General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Gas tank choices for a 66 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:43 PM

Gas tank choices for a 66 Cutlass

I'm in the market for a gas tank for my 66 Cutlass. Other than Spectra, what are my choices? Anyone have any experience with Spectra?
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:39 PM

The only brand to buy IS Spectra....good Canadian made tanks made of the same type steel as the originals. They are cheap enough at places like RockAuto.com (great shipping rates from them also). Why roll the dice on some overseas made tank for a few bucks less.

I've installed a number of Spectra tanks and know a lot of others that use the same tanks....no complaints. Sure, I've heard of the wrong tank getting shipped and/or shipping damage before and when the person got it from RockAuto they never had any problems getting another tank sent. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying problems are a common thing with these but when they occasionally happen, it's been resolved very well.

The VAST majority of restored GM A-body cars (as well as Mopars, etc) you see out there will have a Spectra Tank in them if the tank has been replaced. I think the numbers speak for themselves. I've seen postings on some of the Abody sites where someone bought a cheaper tank off ebay, etc from one of the repro vendors....not happy....painted regular steel and things like that.

Check out and compare RockAuto's prices and make sure to include shipping costs when you are comparing prices. Some places really HAMMER YOU on the shipping for gas tanks.

Last edited by 70Post; June 3rd, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:46 PM

Thanks Patton.
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ben

I can't remember exactly what the issue was that i had when trying to get a tank, but the 66 cutlass is a weird one for some reason.

Something about the vent nipple. I think mine was on the front side of the tank, and all the repops were on the rear (same as 67 cutlass's)

I'm sure the other style would have worked, but was irritated i couldn't find exactly the same as what i have.

Luckily, my problem turned out to be something else other than the gas tank, so i didn't have to replace it.

I will say that i would also only look at the spectra/quanta/candadian made tanks. I got one for my 68 elky when it sprung a leak and the replacement was excellent quality and still looked great unpainted 3 years later when i sold the car.
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:34 AM

you are exactly correct---the vent is on the back. I actually had one and decided to powder coat it---one of the 2 vents on the back has a tube connected to it that is soldered to the top (interior) of the tank and the solder was pretty much destroyed (and so was the tank) in the powder coating process. That's why I started this thread, wondering if I have other choices. Obviously I won't be powder coating the next tank!!

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I can't remember exactly what the issue was that i had when trying to get a tank, but the 66 cutlass is a weird one for some reason.

Something about the vent nipple. I think mine was on the front side of the tank, and all the repops were on the rear (same as 67 cutlass's)

I'm sure the other style would have worked, but was irritated i couldn't find exactly the same as what i have.

Luckily, my problem turned out to be something else other than the gas tank, so i didn't have to replace it.

I will say that i would also only look at the spectra/quanta/candadian made tanks. I got one for my 68 elky when it sprung a leak and the replacement was excellent quality and still looked great unpainted 3 years later when i sold the car.