General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1969 Cutlass Steering Wheel R&R Help.

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM

1969 Cutlass Steering Wheel R&R Help.

Never done a steering wheel replacment on a 69, suggestions? With the key in the column will I need a tool to remove the lock or will I be able to pull the nut and yank that puppy right off of the thing?
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM

nut and yank. Lock plate and whatnot are under that.

I made a special wheel puller minimalist design for boneyard runs. I had a store bought type refuse to work, it kept tipping over when forcing screw was tightened. So I made tubes that sturdify the forcing strap to steering wheel connection, in 3 lengths, with cutouts at the bottom to fit right. Proper length grade 8 screws for each set of tubes. Light small kit that has yet to fail. Takes a few minutes to install but then bam you are done.
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Leave the steering wheel nut on the last couple of threads. Without using a puller you sit behind the steering wheel, brace your self and grip your hands on the rim of the wheel and pull and rock on the steering wheel. With enough muscle it will break free.

Henry
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:20 AM

Sounds good guys thanks
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66400
Leave the steering wheel nut on the last couple of threads. Without using a puller you sit behind the steering wheel, brace your self and grip your hands on the rim of the wheel and pull and rock on the steering wheel. With enough muscle it will break free.

Henry
The potential problem with this method is that you can shear the plastic retainers in the telescoping column before the wheel comes loose. Just get the right tool and don't screw with it.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Agreed, the force should be between the steering wheel and the shaft tip, only.

I actually had one so tight that it not only tipped over the typical tool repeatedly, but it refused to release when tapping the tightened forcing screw, then when HAMMERING the tight forcing screw. I gave up when it literally started to bend the end of the steering shaft over instead.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM

This is the one I used to pull the steering wheel off of my '68 Cutlass

http://www.zoro.com/g/00059799/k-G15...Fa1FMgodPGgAGA
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:13 AM

I've got a puller that should work, if not I can rent one for a couple of bucks. Cheap insurance. Octania do you have a pic of your homegrown outfit you use? Howdy Joe!
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The potential problem with this method is that you can shear the plastic retainers in the telescoping column before the wheel comes loose. Just get the right tool and don't screw with it.
This is my opinion too. BTW, it Henry's method does require a huge amount of brute strength and I'm not convinced that the amount of side to side leverage and force wouldn't damage the shape of the wheel or maybe crack any of the plastic.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
This is my opinion too. BTW, it Henry's method does require a huge amount of brute strength and I'm not convinced that the amount of side to side leverage and force wouldn't damage the shape of the wheel or maybe crack any of the plastic.
That might be a concern for the Incredible Hulk, but I can guarantee that I don't have the upper body strength to bend or otherwise damage the steering wheel by pulling on it.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Actually my wheel is already cracked Allan, got a blue sport wheel to replace it. I agree with Joe that I might not have the juice to bend or bust it anymore by hand, but my hillbilly kicked in and I had an idea about cutting the shot out of a couple of 12 ga shells and see if that might eject the thing. :0/
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:12 PM

Just to let everyone this is a tried and true method of pulling a wheel off without a puller. Past couple weeks or so I've removed a 1960 Olds wheel, 71 buick, 67 GTO and 75 Pinto. A lot of them pop off with just a couple of tugs, some you have work at.

I have over the past 35 yrs removed literally hundreds of wheels this way. Most of my salvage cars come minus the keys so I have to pull the lock cylinder out off the column to test the car.

I will add I will not tempt fate if I had a perfect 66 Cutlass wheel to pull. For that one out comes the puller.

Henry
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:30 PM

But seriously Henry, weren't you scared crapless of a fire when you pulled the wheel on that Pinto? Dude, not sayin it ain't, and I get that you have a ton of experience, but we Are talking about me. My luck goes, I yank the wheel off the column and it strips ever blessed piece out of it, the car slowly begins rolling downhill in the back yard, picks up steam as it falls off the edge of the holler, jumps the creek, and starts taking Posey's leaf trees up by the roots. Garnet moves his mason jar as I fly past greeting him with a quick "howdy Garnet", ultimately quenchin the fire on the number 2 still. By the time I get control and back to the yard, I got a cat, three dawgs, and a possum in a live trap and have no idee where the hell any of them got into the car. I just can't afford to go to jail again Henry
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM

As I said I've pulled 100's of wheels this way but I did have to start with this first one also under the watchful eye of an old timer junk yard hand.

Dead Pintos don't scare me, but I have 400 plus cars on 6.5 acres with a thriving rattle snake population! Come across about 10 of them in an average year.

Speaking of runaway cars I have a sloping driveway, I pulled a wheel off a 81 Cutlass, removed the lock and put wheel back on, went to do something else and later I'm going move the Cutlass and as I roll down the bumpy hill the wheel pops off. I forgot to put the nut back on. It's hard to get the wheel back on when in motion!

Henry

Originally Posted by '69CutlassVert'
But seriously Henry, weren't you scared crapless of a fire when you pulled the wheel on that Pinto? Dude, not sayin it ain't, and I get that you have a ton of experience, but we Are talking about me. My luck goes, I yank the wheel off the column and it strips ever blessed piece out of it, the car slowly begins rolling downhill in the back yard, picks up steam as it falls off the edge of the holler, jumps the creek, and starts taking Posey's leaf trees up by the roots. Garnet moves his mason jar as I fly past greeting him with a quick "howdy Garnet", ultimately quenchin the fire on the number 2 still. By the time I get control and back to the yard, I got a cat, three dawgs, and a possum in a live trap and have no idee where the hell any of them got into the car. I just can't afford to go to jail again Henry
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Yeah Henry I ain't big on snakes, specially pieson snakes. Not a fan. I got a 82 Z28 Indy car I had to pull the lock on too. Forgot about it, reached through the window to turn it and push it back into the shed, there I was holding a wheel. It didn't take off on me but it was just one of them kinda not so proud moments in my life. Like falling on your butt, jump up and look around to see if anybody is watching
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:28 PM

Puller

These go on sale for $9 and work just fine for pulling steering wheels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piec...set-37824.html
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:59 PM

That's a deal!