General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The start finally ....Garashmahal

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
car guy

The start finally ....Garashmahal

There's been a lot of road blocks and set backs but its finally happening. My new shop broke ground today.

shop109.jpg?t=1299118144

shop110.jpg?t=1299118144

shop112.jpg?t=1299118144
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM

congratulations!!!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM

Sweet.

Size?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Sweet.

Size?
Thanks 42 x 50 with 20 x 20 carport and 20 x 28 uncovered parking
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM

Congrats. Are you gonna keep us in the loop with pictures and such like you did with the Cutlass? I sure hope so....I'm living through you. :-)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Impin'
Congrats. Are you gonna keep us in the loop with pictures and such like you did with the Cutlass? I sure hope so....I'm living through you. :-)
I will do my best. Its going up while I am at work.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:31 AM

Awesome news! Congratulations Richard!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:35 AM

Congratulations, Richard! Keep us posted on the continuing status of the new shop. You make a lot of us envious, of course. I'm sure, when it's finished, if you have a mind to, you might find a few Members of the Club desirous of your working on their Oldsmobile's, with the type of work you performed on the '66! Once again, congratulations, and full speed ahead!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM

I'm green with envy
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM

congrats!!

Nice Richard!!

best of luck with it and looking forward to progress pics...
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM

Congratulations Richard.

Looking forward to the updates.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I have garage envy. I wish mine was half that size.
Larry
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Loose Radical

Originally Posted by gearheads78
My new shop broke ground today.
Well that was literal! Good luck. When do you hope to be open for service?
4 bays no waiting (or 3 and a paint booth)!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM

Thumbs up

AWESOME!! CONGRATS!! (OR; as Charlie Sheen would say -- "WINNING!" lol!) Seriously, best wishes on your project and HOPE you're USING it real soon!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM

Great news Richard, Green with envoy here as well. How long do you think it will take you to fill it up?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM

Whoa Buddy... What does it mean when you need a forklift just to hold up your jackhammer!?

lol.

Are you building it your self or hired it out?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Whoa Buddy... What does it mean when you need a forklift just to hold up your jackhammer!?
Bobcat with a hoe-ram (or ram-hoe as some people call it)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Congratulations, Richard! Keep us posted on the continuing status of the new shop. You make a lot of us envious, of course. I'm sure, when it's finished, if you have a mind to, you might find a few Members of the Club desirous of your working on their Oldsmobile's, with the type of work you performed on the '66! Once again, congratulations, and full speed ahead!
Aron I plan on doing a lot of side work along with my own projects. I would almost break away and buy ,sell, and repair full time but health insurance is so expensive that I really have to be rolling to be able to pay it and the rest of the bills every month. For now its just going to have to be a part time deal.

Originally Posted by 71supreme
Awesome news! Congratulations Richard!
Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'm green with envy
Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Nice Richard!!

best of luck with it and looking forward to progress pics...
Originally Posted by car_designer
Congratulations Richard.

Looking forward to the updates.
Thank you all. I am getting excited after being without a building or access to 80% of my tools all winter. Its been driving me crazy.

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I wish mine was half that size.
Larry
We are talking building right?

Originally Posted by slowolds
Well that was literal! Good luck. When do you hope to be open for service?
4 bays no waiting (or 3 and a paint booth)!
No booth too much EPA bullshit to deal with

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
AWESOME!! CONGRATS!! (OR; as Charlie Sheen would say -- "WINNING!" lol!) Seriously, best wishes on your project and HOPE you're USING it real soon!
but its not Bi-winning unless two **** stars live in it.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Great news Richard, Green with envoy here as well. How long do you think it will take you to fill it up?
too soon

Originally Posted by Coltonis

lol.

Are you building it your self or hired it out?
That hammer is a bad bitch. 2-3 hits and and it busts right through 4" concrete. I hired it out. They have done in two days what it would take me a month worth of weekends to do. I will help and electrician friend wire it and I will run the plumbing for air lines.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice Richard, congrats on the progress. After you build it, then you can have fun filling it!
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:52 AM

The floor looks a little rough, and you might consider some more ambient lighting...
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Congrats Richard, You know theres nothing like a man cave to make a car guy feel complete.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:45 PM
car guy

My wife went outside and took a few mid-day pictures. They are a lot farther along but it was too dark to take pictures when I got home.

shop113.jpg?t=1299296296

shop114.jpg?t=1299296296

shop116.jpg?t=1299296296
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Congratulations. I had a 30 X 30 built a few years ago and only had one (toy) car at the time. 4 years later, it's full.........

Some friendly advice, do NOT let them talk you into doing a monolithic pour of the foundation and floor. That's when they form and pour the foundation and floor at the same time. It was sold to me as being "stronger" because it was all one piece. BS!!! The weight of the walls caused the footer to settle more than the 4-5 inch thick floor causing the floor to crack, literally, all the way around the perimeter of the garage about 5 feet in from the walls.
I also let them talk me into using fibermesh in the concrete as opposed to wire fencing. So my driveway is cracked everywhere too.
Oh, and don't believe them if they say they can pour a concrete floor with a drain in it that will actually drain toward the drain. Unless it's pitched like crazy, you're going to have puddles that you will have to deal with every time you wash a car or clean the floor. Floating floor with a reasonable pitch toward the doors is the way to go there.

So, floating garage floor and old school wire in the concrete for me in the future.

Leave yourself an empty conduit from the house incase you want to run something else out there in the future. PVC is cheap and you've already got it dug up.
It's funny that you named it that, mine's not as big but it was big to me so it got dubbed the "Taj Ma Garage".

Good luck,
Randy

Last edited by W70442; March 5th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Wow that thing is going to be big. Congrats. They have really had good weather to work this week.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by W70442
Leave yourself an empty conduit from the house incase you want to run something else out there in the future. PVC is cheap and you've already got it dug up.
X2 Go a head and leave some string in it to pull what ya want later.
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Looks like it will be great! I made a mistake when I built my 30x40 3 stall and did a 9 1/2 ft ceiling thinking it would be easier to heat, but not high enough for a decent lift. No matter how big you built it, it is amazing how fast they fill up. A neighbor of mine built his 40x60, put in a bathroom with a shower, an office area, big screen etc. His wife hasn't seen him for months LOL.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by W70442
I also let them talk me into using fibermesh in the concrete as opposed to wire fencing. So my driveway is cracked everywhere too.
Randy
I used the fiber-glass in my 30X40 barn 5 years ago and have not had any cracks except where I did cuts about 3/8ths" deep. No wire mesh.
A friend did his at the same time and used wire, he has a lot cracks. Maybe use both? The fiber is not expensive. I think the main thing is to have your sand packed very hard. I poured the foundation & added the sand one year and poured the floor the next. So it sat for almost a year compacting itself. MHO
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
My wife went outside and took a few mid-day pictures. They are a lot farther along but it was too dark to take pictures when I got home.

Man your building A "man cave" and i am stuck workin in the basement...LOL.. Man I can not wait to retire and move from this house love the house but a single car garage is weenieville!!

man I am getting excited and it isn't even my garage!!!

I think we are all like goldfish here, all excited someone makes it outta the bowl....
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Nice
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Looks good so far.

The control cuts should be a 1/4 of the thickness of the concrete, 3/8th of an inch don't do it unless the slab was an inch and a half thick.
I've never used fiberglass but I'm old school, if the old technique has worked for over a thousand years why mess with it now?
If you pitch the floor to the doors and don't have trench drains inside in front of them you're asking for trouble in a number of different ways.
You can rebar the trench and tie the floor wire mesh to that to prevent cracking but most guys just roll the wire into the trench.

If you heat the building and don't have footers down to the frost line (36-42 inches around here), and have a frost wall under the door/s, in the winter the floor will heave and crack all around the edges, wall weight can do it too on a slab with no footers, especially in the winter with a heavy snow load.
I don't know code in Texas but I imagine that deep frost and snow wouldn't be a problem there.

When I did my last garage I used a six sack mix then sealed it as it was drying, hard as a rock and shined like a waxed floor, Home Depot style.
It was summer and really hot so I had a couple of sprinklers going to keep it cool so it wouldn't dry too fast and crack.
The garage I built at my last house was a house with garage doors and no
inside walls, all to human dwelling code so I could turn it into one in case the old lady threw me out becuse of all the cash it was costing to build.
It sat on a steep grade dropping off in back, I should have used pre-cast for the floors and put in a basement and garage under it too.

Last edited by Bluevista; March 5th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Looks good so far.
The control cuts should be a 1/4 of the thickness of the concrete, 3/8th of an inch don't do it unless the slab was an inch and a half thick.
What can I say, except it worked for me. The floor is 4"+ and the control cuts did their job, not a single crack anywhere else. I did a 9x20 pad last summer using the same method and so far so good, no cracks.
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey guys, all good advice I am sure. But remember this is Richard we are talking about. Somehow I imagine he planned this garage about as well as he planned his Cutlass.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Hey guys, all good advice I am sure. But remember this is Richard we are talking about. Somehow I imagine he planned this garage about as well as he planned his Cutlass.
Yes and no. I planned it out to the best of my knowledge and did a lot of research but when it comes down to doing everything every internet computer chair builder on all the building forums says you need to do I would blow all my money on just concrete. In the end I talked with several contractors and ended up with this guy. He was recommended by a local racer and is a racer himself with a 7 sec street legal Nova. We know mutual people local and run in the same circles. I am trusting him to get the job done as best as he can and still meet my limited funds.
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
car guy

I got home tonight and it was still daylight so I shot a few of where they stopped Friday. As you can see we left the old slab from the other building. The slab will be 6" above that and they added trenches directly around the old slab and trenches for the footers for the new building.

shop117.jpg?t=1299370207

shop118.jpg?t=1299370207

shop119.jpg?t=1299370207

shop120.jpg?t=1299370207
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM

lookin good Richard. Thing will go fast from here.
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM
car guy

Its was a long day today for the crew.I left for work as they were pulling up at 6:30 AM. Tonight when I got home at 7:30 they were still at it. I can't wait to see it in the light.

shop142.jpg?t=1299553660

shop141.jpg?t=1299553660

shop140.jpg?t=1299553660

shop139.jpg?t=1299553660
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Richard, that's lookin' great! Before you start fixin' Oldsmobile's, you need to have a barn dance and hoe down to celebrate the build!!! LOL! Those guys working fast. Really going to be a nice facility, and of course, you make all of us jealous...................
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:33 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Hey, Make sure they leave access to your plumbing, so you dont have to tear out your cabinets. lol
Gary
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Schne442
Hey, Make sure they leave access to your plumbing, so you dont have to tear out your cabinets. lol
Gary
Not Funny!
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Looks good so far! So much for having to take care of a yard...
When I move in 10 years, I have plans for my own shop - can't wait!!

Quick Reply: The start finally ....Garashmahal