAW issues may change my mind about the condenser, but I'm convinced that both coils are still in good condition, and a good flushing should be all they require.

Any opinions from you wrench heads who've already gotten into this are very welcome.

Incidentally, this thread is no longer about R12a...

The quality of the materials in some of the reproduction air conditioning condensers and evaporators is no where the quality of the original GM parts. Find NOS whenever you can, and they will always out perform the reproductions.

Originally Posted by Koda
I find r134a to cool sufficiently in an r12 system. It does not cool to original specs, but it does work. My vehicle with r134a in a r12 system was converted in 02, needed a charge in 09, and a charge in 15, and it will put out mid 60s air on max on a 100 degree day. It should be putting out 30s or so, but it does work enough for me.

It will go back to R-12 during a restoration some years down the road.

If you are planning on returning to R12 at some time in the future, start collecting all the necessary part now, since they are going to get harder to find in the future. In many instances getting the R134A fittings off of the R12 fittings is going to be difficult, if not impossible. Originally, they had barbs that would dig into the original threads if you tried to remove them. I have been told that the newer ones don't have this feature, but never having done a conversion in recent years, I can't say for sure. After having done a few conversions from R12 to R134A, with mediocre success of sufficient cooling, I realized that the savings of R134A wasn't worth the extra work to put it back to R12 when someone was dissatisfied with the cooling of the system. A system that was designed for R12 will always work better than trying to retrofit a R134A system into it. To me, it is like trying to adapt a Ford part to fit a GM car. It can be done, but at what cost?????

Last edited by Junkman; June 19th, 2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the input. I've been doing some browsing and apparently there are even folks out there that use difluoroethane from computer air dusters to recharge their AC:

To me this seems a bit like jury rigging an AC system. While I might be willing to use r12a or freeze 12 to recharge my AC system, I don't think I would be willing to use this trick. Thoughts?
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:14 AM

Conversion to R134a

I've only done one A/C conversion and it was on my 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible. I did this about 4 years ago when I had the entire power train out of the car. I'd previously done seal replacements on the older GM R12 compressors. That and availability/cost of R12, I felt it was time to move away from that compressor design. I replaced all of the R12 components with R134 components. My Cutlass isn't a show car so I wasn't concerned with the different look in the compressor; though I did save the original R12 compressor and mounts if I or someone else wanted that all put back. In the warm, humid coastal Virginia climate, I find that the R134 cools very well. I run the A/C on hot humid or rainy days when it's not comfortable to have the top down.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Don, you mentioned that you installed r134a components. Did you just install a Vintage Air system or did you replace pieces individually so you could run r134a?
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:08 PM

Don, you mentioned that you installed r134a components. Did you just install a Vintage Air system or did you replace pieces individually so you could run r134a?
In 2012, I purchased and installed items from Classic Auto Air, Tampa, FL. for my 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible. This included the replacement compressor with mounting bracket, POA valve, condenser, dryer, evaporator and all hoses. They were good to work with and quickly resolved the only issue that I encountered with the parts I purchased. I decided there was enough corrosion/oxidation on the 41 year old condenser and evaporator that I would bite the bullet and replace it all when I had the engine out of the car for rebuild. Here is a picture from today, showing some of the components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017 Cutlass AC.JPG (35.9 KB, 11 views)
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sorry, but after two repetitions, I have to respond to this.

R-134a is a molecule with two carbon atoms attached to each other, with four fluorines and two hydrogens attached to them.
Its diameter is 5.24Å.

R-12, with only one carbon, two fluorines, and two chlorines is smaller.
Its diameter is 5.09Å.

R-12 weighs more at 120.91, versus R-134 at 102.03, so R-12 is heavier (because those chlorines are heavier than those hydrogens), but that has nothing to do with what you're saying.

Sorry for going full NERD on you but the last thing we need is people to start substituting propane for R12 because its cheaper and readily available.

- Eric
Originally Posted by MDchanic
You're welcome.

No offense intended - it's just that all of us here try hard to stop inaccurate information before it starts, so that it doesn't get a leg up (I think we're the only site on the interwebs to do so. ).

- Eric
And you missed the biggest reason of all R12 is dichlorodifluoromethane which has no upper or lower explosive limit and propane is dimethylmethane which is a completely different chemical with different carbon bonds and has a UEL of 9.5% and an LEL of 2.1%. In other words R12 is not Propane. Another point to mention, with propane, the flame cannot travel into the lines due to the lack of oxygen so it can only burn in the vapor space which needs to be between 2.1% and 9.5%. To rich or lean it will not burn.

What we see in the movies with gas tanks on cars exploding doesn't happen, they rupture with a sudden rush. Just like that propane video. I've been to hundreds of car fires and have never once seen the violent explosions portrayed in Hollywood, however a propane tank can BLEVEI which will cause a much more violent rush.

The violent flame you see from R12 freon is most likely caused by the gas escaping and creating a vortex introducing more oxygen to an already burning fire.

The reason R12 was no longer manufactured is the damage it does to the ozone which protects us from the sun. R134a was its replacement.

Last edited by zeeke; June 19th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.