General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

4 speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM

4 speed conversion

What are you guys thoughts on converting a 71 442 conv. (all original drivetrain with one repaint. Green with green interior. Probably gonna paint different color and change interior and add some options) to a 4- speed? Do you think it will hurt the value of the car since I am going to paint it a different color and change the interior anyway. It is a real 442 conv. I just think a 4-spd would be a lot of fun?
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM

My opinion is to do what you like...in 71 4spds were getting rarer as an option choice. The only time value will be an issue is when you sell the car. Sounds like you will keep it a while so not to worry. Save the original parts should the next owner want to put it back the way it came. Its hard to predict if the 4spd conversion will hurt or enhance value when it is time to sell.
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

Do what you want with it. I would do it if I were you though, especially since other parts won't be restored to original.
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

You ARE aware that the crank on an Olds motor that originally came with an automatic usually will not be drilled for the pilot bearing needed for a manual, right?
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Question other questions

Hi Joe,
Yes I am aware of the issue with the crank. I have some other questions now that you bring it up:

Were power disc brakes an option with a 4-spd?
I am aware the W-30 4-spd. did not have power brakes due to vacuum or lack of.
Was that because of the w-30 cam or was that true for 4-spds in general?
If I do this conversion should I change the cam?
Would I still have power brakes?
What about the carb, isn't there 4-spd carbs that were unique too?
How will this car run if I just change the trans to 4 spd. and not do anything with brake booster, camshaft or carb.
If I put a new w- 30 cam in I assume that it would not make enough vac?
Would there be a big difference in an auto carb compared to a 4-sp carb?
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Year One sells an adapter that will allow you to stick a throughout bearing on the back of your crank. its a lot of work, but its do able. Swapping the transmission shouldnt do much to your setup. even if you do have power brakes, power brakes dont require much vaccum to operate. hence why they work at idle. You shouldnt need to swap the cam at all.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scrappie
Hi Joe,
Yes I am aware of the issue with the crank. I have some other questions now that you bring it up:

Were power disc brakes an option with a 4-spd?
I am aware the W-30 4-spd. did not have power brakes due to vacuum or lack of.
Was that because of the w-30 cam or was that true for 4-spds in general?
It was the 328 degree cam that didn't provide sufficient vacuum for PB or A/C. The dirty little secret is that "W-30" cars with PB or A/C (first available in 1970) did NOT get the 328 degree cam. How these engines made the same horsepower is a mystery of advertising. As for PB with 4spd, that was an available option on non-W cars.

If I do this conversion should I change the cam?
That's not necessary and is unrelated to the trans issue. It only comes up on the W-cars because the assumption at the time was that if you ordered the manual trans, you wanted the most performance at the expense of comfort. If you ordered the A/T, it was assumed you cared more about comfort. These are marketing decisions. Your cam choice depends on how you plan to use the car. If you're happy with your current cam, there's no need to change it.

Would I still have power brakes?
Yes, this is unrelated to the transmission selection.

What about the carb, isn't there 4-spd carbs that were unique too?
How will this car run if I just change the trans to 4 spd. and not do anything with brake booster, camshaft or carb.
It will run just fine. One question to consider, however, is the overall gearing. I had a 442 with a close ratio Muncie and 3.08 gears (not original). The car was a complete dog off the line. If you don't currently have a transmission, consider an aftermarket 5-spd or 6-spd. The price of Muncie transmissions has risen to insane levels thanks to restorers and a new or lightly used 5 spd won't be much more expensive. With a steeper first gear and overdrive, it should be more fun to drive.

If I put a new w- 30 cam in I assume that it would not make enough vac?
Yes, although to be honest, cam technology has come a lot further since the 1960s. There are much better grinds available from the aftermarket than the 328 deg W-30 cam.

Would there be a big difference in an auto carb compared to a 4-sp carb?
The carb will need to be jetted for the specific combo you have. Except for the rare W-30 Qjet that does not use primary metering rods, all Qjets have about the same potential.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Who makes the 5 and 6 spds? Do they bolt right in just like a muncie? I have a 3:08 rear so what rear is ideal with the M21 or M22?
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Who makes the 5 and 6 spds? Do they bolt right in just like a muncie? I have a 3:08 rear so what rear is ideal with the M21 or M22?
http://www.keislerauto.com/
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I guesw what I am trying to say is: If I were to do this conversion I would like my A/c to work, power brakes to work, I would like the car to be able to get off the line nicely and chirp between gears, I would still like to be able to cruise down the highway without winding the engine. Just would like a strong running and good performing auto with a lot of options.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:48 AM

........ to a 4- speed? ........
Original GM 4 speed (2.20 first gear) ratios were application specific to the 283 inch '57 Corvette, for use in road racing.

Not an ideal combination for the street, or a for 455 Olds.

........ Do you think it will hurt the value ........
Are you in it for the money? Exxon stock (I'm getting richer by the minute) is a far better investment.

Norm
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

I guesw what I am trying to say is: If I were to do this conversion I would like my A/c to work, power brakes to work,...
Neither of which have ANYTHING to do with the transmission selection.

...I would like the car to be able to get off the line nicely and chirp between gears, I would still like to be able to cruise down the highway without winding the engine. Just would like a strong running and good performing auto with a lot of options.
I would strongly recommend the 5-speed conversion.