General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steering wheel restore

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Steering wheel restore

Any one ever restore their 50's era steering wheel? Mine was restored about 10 years ago but is now cracking at the old repairs. Know of any good fillers that will hold up in cracks? I have touch up paint for rock chip repairs but it is air dry non hardner type product that may be to soft for a steering wheel. Is there a paint product that can be bought in small amounts that will work on a steering wheel?
Thanks ..Tedd
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM

I'm a retired tile setter,stone mason. I have had good luck using a two part stone patch material. You can mix color with it to match, like I did a wood grain with cracks, and matched pertty good. You can sand the material, and work with it. After I was done with the wood grain one, I sprayed it with a clear. I also paint one black, and sprayed it with clear. Also Eastwood sell a stearing wheel repair kit.
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Any one ever restore their 50's era steering wheel? Mine was restored about 10 years ago but is now cracking at the old repairs. Know of any good fillers that will hold up in cracks? I have touch up paint for rock chip repairs but it is air dry non hardner type product that may be to soft for a steering wheel. Is there a paint product that can be bought in small amounts that will work on a steering wheel?
Thanks ..Tedd
How bad is it cracking? After 10 years most wheels do crack, even the restored ones unless they're stored in a perfectly controlled environment. 442Harv is right about Eastwoods, question is whether you feel up to tackling it on your own, or whether it will be better handled by a wheel restorer. If the damage is minor, I doubt a retorer will gouge you for a complete overhaul. Most of them will give a free quote and let you decide if you want to do the repair.
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:11 PM

The cracks are about as wide as a razor blade thickness. Wide enough that paint alone will not fill them up. I was thinking of using J-B weld and sanding before it gets to hard,then prime and finish to color. I think I could manage the job if I don't have to buy a quart of finish and hardener. This alone might amount to a good part toward having someone else do the job. Like a lot of jobs I get satisfaction out of doing it myself... Thanks Tedd
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
The cracks are about as wide as a razor blade thickness. Wide enough that paint alone will not fill them up. I was thinking of using J-B weld and sanding before it gets to hard,then prime and finish to color. I think I could manage the job if I don't have to buy a quart of finish and hardener. This alone might amount to a good part toward having someone else do the job. Like a lot of jobs I get satisfaction out of doing it myself... Thanks Tedd
Totally understand your comment. Good luck on the wheel. Be sure to post before and after pics showing how it turned out. I'd bet there are lots of others who would like to do the same.

Come to think of it, I have a deluxe wheel (black with pearl inlay) that I wouldn't mind taking a shot at restoring. I'll wait to hear back on how yours went. Replacing the pearl inlay is something I don't know how to do right now.
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:20 AM

I've heard you can use 2 part epoxy to fill cracks in a steering wheel as well. FWIW, if I were to do it myself I would spend the money and get one of the Eastwoods repair kits.

http://www.eastwood.com/steering-whe...-o-puller.html