General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Duplicolor vinyl/dash paint match GM?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM

Duplicolor vinyl/dash paint match GM?

Just looking for a quick answer or review on Duplicolor vinyl/dash/carpet paint. Does it match GM gloss black or is there another brand anyone has used for refinishing door panels, dash's, etc. Thanks

RJ
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would not recommend a gloss finish on the dash. Semi-gloss is what I have read most folks use.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:25 PM

use SEM landua black it is a direct 100% match
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:44 PM

Thanks Fun71, do you recomend semi gloss because of the higher gloss fading or what?

LI Olds: Autozone doesnt carry SEM products where Im at which is why I was hoping I could use the Duplicolor. I've been looking for products that are readily availible.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator

If your not doing a "purist type" of resto, you can use the duplicolor black. The reason for not using gloss on the dash is glare on a very sunny day.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:12 PM
72 Olds CS

carquest carries SEM

napa might

amazon does too

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sa...landau%20black
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The reason for not using gloss on the dash is glare on a very sunny day.
What he said.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

My Wallet wont "allow" me to be the purist type...atleast not yet! But I think the Duplicolor turned out nice! I think I will take the advice about the dash though and go with a semi gloss!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-05-01 11.00.09.jpg (95.4 KB, 60 views)
2013-05-03 10.25.17.jpg (100.3 KB, 61 views)
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM

I've looked at two auto paint stores at SEM and can't seem to find a 1970 trm974 color m43 gold dye. I've found it by OER, has anyone used it before?

Last edited by Kibby70; July 1st, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM

Kibby you can get that mixed in the exact color at your local paint store, car paint that is and if they carry SEM they can mix it in the quart to the color code if they have the book but they can cross reference the paint code on their computer and get a match. If you dont have a compressor or touch up gun you can buy the Prevail paint system for cheap, its a bottle with a compressed air can on top and you mix you paint in the bottom and it spays a nice pattern for your dash or any other interior parts. You can buy the refill cannisters without buying the bottle. Anyway it works!
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks, compressor I have, thanks, I'll let you know. I've got some vinyl samples coming form legendary before they do the doors.

Last edited by Kibby70; July 1st, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:01 PM

I only found the Landau Black in flat. Is that the same stuff?
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:10 AM

Kibby, what Dave says is the way to go.
I used Dupont Chromabase Vinyl- the supplier can mix any known color in ready to spray vinyl with whatever gloss level you need. I am just finishing up on a 70 442 gold restore. I had researched the 974 interior code with Dupont - and cross referenced the known GM WA#'s (factory color codes) - the darker gold for the dash/column/etc. is 1970 GM code 58 - Dupont#5117 - you will need low and med gloss - it was a great color match. The lighter gold for the seats/door panels/etc. was 1969 GM code 65 - Dupont #2106 - I also had new legendary door panels/seat covers and this formula was a little too yellow - I had the supplier custom mix a formula for me and the match was great - if you decide to go with DuPont I can get the formula off the label if you need it. Invest in the correct vinyl pre-cleaner and adhesion promoter for long lasting results.

http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/rg...?sort=6&page=1
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:58 AM

Thanks, I'll remember that. Getting the floorboard cleaned and sealed now, then on with the heat and sound wrap. Some one had installed new carpet but didn't do any prep work under it. Knees are a little sore. Lots of scraping and brushing. Got a buddy coming over today and we'll try to drill and repen drivers door hinge. Still waiting for the color samples from Legendary, but if yours was off I'm sure these will be to, I did ask for a sample of their 69 gold also. Hopefully the dash will clean up enough that it will stay , but the upper windshield trim will have to match the dash I think and they are pretty worn looking. If I read yours correctly you didn't use any of the metallic paint. If I can fine a duplicolor dealer I'll get those codes from you.
kibby70
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Was in reference to what someone had commented about with metallic interior colors mixed colors sprayed with a gun vs. spray cans is the better way to go.
Those codes and colors are metallic - correct per the GM factory color code WA# for 1970 Oldsmobile Gold interior - cross referenced to Dupont #'s - ready to spray does not need thinner or reducer but has to be sprayed thru a spray gun. If you don't use Dupont Chromabase Vinyl, find a supplier and give them the Dupont #'s and have them cross reference to SEM. Colors fade and change over time so what ever you spray will never be an exact match to an existing original part. In my case the new legendary stuff was not an exact match to the vinyl spray mixed with the original correct code - to be expected - I am picky - it was a little too yellow so I had my supplier custom mix and it was matched to the legendary door panels and seat covers, he used the original code and tinted it, it was used on the arm rests, seatbacks, headrests and console.
Old July 7th, 2013, 06:22 AM

That's the way I plan to go. The only new interior will be seat backs,ARM rests and door panels. The back seat seems to be new, so I was trying to match that color to respray the front seats, console, kick panels and new 8track housing for my gauges. I got the samples from Legendary, and the 69 color is a lot duller than the back seats but a good match for the dash an kick panels. I may have to have both mixed after I order the panels and get them here. May have to spray the back seat too. Bit it will look good when I finish. Fingers crossed. Thank, Kibby.
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Kibby I did an entire interior color change with the Dupont chromabase vinyl dye and the seats were the toughest but its the prep that makes the difference, clean is the word and using vinyl precleaner and the adhesion promoter is key also go lightly with the adhesion promotor, a little light coat works really well. Also I use alcohol before the vinyl cleaner and I use a air nozzle to blow out between the seams. All the prep makes a world of difference.
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks Dave, I got time to do it right. The paint store told me the same thing, mineral sprits or lacker thinner. But everybody's looks so good on here, what about primer on the new black pieces I have? None of them are vinyl just plastic.
I had enougjt for today, but the floor looks good. Let it dry and paint it tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM

interior dye

These are some pics from a while back when I did a friends 70 interior and the dash is mine I just did yesterday.
Attached Images
interior 14.jpg (22.0 KB, 30 views)
interior 15.jpg (22.6 KB, 30 views)
interior 13.jpg (38.9 KB, 32 views)
interior 16.jpg (19.0 KB, 28 views)
interior.jpg (36.3 KB, 34 views)
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM

interior dye

Kirbby, I would not use mineral spirits it has too much oil in it and be sparing with the laquer thinner it can warp and soften your old vinyl, I use it but very carefully and with clean cotton rags only, and then I use vinyl prep and alcohol. I dont use the primer as the build up of coats fill the vinyl grain, I use the vinyl adheshion promoter in a light coat and then I apply the vinyl with a very light mist coat for your first and then two light coats or 3 until you achieve even coverage and the desired look. Here are some pics of my dash from yesterday..
Attached Images
interior 2.jpg (46.8 KB, 39 views)
interior 3.jpg (51.9 KB, 40 views)
interior 4.jpg (48.9 KB, 39 views)
interior 5.jpg (47.0 KB, 32 views)
interior 12.jpg (38.2 KB, 26 views)
Old July 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM