General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rallye350s

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2015, 05:12 PM

Rallye350s

Folks,

Just looking for any unique features on a Rallye350 that would help confirm that car was not built or cloned. I understand a highly motivated person could reproduce almost anything, but am more concerned about a caring seller that has owned a Rallye for many years, but it has a litany of previous owners and the trail is lost. That's been more who I have contacted to date.

In my searches I have heard about a grounding strap on the rear bumper to allow grounding of the license plate light. I have the usual articles with the info that is out there about build dates, Lansing, etc.

In my searches I have failed to find a car with a build sheet, BOS, Protectoplate, etc, that would help confirm.

Any advice appreciated. You folks are always very helpful.

Thx
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:51 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Documentation, documentation, documentation...calling out W45 on the Window sticker, broadcast card, dealer/delivery paperwork etc... would be full proof as long as the docs look like they are from 1970.
A numbers matching car would be nice. VIN of body on the block as well as the trans(autos) to match up with the W45 on the above mentioned docs. Look in hard to reach areas for another paint color.
3547 total Rallyes were built between O1A-ish and O5D or early June. All were Lansing built and must have the M in the vin. The vin ranges were reportedly ~239000 to 327000ish. So anything built earlier would be suspect. All had black interiors, either bench or bucket. All W45 Rallye 350s came standard with L-74, 310 HP, 350, #6 heads, -- paint code for special order Sebring yellow exterior. All came with the W25, OAI hood, FE2 suspension, W35 rear spoiler, N-10 dual exhaust with 442 cut out bumper, D35 mirrors, N34 steering wheel, Super Stock II (Some will say technically SS III wheels) painted Sebring yellow w/o trim rings as well as the urethane coated color keyed bumpers. That’s what made up the Rallye package.
Other options were available as well, A/C, power windows/locks/trunk, cruse Disc brakes etc…
Of the 3547:
-1020 were F85 Club (post) Coupes, with Stainless around door/quarter window, no carpet instead rubber mat, Cutlass script on fenders
- 160 were F85 Sport (post) Coupes with the Cutlass “S” options. No Stainless on the doors/quarter windows (which you would think would apply to the above Club Coupe vs the S?). Cutlass script on the fenders with “S” script under it and more more options like carpet.
-2367 were Holiday coupes (no post) and were typically loaded up with more options.
Keep in mind a few Cutlasses were special ordered in Sebring so the tag will have the -- Same goes for any special order color.
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:09 AM

everything he said above but earliest VIN is 237814 I know of

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post803190
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:19 AM

Rallye350s

Thanks for info.

I did not have the VIN range, that is great to have and the back end build date. I had read about the 2nd week in jan-ish.

Any guess on how many were produced with 4 speeds?

I have been looking for a real one and have only stumbled across Jimmy Hoffa and the Holy Grail in my journeys....

Thx
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:29 AM

Seems like the 1020 F85 Rallye post cars had a good number of 4 speeds , I found one but since saw quite a few other like it online but that could be the same car in different features.
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:39 AM

I have a pic on my phone of a newspaper clipping of a picture that a guy had with his Rallye 350 display in the OCA show in WI this Summer. It shows a whole mess of Rallye 350's in the snow behind the Lansing plant waiting on stripes in January of 1970.
"Rallye 350's waiting on stripes behind the assembly building in Lansing, Michigan in January 1970" Photo courtesy of Bob Casey who obtained it from Helen Early. Both the Rallyes I bought had January body tag dates of 1st week and 3rd week. with earlier body unit numbers than this guys car. His had a January 29 assembly line date and a February 14 sale date on the paperwork. He had the Broadcast sheets from the car too. I got pics of that that show his body number and Protecto Plate and warranty papers and W45 order form
Attached Images

Last edited by GEARMAN69; September 1st, 2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
...calling out W45 on the Window sticker, broadcast card, dealer/delivery paperwork etc...
I have to assume that if the OP had access to this documentation for a particular car, he wouldn't be asking the question.

Seriously, a car documented to that level will likely be significantly more expensive than one that is not (or at least, SHOULD BE).
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:42 PM

Rallye350s

Agree.

That has been my issue to date. I have come across a couple proper numbers matching cars (automatics), but still no original docs.

To be clear, if I find one (a Rallye), I have no intent to resell, it will be my kids problem ; ). I just want to ensure that if I find a numbers matching car, that has the 'findable' confirming stuff, that it is not a high-end clone, it will not be at the low end of the 350 market.

To the point made, if someone believes they have a real one, one whatever basis, there is always a kick-up in asking price.

That is why it is always great to know a couple of lesser-known things to look for that would help either build or breakdown the case for an original.

Thx