General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Factory Correct Heater Hoses - 70 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I would like to replace the heater hoses on my 70 Cutlass, with factory correct hoses. Of the parts suppliers I have looked at some describe their product as having the correct ribbed hose, but no pictures. I have seen some low mile cars and pictures of some that have smooth hoses, but there are very slight ribs running perpendicular to the hose wall, which gives then a slight bumpy ribbed appearance. I have also seen some cars (personally looked at 50K Cutlass that I think had a few of its factory hoses) that had hoses with a 1/4 wide band made up of several ~1/6" height small raised ribs that ran the length of the hose. What should a factory correct heater hose look like?..
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM

I have no idea what a factory heater hose looks like but Fusicks might carry what you need.

http://www.fusick.com/
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Lance

I get my factory type ribbed hoses from Jeff Ashten at http://www.broachbuster.com/

I wish he would start hand stamping radiator hoses for Oldsmobiles.
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:39 AM

thanks Rocket Vapor - it is hard to tell from the pic on the link - are ribs cut on the hoses you bought , cut into the hose or are they raised molded into the hose. The picture looks like they are cut into the hose. thanks..
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by Del70
thanks Rocket Vapor - it is hard to tell from the pic on the link - are ribs cut on the hoses you bought , cut into the hose or are they raised molded into the hose. The picture looks like they are cut into the hose. thanks..
They are grooves molded into the skin of the heater hoses as per original.

I have been told that the number of the ribs and the spacing of the ribs on the heater hoses are to identify them, some sort of classification.

I believe his heater hoses are made by Gates and his radiator hoses are made by GoodYear, quality stuff for sure.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM

More on the Heater hose subject..I found a picture I took of a ribbed hose on that low miles Cutlass. Picture shows a ribbed heater hose with 1572 EDMP stapped in white on it. I have seen this EDPM stamping on other heater hoses before., orrigianl cars... Is this a factory hose/marking?...