General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The start finally ....Garashmahal

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM

So how's the progress? Looks great so far!
It dwarfs the old building for sure...
If you want some volunteered help with the electrical, let me know. I had too much fun with wiring when I wired my little "shop" building in the back yard (that is now just full of junk)...
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:59 AM
car guy

Progrees has been slow. I the problem with asking anyone for help is I just never know when I can get out there. The wife is going to pop out the twins in about 40 days so its getting hard for her to get around. If I have any energy after being gone from the house for 13 hours it has been going toward house work and trying to help her keep up.

I did finish one 1/2 of the ceiling lights and am 75% done with the other side. ever with only 8 of the 16 lights on its bright in there. I will have daylight when I get the other 8 clicked on.

I still am having a big problem with my contrator. The way his sub installed the gutters I have water leaking in the top of the walls in a hard blowing rain like we have been having.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:10 AM
Getting There

Richard are the gutters hanging to low?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Ranzan
Richard are the gutters hanging to low?
No they are mounted to the top of the wall side with no flashing. There is about 3/4" -1 gap at the back. When the wind is blowing in a hard rain it blows past the gutter to the top of my walls and runs down inside. I have hard foam sprayed so it olny a trickle down the wall and after a while there is a puddle in the floor.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM

I hope the foam is not holding water, could be a rust issue. Is the sub coming back out to fix the problem?

Last edited by dc2x4drvr; June 2nd, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I hope the foam is holding water, could be a rust issue. Is the sub coming back out to fix the problem?
For 2 months they have been attempting to come out and fix it. After multiple no shows 2 weekends ago my wife said they came out and were working on it. I got home that night and got up on a ladder only to see nothing different. It still leaks and have been not able to get ahold of anyone since.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM

Unbelievable! After looking at the pictures. There should have been a flat surface such as a facia or frieze below the roof panels to attach gutters to. Also there is no overhang (NONE) on the lower eaves and rakes. (cost cutting?) The only thing I can see, is to run a flashing under the existing roof panels bent down into the gutters. Either way, the eaves are not correct for gutters or for that matter blowing rain. My minimum eave is 12" overhang. I can only see problems with that set up. Not good. Good luck with the builder who did not have enough foresight at addressing these areas ahead of time. Anyways, still Unbelievable! I won't rant into detail further.
Yes I am a Contractor.

Congrats upcoming on the twins
Old June 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Resident Eskie

I got garage envy.
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM

A home builder I talked to in Oregon last month told me about some of his challenges in blowing rain. He had actually seen it being blown upwards underneath sloped eaves and leaking into walls. Could be your situation, too. Water running off the top roof panel is being forced back up along its underside due to its gental slope. If the roof is corrougated, flashing would not help. Maybe attach wind deflectors to the gutters???

I think for the next 5 months, rain will be no longer be a worry here in TX....
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
car guy

I got bent over with no lube. I just have to make the best of it. I finished the ceiling lights tonight but I am missing 2 bulbs still. The picture does not do the light justice. Its very bright and these are night time shots.

I
Originally Posted by ziff396
Unbelievable! After looking at the pictures. There should have been a flat surface such as a facia or frieze below the roof panels to attach gutters to. Also there is no overhang (NONE) on the lower eaves and rakes. (cost cutting?) The only thing I can see, is to run a flashing under the existing roof panels bent down into the gutters. Either way, the eaves are not correct for gutters or for that matter blowing rain. My minimum eave is 12" overhang. I can only see problems with that set up. Not good. Good luck with the builder who did not have enough foresight at addressing these areas ahead of time. Anyways, still Unbelievable! I won't rant into detail further.
Yes I am a Contractor.

Congrats upcoming on the twins
coronet111.jpg?t=1307240186

coronet112.jpg?t=1307240186
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
A home builder I talked to in Oregon last month told me about some of his challenges in blowing rain. He had actually seen it being blown upwards underneath sloped eaves and leaking into walls. Could be your situation, too. Water running off the top roof panel is being forced back up along its underside due to its gental slope. If the roof is corrougated, flashing would not help. Maybe attach wind deflectors to the gutters???

I think for the next 5 months, rain will be no longer be a worry here in TX....
The sidewall cap should run up under the roof panels with no overhang. On top of the sidewall cap (assuming there is one) should be a foam or rubber seal shaped to the roof panel (weather it be corregated or standing rib) that prevents wind driven rain and bee,s etc. from getting in there. The roof panel is then screwed down over the seal sandwiching it between the two. The gutter should then be tucked up under the sidewall cap. An afterthought flashing would be installed the same way.
There are other ways of bending the bottom edge of the roof panel so it hooks a pre installed starter on the eave edge. However, that is more labor intensive.
JMO