General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Epoxy Primer and lacqure Application

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Epoxy Primer and lacqure Application

Need some help, share experience in with epoxy primer and lacquer top coat, thanks
1) If I apply Epoxy primer to a fender, bare metal, can I then apply lacquer top coat over the epoxy premier?.
2) If I apply epoxy primer, then primer assumed to lacquer primer to work the panel, can I apply it and then a lacquer top coat?
3) Can Epoxy primer be applied over well cured lacquer.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Del70
Need some help, share experience in with epoxy primer and lacquer top coat, thanks
1) If I apply Epoxy primer to a fender, bare metal, can I then apply lacquer top coat over the epoxy premier?.
2) If I apply epoxy primer, then primer assumed to lacquer primer to work the panel, can I apply it and then a lacquer top coat?

Where you gettin' all this lacquer product?? Top quality paint jobs done to-day are done in Water Borne products and Clear Coats.

If you are applying Epoxy Primers don't even think about useing Lacquer primers over top!!! The one primer flexes and the other doesn't.....
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Boat?

Hi I work as a boat mechanic and we use epoxy primer and topcoat on boats but I never heard someone who has used these things on a car I agree with the previous post.
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Del70
Here is a PPG Refinish link for their Deltron products and this shows their DP Epoxy primers. Click on any of the TDS tabs next to any of the DP items and you will get the technical data sheet. Their information shows that DP Expoxy primer/sealer can be applied over lacquer finishes with a few precautions. It also shows that lacquer can be applied over the DP epoxy as a top coat.

With this being said, I too would question the desire to do so. Lacquer paints are not widely available and this is not the manner in which quality refinish work is done today. I believe there are some companies who offer Nitrocellulose Lacquer but these finishes don't hold up well and require a lot of maintenance. So unless there is an absolute requirement to use lacquer, I would use a more modern paint system. I think that rattle can paint is still available in lacquer so I would hope you aren't trying to refinish a car with rattle cans?

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...c-04551702a5df
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM

To clarify, when you go to the link I showed, click on the primers and surfacers tab to get to the DP products.
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM

I plan on using acrylic lacquer on my 67 442. It is easy to spray and dries very quick. This is great if you must spray outside.... it dries before the bugs can stick to it. It also gives era look. It is forgiving. Most quality high gloss jobs these days do not reflect the finish the car had when it rolled off the assembly line. The drawback is the cost...I believe for PPG lacquer it is 500 dollars a gallon.
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I used PPG DPLF gray primer (epoxy) and the PG guidance is to top coat within a week. I covered some 40 year old lacquer (inside trunk, etc.) with the primer. So the answers are yes, yes, and yes. And, I wanted to use acrylic lacquer with the original luster, not a plastic looking top coat.
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Today i learned something