General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

looking for info on Olds Nationals/Reno

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM

looking for info on Olds Nationals/Reno

I discovered today that the registration for the Oldsmobile Nationals has closed (apparently July 15th was cut off date). Are the Nationals open to the public to see the cars or do you have to join OCA and the NorCal chapter and pay $55 to have access to the event? I don't see particulars on their website that discusses how the general public can have access.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Man - I have not signed up yet either- was hoping to do that on site.
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM

http://www.norcalolds.com/public/NCO...ls2/index.html

"Registrations post marked after July 15, 2011 will be returned and will ONLY be able to participate as a spectator."

If you wish to attend the race in Fallon, spectator fee is $10. If you wish to race also, I will look into it with the Powers That Be and see what can be done. I'm pretty easy to find, with both my car and my cap having "Run to Rund" on them.
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Spectators do not need to pay anything. I went to the Nats when they were in Pennsylvania in 2009. It was at a lodge in the mountains. I parked in the lodge parking lot and wandered all through the show field and swap meet area without a problem.

Think about it. They only way they could make a charge to spectators work is to put a fence all the way around the show field and swap meet areas to keep you out unless you pay. No way they can do that.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pcard
Man - I have not signed up yet either- was hoping to do that on site.
You're out of luck for 2011.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Oldsdruid

I've never known a host chapter to refuse admission to spectators, but every host group does things differently.

In 1995 we purposely selected a high traffic high visibility location for the National Meet. I'd like to think it worked, because show participants said they'd never had so many people asking about their cars and Oldsmobiles in general.

It apparently worked for the mall next door too since most of their merchants reported increased sales during the four days we were there. Word got out thru the Greensboro newspapers and TV/radio stations that there were nearly 500 Oldsmobiles from all over the US and Canada having a big time in Greensboro, and we had heavy and steady spectator traffic Friday and Saturday especially.

But if you go, even as a spectator, find the show workers and thank them. It's a lot of work putting on one of these shows and they will appreciate a kind word, because they mostly hear a lot of bitching and complaining.
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Spectators do not need to pay anything. I went to the Nats when they were in Pennsylvania in 2009. It was at a lodge in the mountains. I parked in the lodge parking lot and wandered all through the show field and swap meet area without a problem.

Think about it. They only way they could make a charge to spectators work is to put a fence all the way around the show field and swap meet areas to keep you out unless you pay. No way they can do that.
I'm pretty sure the mentioned race track has an entry gate. I've been to that hotel several times for Hot August Nights events over the last 25 years and a few Olds nationals and I don't see how they can charge for lookee loos. We were coming and going off the field in 2006 so I see the spectator charge for the show being bs. The track, yes. The show field, not so. I could be wrong.
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
I'm pretty sure the mentioned race track has an entry gate.
That's very common and expected for race tracks. Many car shows are held in hotel or shopping mall parking lots which would be very impractical to try to cordon off portions or all of.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Race track may have a spectator charge. It is too late to show your car, but you will be able to walk through the show field and look at the cars, walk through the swap meet and buy anything you would like, all for no entry fee. You may not take any of the offered tours.

If you want to take your car to the 2012 OCA Nationals in Iowa, I would suggest checking the OCA's website in January of '12 as that is when the registration form for the meet will be released. I would also suggest joining the OCA, as you will then receive the Journey With Olds magazine that will have the registration form in it each month starting in January so that you don't forget. If you go to Reno, the Quad States chapters will have an information booth there for the 2012 Nationals including information on host hotel.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM

I definately want to check out the cars! And I will (soon) join OCA. The Nationals have only been on the West Coast 3 times since 1985, so I don't want to miss it.

Any owners of 442s going?
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I own a '66 442 but it's in pieces now. We will be bringing up my buddies '65 425 Cutlass.
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM

As in my post above, the $10 spectator charge is for the race track, ONLY. AFAIK, there is no charge to go on the show field or swap meet.

There should be a good number of 4-4-2s in the show, and at the strip.
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM

I will be taking my 70 W30 442. I'm also have a swap meet spot. I'm selling every thing I can get on my trailer and in my PU. I inventoryed all my parts, I have over 350 parts loaded allready. Hope it is worth the effort.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Great ! Hope to see many Oldsmobiles, all makes. I will be there to learn, to see others dream cars, appreciate Oldsmobile history and , maybe, meet new friends.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Oldsdruid

You will accomplish all of the above!

And you'll see cars we on the East Coast have never seen. I had forgot there have been only three OCA Nats in the Western US.