General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Under represented at swap meets?

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2015, 04:12 PM

Under represented at swap meets?

Wow...I knew Olds parts weren't as easy to find a for the more mainstream cars but now I've seen just how few and far between they are.

Just spent the last three days at the swap meets in Portland. Incredible number of vendors, parts and cars to see. If you were shopping for a Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle or Mopar then you'd have a hard time getting through all the booths.

Saw a few Olds cars for sale but really not much in the way of parts. On the bright side, I did pick up some clean marker lights, nice decklid "Oldsmobile" chrome trip for my '71 trunk lid, front bumper and a '71 455. Didn't see any body panels, grills or other stuff though. I knew there wouldn't be a lot of selection for what I was looking for, but did hope for something more than what I encountered.

On the flip side, one of the draws to the Cutlass for me was that they're not as common as the other cars...so this just adds to the challenge and accomplishment of playing with these cars.

And, met some good Olds folks along the way too which is never a bad thing. First time I've been to these massive swaps and no regrets.
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:42 PM

a great idea for an app or web site
When you arrive at the swap meet and get set up, post "spot A-4, 68-78 Olds stuff" or whatnot. Shoppers could go right to the spot they need to get to, and buyers could post "I am here looking for a '68 Vista Tailgate" or the like, and vendors could peruse the list and see if there is something they can provide.

Sort of expediting the meeting process.
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Randy C.

Try the Monroe swap meet in May. Again, Olds parts are few and far between, but what I like about the Monroe meet is that you get a good mix of both US and Canadian vendors with some variety.

And, it's closer!

Randy C.
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Try the Monroe swap meet in May. Again, Olds parts are few and far between, but what I like about the Monroe meet is that you get a good mix of both US and Canadian vendors with some variety.

And, it's closer!
The distance is minor compared to just getting off the island! I don't think Monroe will be in my budget this year but maybe next year. Good suggestion, though...a few people mentioned Monroe over the past couple days.
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:13 PM

I am hearing the same thing about the swap meets here in the south. Lots of chevy, camaro, mustang stuff, but very little, if any, Oldsmobile stuff.
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Back before the internet swap meets were the primary place to find parts. That and wrecking yards. I still enjoy going to them, but agree our Olds stuff isn't very common. I haven't been to the Portland swap meet since the 1990's but there's a swap meet in Albany Oregon that's pretty good. Still thin on the stuff we're looking for, but the last couple years I've found a few treasures there.

If you ever get down this far south your welcome to stop by and check out my collection of spare parts and trade stock. Most of what I have is 1964-72 with a scattering of 1950's and 73-77 stuff. Its always fun to meet members of CO and share stories & experiences with our hobby. John
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:00 PM

I started with VWs long before the internet and remember how hard it was to source parts back then. Amazing how we've come to depend on the technology to enhance our hobby now.
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:28 PM

The salvage yards here used to be full of cars and parts. With internet salvage yards, most of the parts have been shipped out to the rust belt and the local yards are bare.
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:05 AM

Smile swap meets in oz

And, it's closer!

Randy C.

could be worse... try being in Australia , looking at swapmeets for any thing olds , or parts for my rambler ....bloody hard ,got more chance to go live on mars!
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:23 AM

We are here at the swap meet still. Good to have met you and many other olds nuts like me i brought two cars and all i could pack easily. I won't haul body parts anymore. They are too hard to haul and someone always wants what I didn't bring. So i bring lots of pictures and do what we can. Wish it was easier to haul it all.

Was good to see everyone.

Larry
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this. Olds parts weren't that easy to get back in the 1970s. Frankly, it's easier to get parts now than then. If you want a car you can built out of a catalog, get a 69 Camaro. To the rest of us, the thrill of the hunt (for parts) and the fact that you don't see yourself coming and going at shows it why we collect these cars.
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Don't get me wrong...it's not a complaint - just an observation. I knew there wouldn't be a lot particularly compared to the more mainstream choices. I'm enjoying my Cutlass because it's NOT what everyone else has and the satisfaction of meeting the challenge when sourcing parts for the car is part of the enjoyment. And it makes the parts that I did find this weekend all the more appreciated.

Being new to the Olds scene and coming from the well supplied VW scene I'm probably allowed to be at least a little bit surprised the first time out ;-)

It was great meeting you too, Larry...maybe we'll have more time to chat next time. Hope the rest of the weekend went well for you too.
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

We were originally going to Portland but decided to pass. I've never been but everyone tells me it's a lot of fun. We are definitely going to Monroe this year again. There is usually a good mix of cars for sale including Olds and I remember there was at least two vendors with strictly Olds parts. A lot of 64-67 stuff too which is a rarity in itself.
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:19 AM

the secret to buying is go with the mindset...i'm not looking for anything....

everytime i go looking for specific stuff..i am so focused i miss stuff..

when i dont care...the stuff pops up..

i got a 70 cutlass grill (not supreme) for 5 bux and a 68 442 bumper for 50 yesterday at our local meet...wasnt even looking for those..and i do need them..
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by marxjunk
the secret to buying is go with the mindset...i'm not looking for anything....
^^^THIS!

If I'm looking for a specific part, it's from a repro vendor. I don't expect to find Olds parts, but I'm always looking. I often stumble over them. In prior years at Carlisle I've scored an N.O.S. 71-72 stone shield for $25, a pair of notched valve covers for $25, a pair of BBO manual trans cranks for $50, and a 455 short block core for $75.
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:57 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
^^^THIS!

If I'm looking for a specific part, it's from a repro vendor. I don't expect to find Olds parts, but I'm always looking. I often stumble over them. In prior years at Carlisle I've scored an N.O.S. 71-72 stone shield for $25, a pair of notched valve covers for $25, a pair of BBO manual trans cranks for $50, and a 455 short block core for $75.
I agree.

And I buy stuff all the time that I don't need just because it was at a good price.
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Kinda like the single person who can't find a good partner until they give up looking ;-)

I don't mind the hunt at all...looked almost everywhere, appreciated almost everything, found some things I knew I needed and found some things I didn't need but just wanted.
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Randy C.

I have everything I need, but...I'm always looking for that "needle in the haystack"...the carburetor core for $10-$15, the SSI "LY" wheel for $20-$30 that many don't seem to know what it goes to, a wayward exhaust manifold, 14 X 6 SII wheels for $10 or so each, even an "LE" SSI wheel if the price is right and the wheel is in decent shape...that's the fun of a swap meet for me!

Randy C.
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:55 PM

I have everything I need, but...I'm always looking for that "needle in the haystack"...the carburetor core for $10-$15, the SSI "LY" wheel for $20-$30 that many don't seem to know what it goes to, a wayward exhaust manifold, 14 X 6 SII wheels for $10 or so each, even an "LE" SSI wheel if the price is right and the wheel is in decent shape...that's the fun of a swap meet for me!

Randy C.
I'm driving through there in the morning, now I know where to stop for some shopping
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:03 PM

I go to several swap meets each year and, of course, I do not find much related to Olds. I go to a swap meet in Texas with over 5000 vendors and rarely find many decent parts but have found some nice parts over the years. I try to make it a point to look for a nice Olds find while I am there but that is not my soul focus. I do not take any Olds parts with me when I set up at swap meets because it just sits and I end up taking it back home since there are so few people looking for them.
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have everything I need, but...
Clearly you're doing something wrong, Randy.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Randy C.

Remember, I said "everything I need", not "everything I WANT"! Because, I want EVERYTHING!

Randy C.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this. Olds parts weren't that easy to get back in the 1970s. Frankly, it's easier to get parts now than then. If you want a car you can built out of a catalog, get a 69 Camaro. To the rest of us, the thrill of the hunt (for parts) and the fact that you don't see yourself coming and going at shows it why we collect these cars.

Very true. When I was doing cutlasses and 442's back in the 70s and 80s you could still buy parts cars for next to nothing and even still order parts from the dealer! The real challenge then and much more now are the Toronados, 98s, Starfires, etc. that hardly anyone is into - the very definition of orphan cars.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM

"Under represented at swap meets? "

Well, then, go there with parts for sale. Be the seller man.

When I had no one to help at all, I quit taking stuff. Also, 2007, just before the Big Recession, I sold not one part. Gave a bolt away. Tied to the spot all day, can't see or buy anything... pffft. No.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:39 AM

So true, going to a swap meet not looking for anything specifically and parts seem to pop up, unfortunately they are few and far between. I also was in Portland for the swap meet. A couple of interesting notes, there was a 1970 W30 Conv. for sale. It was being sold by the same guy who had a booth selling used "E" heads with the bottom line removed for $2000. I am glad I remembered the part number.
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:21 AM

As much as I love going to swap meets, it's always a bummer when I just can't find what I'm looking for. There are a few regular people I see at seasonal meets, but no one buys anything from them because they price their parts outrageously high!
I got extremely lucky last summer, buying a rear bumper in near perfect condition for only $35. Hoping to strike some luck again this season!