General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Annoying craigslist trend

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Annoying craigslist trend

Ok, has anyone seen this new trend going around craigslist where someone will post a car and then a few weeks later will make an entirely new post (rather than just renewing their old post like their supposed too) and now the price has actually gone UP $500 or $1000??

Its really annoying. I dont get the logic behind it. If nobody is interested at $4000 what makes anyone think people are suddenly going to change their mind at $4500? I mean, when i look at the price of a car and say "yeah thats a little too steep for me" i typically dont think "..but if i had to pay $500 more id probly feel like i was getting a sweet deal" The only half-assed logic i can get from it is that maybe these guys are thinking if they jack up the price again and again every couple weeks then the low-ballers will stop asking to buy a $4000 car for $1200 since they see the guy is now asking more. That or they think they can lure in suckers by saying "well now im asking more, so you shouldve bought it back when i first posted it, and now who knows, i might jack the price up again, so you might as well buy it now before that happens"

Whatever reasoning is behind it its really stupid and terrible marketing. Sometimes i feel like everyone has lost their F-ing mind in this country lol. You dont sell a car by continually raising the price every time someone says "thats a little more than im comfortable spending on it". In fact its the EXACT OPPOSITE of what needs to happen lol. I would think maybe these people dont want to sell their cars, maybe its their wives making them post it so they do that to irritate buyers so nobody shows up and they dont have to sell their favorite toy...but thatd be a LOT of wives cause its a pretty common trend now haha.

Over the past couple months ive been checking in on this restorable 70' Formula Firebird thats for sale in my area (i do this as kind of a running gag cause i have to get my laughs somewhere and this always does it for me). No joke, over the past couple months ive watched this car go from $5500 to $9000. Every few weeks it goes up $500 and im just like "dude, i dont care what numbers are on the build sheet if its a rotted out piece of crap its a rotted out piece of crap and raising the price isnt getting anyone anywhere" First of all its hilarious that someone would raise the price of their vehicle almost to the point of doubling their initial asking price, secondly its hilarious to ask $9000 for a a restorable shell of a car, no matter what it started its life as
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:27 AM
delete

I have noticed the same thing. I don't get it either. You also have guys that post their cars every couple of days and the price goes up & down like crazy.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think the first problem is that you are annoyed by this. Who cares if some idiot wants to waste their time posting unrealistic prices to C/L? Life's too short...
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM

annoyed

I think these are folks that list a car they really don't want to sell, they are just testing the market. So when i list my 69 442 for sale in the next month or so, don't be annoyed because I plan to start where I think is fair, and I am sure some folks will think it's priced right, others will post the usual remarks picking the car apart and think it's priced wrong. Joe hit it right on the mark, don't sweat the small stuff.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
car guy

The ones I don't get are the ones for the same price month after month. There is a 72 Chevelle from Tyler that has been in the Dallas CL for at least 8 months now. The price has never changed from the $5000.00 he started at. Its about a $2500.00 car and he reposts at least every 2-3 days.
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
The ones I don't get are the ones for the same price month after month. There is a 72 Chevelle from Tyler that has been in the Dallas CL for at least 8 months now. The price has never changed from the $5000.00 he started at. Its about a $2500.00 car and he reposts at least every 2-3 days.
Yeah i tend to see that too. Theres a guy near me who had a longblock 454 for sale for $900. Just the longblock, and it was like a 76 or something so nothing special, $900 for like 2 years straight with the comment "price is FRIM so dont waste my time" until one day its posted for like $500 cause he found out it was really a 396 hahaha

Last edited by Vega; April 16th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

i just stay away from craigslist as much as possible. It all comes down to how they are on the phone. i bought a bed for my 94 dodge ram listed at 500 and i told the guy 350 on the phone then i looked at it and im llike " dude it's pretty beat up" after he brought it down with the forklift . I told him 200 and it goes on my trailer". he agreed lol . Good deals are far and few for me on cl. they guy i work with is constantly crusing craigslist for stuff and so are my friends . Id rather hit the local junkyards or swap meets.
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Not c/l, but epay, there was a 66/67 wagon. Guy was originally asking around 1200 starting bid, now he has a bin of 9,000
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM

I really like craigslist myself, what i tend to find is its a LOT easier buying on craigslist than selling. With buying you get those annoying guys who play the game i was talking about jacking their stuff up a couple hundered every week, but when youre selling its three times as annoying listening to the guys calling you saying "ahh man i know how craigliss work, yo car is listed fo fouh grand but i know you take fi-teen-hunnahd right?" im like "not even close...man..." *click* It is a pretty cool place to find parts though, ive had awesome luck getting motors through craigslist, the three 455s i got were in awesome shape and i got them for an awesome price. Also being able to pick up stuff in person locally is really convenient, ive had USPS break way too many of my ebay items lol. Its an alright place to shop around, just gotta weed out all the annoying trends and morons thinking their $3k car is worth $12k. Lots of people with Cutlasses think they have a Chevelle anymore. And way too many people think their project cars are worth the same price as a driver-quality version of the exact same car. "well its a 71' man, how many 71s do you see around? its worth it man, trust me" im like "true, i dont see many 71s around, but rare doesnt always mean valuable"
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Selling on craigslist can bring very frustrating experiences.

Making the price higher is one way to get rid of "tire-kickers".

I was tired of people wanting to test drive my 40+ year cars and do nothing.

Then I adopted the policy of charging $50 for a test drive-refunded if the car was purchased!

Problem solved.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Yeah, thats a smart plan. Also a good one ive seen is "you can only test drive if you have cash in hand and i can see it" lol, thats probly what im gonna do from now on. Ive had a couple people nearly wreck my camaro on test drives -_-' people are terrible these days