General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds 98 Ride

Old July 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Post Olds 98 Ride

1995 Olds Regency Elite. Got 136000 + miles on her. Really a nice car.

The car is riding really hard on the front end. Thought maybe the front suspension was going so I did a "bounce" test and it stabilized immediately. So I'm thinking the front struts are ok, right?

Next, yesterday when it was raining cats & dogs, I was out in that crap and the car was riding really nice and solid just like it was new.

I am not the first owner of this car, and to be honest I don't know it's previous history. I have sunk about $5000 into repairs on this car: rear suspension (level ride) replace rotted rocker panels (both sides), AC compressor, new exhaust system, new brakes, new windshield, new front brake lines, transaxle seal, intake manifold gasket, new power antenna, replace defective AM/FM CD Cassette Theftlock Stereo + 2 sets of new tires - 4 summer, 4 winter ice radials (+the alloy rims of course)

I'm either a glutton for punishment or something, but I don't have unlimited finances. ANYWAY, I really love this car but don't love it's ride right now. Is there any bushings that might be worn on the strut that swells in the rain and isolates the ride? Or is it just time to change the struts?

Allan R
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM

There is a bushing between the strut and the strut tower. If you replace the struts make sure you replace this bushing. If you decide to replace the bushings you might as well replace the struts as well since you have to remove them. You should check your auto parts store and see if there are quick struts available for your car. These already have the springs installed on them and you get a core charge for your old struts when you return them.
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Allan R
1995 Olds Regency Elite. Got 136000 + miles on her. I have sunk about $5000 into repairs on this car: rear suspension (level ride) replace rotted rocker panels (both sides), AC compressor, new exhaust system, new brakes, new windshield, new front brake lines, transaxle seal, intake manifold gasket, new power antenna, replace defective AM/FM CD Cassette Theftlock Stereo + 2 sets of new tires - 4 summer, 4 winter ice radials (+the alloy rims of course)
Allan R
Finally.......
Someone more insane than I.
Welcome welcome.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Everyone has their own cross to bear. Guess insanity must be one of mine. Thanks. Is that a 84 Delta Racer??? Nah, not with that high performance 307...
Thanks, nice to be here.

Allan R
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

Allan, you might have tires with very hard rubber and rated for good performance in rain/snow/sleet. I had a set of very expensive tires on my daily driver '99 LeSabre and they were very harsh and noisy but very solid in poor weather.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Dan,
I use Michelins in the summer. I bought a set of Uniroyal nail guard tires when I bought this car, but they wouldn't stay balanced so I ditched them for the more popular Michelins. Admittedly the summer tires do seem to have pretty hard rubber (they've got about 30000 miles on them) but I always thought a radial, especially Michelins had a softer ride. I use Goodyear Ice Radials in the winter. And yes, the super soft winter tires do tend to ride a little softer.

Allan R