General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Regarding the 70-W30 Black on black vert on ebay

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:49 AM

Regarding the 70-W30 Black on black vert on ebay

The seller states that the engine spun a bearing early on, was rebuilt to spec and has correct date coding. He never mentions the current block having the original V.I.N on the engine pad as stock (unless date coding is considered the same as V.IN code on engine stamp?). I assume the car maintains the correct factory V.I.N matching block for $375k, but I thought it was less than clear. Also, considering that some of these ebay sales are never finalized, it would be interesting to see first hand what this level of car would actually bring today at auction. Awesome car to say the least.

Last edited by capstoneclub; March 23rd, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM

Can you post a link to the car ? I would like to see it . Thanks.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:32 PM

Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201048545870...84.m1423.l2649

I love the comments:

Q: Hi, I attended the Mecum car auction in Saint Charles on October 2012. They had the Red "Cover Girls" for sale. All 1970 GM Muscle cars! If memory serves me correct, ( I have Aspergers Syndrome, so my memory is DAMN GOOD)! The LS6 Chevelle sold for $60,000. The Pontiac GTO sold for $80,000. The Oldsmobile 442 W-30 sold for.... drum roll please... $100,000! I was SHOCKED!!! I LOVE OLDSMOBILE and could not believe it beat a Chevy and a Pontiac. It just shows how much, and how fast the Oldsmobiles are gaining in popularity and VALUE! Just thought I would share this because of all the stupid and ignorant comments on your listing! I wish you well in your sale and will give my old rusty buddy... a 1972 Olds Cutlass, Black and Gold... a big hug! It is a driver car that I will enjoy for many years to come. Hope this info helps some!!! Please feel free to check this info for accuracy. Have a GREAT WEEK!!!Mar-23-14
A: Thanks for your email. It does seem like some people are still in denial that An Olds can be worth what a Chevy, Pontiac or Mopar is worth. I understand that it takes longer for some people to understand than others. Those people also just started to understand that the world is not flat , so let's give them some more time.
Q: HEY NOW THAT'S A GREAT CAR, PAPERWORK IS EVERYTHING, HOWEVER YOU ARE PREMATURE TO SUGGEST THAT THIS ENGINE IS COMPARABLE TO A LS6 ENGINE,ALSO, 44 YEARS IS A LONG TIME, THE CAR COULD HAVE BEEN PAINTED 40 YEARS AGO AND YOU WOULD SEE THE SAME FLAWS! $ 300,000 PLUS FOR IT, I DON'T THINK SO. BUT GOOD LUCK!Mar-23-14
A: Most of the paint is original. It has been verified by a professional and the original owner. Thanks for your good wishes.
Q: Hi, That sure is a great car. I am writing just to add my thoughts on the topic that seems to be getting a lot of attention. My 71 W-30 convertible just sold at Gooding and Co. at Amelia Island for a chunk of change. It was restored to perfection. Your's is 1 of 96 and my 71 counterpart is 1 of 32 (5 documented by OCA). I had every piece of documentation the car could have. I was the third owner of four even though there are only three listed in the ad. Everything you say about this majestic 442 is true and I hope you get your $$$ for it. Oh, by the way, before mine was restored, it was a triple black just like yours. Very desirable but the gold is growning on me. I think the last owner could have gotten more for a 1 of 32 at a different auction, but, hey, different strokes for different folks. Good luck man!! Great car!!! Here's the website for the sale of my old car. My name is listed in the listing. http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot....aspxMar-20-14
A: Thanks for the email and your support.
Q: Wow! It doesn't get any better than that! The perfect W-30!Mar-16-14
A: Thanks for your thoughtsQ: its ashame there are so many ignorant people in the world ,just like the guy saying hes going to buy all these 2014 cars which lose value soon as he pulls off the lot. and the guy saying about the cuda who cars.its a w30 convertible.so myself I would have a w30 convertible all day .but I also respect the guy who wants the cuda.come on guys if you don't like move on and let this guy sell his car.he is not looking for anyones approval or forcing anyone with a gun to buy hes car so if you don't like it or think its overpriced move on and get what you want.i work hard for my money and I buy what I want as should everyone.Nice car and sorry you have to put up with such negative people who have to much time on their hands.Mar-16-14A: Thanks for the email
Q: Hi Steve, Wow an awesome car!!! WAY out of my price range but it's nice to see W30s finally getting some respect in the collector car world!6 figures at the auctions on a regular basis!! I was fortunate to have grown up around them,so I knew how special they were way back then. As you certainly know a W30 stick has one of most sweetest sounding idles ever! Your car sure has generated allot of comments. I can't believe the "haters" out there though,Real class(all low).I do have a real '68 442,a fairly rare factory a/c 4spd car. It's a mostly original,very nice"driver"I have a matching "matchbox" model of it too!!!LOL. As far as the carpet wear goes,It's a stick shift,That adds a ton of wear on the carpet. My everyday driver is a '10 fusion 6spd,I've gone through 3 drivers carpeted mats in 80k!Maybe those horrible platform shoes everyone wore back in the '70s had something to do with it too!!!Good Luck with your auction!!!!.Hope you get some good $$$ for it!!Take care>>>RobMar-15-14
A: Thanks for the great email Rob.
Q: Could you please post a picture of the hole and condition of the rest of the carpet on the drivers side ? THANKS MARK ! Mar-15-14A: I will be happy to post a pic ASAP.
Q: Just had to say what a great looking car, way out of my price range, but nit my appreciation for Olds Your comment back to the guy ask WTF on the price... "I like to see matchbox collection some day" Perfect...and Good Luck!Mar-15-14
A: Thanks for the email
Q: Any pix of the drag racing days? What did she run? Headers at one time? Why didn't the PO order the M22 Rock Crusher? When did he realize it was so rare and potentially valuable? Just curious... Oh, and we just bot a lake front log house, 300' gently sloping w a 60x90 warehouse for $300k... Wife's happy-) I'll just have to keep collecting Corvairs. Could be worse, she could make me drive a FordMar-15-14
A: He only raced on the street and never went crazy with mods. Never even used headers.
Q: Hi nice car I read the part about the W-27 rear end it brought back memerios in the late 80's when my brother had his 70 W-31 cutlass turbo 400 with the dual gate it had the W-27 rear end with I believe 3:55 gears he took the rear end out replaced it with a 68 12 bolt 3:91's.He sold the W-27 to a guy with a 67 chevelle for $150.00!! He kicks himself in the *** now.I also know of a 70 station wagon in road island that has the W-27 in it from the factory,AS for your W-30 stick to your guns it's worth every penny Thanks.Mar-14-14
A: Wow a station wagon with a W27. That's cool. Thanks
Q: The option sheet has the dealer listed as coming out of Bridgeport,Conn. Why would the car have GM Canada documentation unless it was originally sold in Canada?Mar-14-14
A: It does not have anything from Canada. The docs are from Bridgeport CT.
Q: Nice car of course....but the passenger side exhaust. Looks a little bit extended (trumpet) compared to drivers side. Was the exhaust system changed at some point? Also what mufflers are on the car? And in closing is the exhaust system welded at the joints? i.e. pipe to pipe. Please advise. Thanks in Advance.Mar-14-14A: Pass side muffler has been replaced. Both muffler are held on with clamps. The rest of system has no other clamps.Q: The gentleman does have a point about the 2" hole in the carpet with only 44k on the car ? Did you get the W30 from a cowboy and maybe he was wearing spurs . Just thought I would ask . Take Care and good luck with your asking price you'll need it but there is a fool born everyday 'Mar-12-14
A: I'm glad that you are giving this so much thought. The cowboy with spurs theory is a new one. The original owner of the car lives 15 minutes from me and was here last week telling me stories of street racing back in the day. I will ask him if he wore spurs for you. If he did, will you be hitting the buy it now button?
Q: It was a black,white stripes,parchment interior,Muncie M21 4 speed.Nickey Chicago had it.Mar-12-14
A: Sweet!
Q: Just to add a little to the conversation,I sold a 70 442 W30 HT coupe about 15 years ago for 17K,and I heard it sold recently for in the 100K range in unrestored condition.Good luck with your sale.Mar-11-14
A: It sounds like you should have held on a litter longer. What color and Trans? Thanks for the email.
Q: I came close to buying a similar 71 W-30 black convertible in Lake Bluff, ILL, 15 years ago.He was restoring an white one with a ton of options. I can't believe all the harsh emails.Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay or you are willing to turn down. 2 million dollars for a 71 Hemi Cuda coupe and no one says a word, huh. True investor realize the car is only original once & documentation is crucial for high end valuations. FYI- i know a guy who has a triple black Hemi Cuda convertible, he bought it 2 years ago from a guy that had it for 20. I believe it insured at $375K. As soon as i hit the Lotto, i';ll be burning rubber in your car Hang in there, they're all haters,broke dic know it alls. Hey people what about the 9 year old Sheik from Katar, he paid $40 million for the #1 (0001) license plate, money went to charity! Beautiful, super rare car in the best color combo!!! They're all jealous and can't afford the price of admission. Jim Mar-11-14
A: Well put Jim. Thanks for the email.

Last edited by 67 Cutlass Freak; March 23rd, 2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:33 PM

Q: I ordered a 1970 442 convertible in Sept of 1969 with all the bells an whistles. The only time the sales guy looked up at me was when I said I want an M-21 4-sp, ran it up to $5400.00. Since I still own it I have been following all major and most minor auctions thru Old Car weekly since 1985. Just my opinion but I think you may get an offer of around $200k, and then again you may not. Anyway good luck.Mar-11-14
A: Thanks for your email. Unfortunately those mags rarely have accurate info because most serious cars change hands privately. I would agree with you if I had not already sold 3 of the known 70 W30 4spd converts in a much higher price range than that. Best regards
Q: I just wanted to add a couple of corrections to your listing material. The 1970 W-30 engine was rated at 370HP not 380. The RAIV Judge sales you site are a bit high. The highest price for a GTO Judge RAIV convertible was 682K, which was an aberration. It was a one of one 1969 Judge Convertible in starlight black with a four-speed from the Milt Robson collection. It was concours restored. The next highest sales have all been in the 300-400k range for 1970 RAIV Judge Convertibles You are right about the Olds W-30s climbing in price recently. There have been private sales reported in the 400K-450K range for elite cars with bulletproof Canadian documentation. However, the highest auction price was for the Rally red Thornton car, which was misrepresented with false paperwork. My friend who inspected the car at auction for a potential customer said it also had numerous other issues including subpar restoration work. Just wanted to provide a bit of feedback and wish you good luck! Mar-11-14
A: Thanks for your email. You obviously are in tune with what is going on. The reason that I said it has 380hp instead of the advertised HP is because the engine has been on a dyno and that is the actual HP. As far as your Judge sales go, the ones that you list are accurate but you must not have known that the 70 Orbit orange car sold in the range that I mentioned. I agree that very special examples can almost double an average example in value. I appreciate your input. It is nice to hear from knowledgable people like your self in addition to the other people that Are entertaining all of us with there point of view.
Q: buddy hey? i really got a kick reading your add ! i cant belive i even read the whole thing thru ! wow you must be really stuck in a time warp! dude do you think Any body cares ??? HOW THE **** DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT ASKIN PRICE ???? i want what WHAT your smokin !!! ill pay top dollar for it !!! its def a real cool car but 375K ???? you must be brain dead ! im sorry i wasted MYtime and yours LOLMar-10-14
A: Really, you read my whole ad all the way through. I am flattered that such a high level collector such as your self would take the time to do so. I would love to check out your matchbox collection some day.
Q: I was thinking of buying your vehicle and but I am having some difficulty in the decision...I could purchase SIX new 2014 Corvettes 11.9 qt.-mi. 190 mph....or purchase a new 2014 Viper 10.9 qt.-mi 205 mph... and a new 2014 Shelby GT 500 11.2 qt.-mi. 202 mph and a NCRS TOP FLIGHT 1967 Corvette 427/435HP 12.8 qt.-mi 160 mph.....or I could buy a 2006 Ford GT 11.2 205 mph qt.-mi. and a 2014 ZL-1 Camaro 11.9 qt.-mi 195 mph...or buy your 14 second 110mph 442 for 375k....Hmmm....and you say?Mar-10-14
A: Different people have different tastes. Some like yourself choose quantity over quality. It is a good thing that you didn't buy a Ford GT 40 when they were $375k. You could have gotten even more cars similar to the ones on your list back then (10 years ago)So what if an original GT 40 is worth many millions right now, you could have had lots of fast driving cars instead of one fast appreciating car.

Last edited by 67 Cutlass Freak; March 23rd, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM
morgan

I must say the the seller has some great answers for a few of those ' a hole' questions
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:49 PM

I asked the seller my question:

He confirmed that the block is not original to the car. It is a 70 correct date coded block.
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
He confirmed that the block is not original to the car. It is a 70 correct date coded block.
I think the price just dropped a couple hundred k then
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Then every part and date code should be looked at, to see how far from original it has strayed. The entire engine was out.

I agree his answers are superb:
"Different people have different tastes. Some like yourself choose quantity over quality. It is a good thing that you didn't buy a Ford GT 40 when they were $375k. You could have gotten even more cars similar to the ones on your list back then (10 years ago). So what if an original GT 40 is worth many millions right now, you could have had lots of fast driving cars instead of one fast appreciating car."
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Octania;674690]Then every part and date code should be looked at, to see how far from original it has strayed. The entire engine was out.

X2
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Senior Moment Member

I just bought it.
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Senior Moment Member

Just kidding.
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Is that your buddy, Jim?
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Senior Moment Member

No I don't think it is. His was a restored car that was sold a while back. There were no issues as to block numbers, etc. That's a lot of coin for that car. Even perfect I would expect no more than 170k on the high end. But, that's my opinion. The magazine I have doesn't mention the aluminum rear carrier. I think it would if it was on the car.