General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is this worth $200,000

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Is this worth $200,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...item27c5c7c41f
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:54 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
no
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM
1970 442

"This is the only 1970 442 convertible that exists with a Factory Experimental Aluminum 455 in the world."

Clever wording. It may be the only convertible with aluminum Olds engine, but there was a 1970 W-30 hardtop and silver 1970 W-31 that were at the 2008 Olds Nationals, both had all aluminum Olds engines.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM

Although the car is assembled with some rare parts, I'd think the motor alone would be worth that!
Just hope it has steel sleeves, [probably] and not that Vega silicone/aluminium blunder!
What did that ZL-1 all aluminium Chevy re-pop go for a few years ago??
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM

to someone it is. I think its a cool car with a neat engine but at my age I rather buy 4 newer used cars (CTS-V, Camero, Mustang and Challenger), a real W30 and a Pantera than one 200,000 muscle car
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM

It is a very interesting modified 442. Thorton sold a nice red 442 convertible for $150k at auction no w-27 no aluminum 455. So I say to the right person it is worth over 100k and less than 200k. You could not build that car for $150k if it is as nice as it looks and where would you find an aluminum 455. Heck I could not even afford to buy my own 442. Lee

Wonder if he would trade for a gold 442........

Last edited by leepear; April 11th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM

yeah, the motor is cool and all but, i would rather buy an original and matching car and have enough money left over to build a nice garage than one car and a tarp from k-mart lol to cover it up with, but i dont have a butt load of money either so what do i know.lol
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

I don't know much about rare builds or exactly how rare the aluminum 455 is, but the guy I bought my convertible from last year has an aluminum 455 block.
He offered it to me for $3500, he told me the story how his friend snuck it out of the factory, etc.

There was no way I was gonna drop that kind of cash without any research first.
I don't know if he still has it or not.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For $196,900, you'd think he'd have used an original-style radiator cap, and not one off the shelf from WalMart.

Makes you wonder what else he "forgot."

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:49 AM

You can go to ROP and read more about it. Very limited market, guy took a non matching numbers four-speed and put in the engine so that makes a lot of sense, he did not ruin an original car. Still a very very limited market and yes we could probably pick the car to pieces just like you could to mine, I'm still trying to find the original radiator I traded in as a core 12 years ago - UGH!
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Not to be a stickler, but those gauge bezels look like they've had better days.

For that price, i expect it to look like it came from the factory.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
For $196,900, you'd think he'd have used an original-style radiator cap, and not one off the shelf from WalMart.

- Eric
He didn't forget anything,maybe he wanted a stronger cap that don't leak. This is not a nut and bolt restoration,it's a creation that there's only one. If you guys can't appreciate what this car is,keep the negative comments to yourself. You ask why I'm taking an interest in the car,I know it very well and he's a friend of mine.I turned him onto the motor, I knew where it was. Duplicate the car exactly and get back with me on the costs. As far as other aluminum motored Olds,there's the small block car that the Kryta's have but I know of no other all aluminum Olds cars out there. The engine is a piece of history coupled with a very nice car with a lot of nice hard to find parts,enjoy it for what it is.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Heck, for 50 grand i'd still pick a car apart.

Imagine going to a dealership for a brand new furd mustang, you open the door, and see Mopar floor mats, i'd flip my **** lol
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
He didn't forget anything,maybe he wanted a stronger cap that don't leak. This is not a nut and bolt restoration,it's a creation that there's only one. If you guys can't appreciate what this car is,keep the negative comments to yourself. You ask why I'm taking an interest in the car,I know it very well and he's a friend of mine.I turned him onto the motor, I knew where it was. Duplicate the car exactly and get back with me on the costs. As far as other aluminum motored Olds,there's the small block car that the Kryta's have but I know of no other all aluminum Olds cars out there. The engine is a piece of history coupled with a very nice car with a lot of nice hard to find parts,enjoy it for what it is.
I think we DEFINITELY appreciate the awesome-ness of that motor, but we also appreciate attention to detail.

My car isint worth 1/20th of that one probably. But i still try to get OEM parts from the guys on this site to make it as factory as possible.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Its only worth that if he raises the left tail pipe to match the right one , other than that its a nice car.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:22 AM
delete

Its always hard to value a car like this. If I had the money to spend I think you have to value the car & the engine separately. Assign a value to a non-matching #'s '70 4-speed convertible that is very nice but not 100% correct and assignh a value to the engine by itself. If you peg the car @ $100K (?) what value you give the engine is anyone's guess.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Who knows what that car is actually worth, since it was cobbled together by the owner, rather than factory built. If really a valuable car, you'd think it would've been marketed at Barret Jackson. The alumimum engine probably has cast iron liners, but Mercedes somehow had pretty good luck with the NickilSil treatment in their engines. Agree on the fun for the buck thing, as paid $75K for a new C6 ZO6 Corvette, with aluminum 427 LS7 engine in it, and only 3100 lbs. Can vouch, that this thing is pretty fun.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Kjr442

This car is only worth what he can get out of it in todays market. Hell it could bring more!
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM

I think if someone was looking for their ultimate fantasy Oldsmobile this would be what many people would have in mind. I personally would like to see the twin turbos added but that's just me.....
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Come on Mike, why cant you see that the car is a cobbled together, non 100% exact pile of crap?? I mean, there has to be a bunch others just like it or better out there right?.

Last edited by TK-65; April 12th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Come on Mike, why cant you see that the car is a cobbled together, non 100% exact pile of crap?? I mean, there has to be a bunch others just like it or better out there right?.
Yeah,I know,it's a cobbled up POS. I won't justify a response for that statement either. This is the way it goes,everything is overpriced UNTIL they go to sell their everything,then the price goes up,right?
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM

That car is badass.I love it.I hope someone buys it.There's a nice balance between it being restored ,and other areas having that certain petina for character.
If you could have bought an aluminum block for $3500.00 that was a steal.I've never seen one less than $7,000.00.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:31 PM
car guy

I love the car but I just don't see 200K. Lets say the motor is worth 50K and then you have the car. Can you really value a NMN no paperwork car at another 150K
I think 125K for the package would be a lot closer to reality. It will be interesting to see what happens with it.
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM

i agree with Brian, that thing is badass!! placing a value on it would be tough... i like the color, that is the same color as the wheels on granny... i probly ought to paint them to match someday?
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM

I certainly wouldn't call that car a piece of crap, as my car, and many others here are cobbled together as well to the the owners liking. But if that car were a factory built proto-type, could make it's value go through the roof.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

If I were in a position of having that much disposable income I would hit the BIN button.

I like the car for what it is,who cares what others think it should be.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
I certainly wouldn't call that car a piece of crap, as my car, and many others here are cobbled together as well to the the owners liking. But if that car were a factory built proto-type, could make it's value go through the roof.

You missed the sarcasm.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM
"me somebody" site member

Side-stepping the price issue, the car looks exquisite...glad I clicked on this thread, as I might never have seen it otherwise.

I do take exception to the word cobbled, used by the first person with (seemingly) no sarcasm. It may be "put together", but sure doesn't look cobbled.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is a really nice car but I don't think it is a $200K car. Did anybody notice the seller only has 6 feedbacks. Hey, at least they are all positive.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You missed the sarcasm.
That's okay. He missed it in mine, too.

I think he doesn't have a sense of humor.

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Love it

I want this car! .... NOW!..well maybe in a few years
Agreed with others,badass, and if I had the coin I would buy it, and I do think it is worth close to the 200k mark
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
Automatic radiator top plate on a manual car......,I'm not bashing this car, it is very nice. There is a huge difference between polite constructive criticism and obnoxious haters. I do believe that if I had invested the time,money and emotion into a car equipped like this one that I would keep it to enjoy myself. Then again, how many times do you really think the owner of this aluminum engined car would take it off it's leash?
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:44 AM

If you knew or saw what else that owner has,and has owned,he doesn't need 6 feedbacks.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
1970 442

I've been meaning to ask this for some time now. Why do so many 70 442's have an angle where the grille meet the hood "tongue"? Look at the photo I attached of the $200K 442 on E-Bay, and I put an arrow on where I'm talking about. I see so many restored 442's with this problem. Is it an aftermarket hood?

On finely restored cars (like Lee Pearl's), and on all the original photos (and ads) I've seen, the grilles are parallel to the hood "tongue". They line up perfectly!
Attached Images
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
I've been meaning to ask this for some time now. Why do so many 70 442's have an angle where the grille meet the hood "tongue"? Look at the photo I attached of the $200K 442 on E-Bay, and I put an arrow on where I'm talking about. I see so many restored 442's with this problem. Is it an aftermarket hood?

On finely restored cars (like Lee Pearl's), and on all the original photos (and ads) I've seen, the grilles are parallel to the hood "tongue". They line up perfectly!

The hood has been slammed shut so many times that the core support is down in the middle. Thus the grilles are down in the middle.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Can't say if it's worth $200K or not, there are buyers for everything, and it's the market that sets the price, not the sellers. I will say it is a fantastic looking car and should bring a new owner lots of pleasure. The only problem with high dollar cars in my opinion, is the owners will in most cases not drive them because the investment goes down with every mile under the car, parts will wear out faster and there is the posibility of being in an accident. So I understand the concern.

However for me, I have to drive them, or what's the point of owning it? It's like marrying a Playmate, and sleeping on the couch. So for me, even if the wife would let me borrow against the house, I'd probably be too paranoid to drive it, which is why even if I had the $200K to spend on a car, I probably wouldn't buy it. Someone sure did a beautiful job on it, numbers matching or not. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Yes,66 3x2 explained it pretty good.The center area of the core support will sag over time.I rarely ever see a core support that is not.That is one thing I do before I recondition those.They need a training bra!
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
Can't say if it's worth $200K or not, there are buyers for everything, and it's the market that sets the price, not the sellers. I will say it is a fantastic looking car and should bring a new owner lots of pleasure. The only problem with high dollar cars in my opinion, is the owners will in most cases not drive them because the investment goes down with every mile under the car, parts will wear out faster and there is the posibility of being in an accident. So I understand the concern.

However for me, I have to drive them, or what's the point of owning it? It's like marrying a Playmate, and sleeping on the couch. So for me, even if the wife would let me borrow against the house, I'd probably be too paranoid to drive it, which is why even if I had the $200K to spend on a car, I probably wouldn't buy it. Someone sure did a beautiful job on it, numbers matching or not. It will be interesting to see what happens.
If you can afford to spend 200,000 on a car, odds are you have a bunch more sitting at home. Some drivers, some nice show cars and some that have never been driven. Its not like a guy spends 200,000 on a car and its the only one he has.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

I know exactly what its worth. It's worth what someone will stroke a check for. I think it's a nice car. Someone from the B-J crowd will just fall in love and have to have it!
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:32 PM

If you can afford to spend 200,000 on a car, odds are you have a bunch more sitting at home. Some drivers, some nice show cars and some that have never been driven. Its not like a guy spends 200,000 on a car and its the only one he has.
True, but chances are most won't be driving the one's over $200K like they'd drive the one's that cost $15K. I suppose if you have Bill Gates' money, then it really doesn't matter. Hell, take it to the grocery store. If it gets dinged, paint it again.

Quick Reply: Is this worth $200,000