General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Treet Dom vs RPM for SBO w/ BBO Heads

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2014, 10:48 AM

Treet Dom vs RPM for SBO w/ BBO Heads

My basic combo is listed below. Looking for feedback as to whether it might be worth the trouble to spend time/money on a Street Dominator to see if I can pick up a little top end. I don't think there is any worry about low end power or response. Opinions welcome, experience (even anecdotal) priceless.

What does it take to get the SD to work w/ BBO size intake ports?

Is there apt to be much/any difference between the two?
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:51 AM

I can't answer your question but cutting the plenum divider down on the RPM will make a bit more power.
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bccan
What does it take to get the SD to work w/ BBO size intake ports?
This was going to be my question - is there enough meat on the SD to allow it to be port-matched to the BBO heads? I know the RPM has enough, but I have no experience with the SD.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Just an anecdote from my "in progress" build...I have the Pro Comp BB heads on a 380 and the RPM, as Joe mentioned there is / was plenty of meat on the intake but it took a substantial amount of work to match them
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:56 PM

Thread Revival

This has been discussed in another thread but I figured I would post some info here in hope of providing it for others or stimulating further discussion. With the availability of the Pro Comp heads & less resistance to using BBO iron heads on juicier SBO builds this may help clear some things up.

The RPM appears to be the only intake cast w/ enough material to open ports to BBO dimension.

I got around to checking gaskets against Street Dominator the other night. There is no way to open the ports up even near BBO height without a load of welding. The top of BBO port matches up to the top of the outer casting which is stepped up from the runner. We're talking 3/4" deep weld on top of the flange area at least, really should be done to entire length of runner for full effect.

FWIW - I intend to have manifold narrowed .070" as was done to my RPM, resurface the carb pad that previous owner mangled w/ a "fuzzy disc", gasket match to SBO gasket, clean up casting flaws in the runners & plenum and finally spray a heat barrier on bottom of manifold. Probably will grind off the Holley & SD logos but leave the Winters Foundry snowflake simply because I like it.

Yes I know, a lot of work & a few dollars spent but I want it "done" in case I find any gain in it's use & leave it on for the long term. I do wish we had a modern single plain intake that could be BBO port matched like the RPM as it seems the next step is to a Victor which is way past what would work on middle of the road SBO's running BBO heads.

Hopefully I will get this done, installed & tuned before September track rental so I can see if I get any positive result or just exercised my die grinder & wasted a bunch of time & a little bit of money.