General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Prettiest One's Build Sheet!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Cutlass Lover

Talking The Prettiest One's Build Sheet!!!!!!

I brought her home last night. Work done looks good - one thing I'm not happy with, so I have to go back over Thursday night. Anyhow.... I was looking in the trunk at the trunk divider they put in for me - looks nice and neat.... happened to see this piece of paper sticking out kind of behind the hinge up in the back, so I crawled in the trunk to look, and it's her build sheet!!! I came in and got my camera!

It looks to be in good shape, from what little I can see of it, has one chunk missing, but it's stuck up in there pretty tight. Looks like it's under the package tray. I'm sooooo excited!!!! Any ideas how to get it out of there besides taking out the package tray?? I tried prying a little bit, but don't want to end up cracking the package tray on the inside. There's not any bolts in the trunk that I can take out, that I could see. I was laying down in there, working upside down, so it wasn't easy trying to work. I also discovered a lot of rust spots up there, so there's my next project.

buildsheet002.jpg

I spent all day in the garage giving her a nice sponge bath, and detailing. Cleaned the inside. Put in my newly painted cup holder... matches nicely! They had nerve enough to leave dust on my engine - from the wet sanding, I imagine. White powdery stuff. So I have it mostly clean. Will work on it more tomorrow and then detail the hoses and such... again. The doors don't like to close, and I have a little gap on each side where the door glass hits up against that new door weatherstrip I had them put on. I suppose eventually it will wear down some, if it doesn't break the glass first. That new weatherstrip is much thicker than the old crumbly stuff was. It looks much nicer!

I did talk to Kelly, the previous owner, on Friday. He didn't paint her - said she was this color when he bought her. So that was no help.

I am tired! But it sure is nice to have her home!!!
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Olds fanatic

Congrats on finding the build sheet for your car. I had a '71 Cutlass Supreme some years ago and I found the build sheet just like yours...I was cleaning out the trunk and there it was showing just a corner of itself through one of the factory speaker holes. Unfortunately, I don't see any way for you to get this out other than to remove the package tray. This is what I did. It took a little time and some patience. When I finally removed the package tray, the build sheet was almost completely in tact. It did have just a little corner that had been hit with some of the glue that was used to hold down the package tray, so I did have to sacrifice just that corner. But I was real happy with how nice the rest of it was. Any tugging on it from inside the trunk will likely tear it. So I would suggest a little time and patience to get it out...it's nice to know it's there and it ain't going nowhere now, right. Good luck.
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Registered

That's really cool Sandy.
California built, same plant as my GTO.
I've never seen asterisks by the numbers, never seen those codes after them for '72 either, whatever they are?

Sanding dust, wet sanding? My spidey senses are tingling, starting to feel competition.
The insurance on my car is all submitted Friday but never got a confirmation so I can't drive it yet, could but just be asking for it, it's killin' me.
I was drivin it up and down the driveway and went to put down the rear window and only one side went down. I spent most the day tearing apart my tailgate and fixing a couple of snapped off brackets that attach to the lower sash channel.
I'm just lucky I'm so awesome, no regular ordinary generic street human could of fixed it.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:32 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Nice find!

My 71 was built in Cali also.Does this make our cars family?
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:39 AM
same but different

Thats great you found your build sheet. I remember how excited I was when I found mine. Hope you can figure out how to get it out without too much hassle. I found my sheet behind the A-piller trim on the drivers side.

I think that dealer is still selling cars ...or was until recently. Well, certainly not Oldsmobiles though I bet Oldsguy knows for sure.

Thats a neat detail to have with your car. Enjoy.
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yep.... I think they're related!! I'm just so excited and I really want to get it out of there! I don't think the package tray is coming out though... I did want to get a new one, but reading that one thread on here over the winter made me change my mind, lol!! Sounded like a real PITA!
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Sounds like you're happy to have your baby home Sandy. Now you have to get her ready for the first show of the season. Good luck
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM

cool! found me as well under the back seat.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:40 PM

I had some minor paint maintainance done this past spring, while it was in the shop I had them replace the rubber fuel line at the tank, they found the build sheet between the tank and the trunk. it's about 75% intact.
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yep.... I think they're related!! I'm just so excited and I really want to get it out of there! I don't think the package tray is coming out though... I did want to get a new one, but reading that one thread on here over the winter made me change my mind, lol!! Sounded like a real PITA!
Way to go Sandy. I am replacing my package tray and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that there's something there. But since it's a Lansing car, my hopes aren't all that high. Most Lansing cars I've noted will have a broadcast card or two, but generally no build sheet. I noticed yours is a Fremont produced car and was delivered to a Missouri dealer! Do you know if the dealership is still around? Would be interesting if they still had records on your car.

Also, if I may suggest - when you get that build sheet out, scan it and send a copy to TK65. It will be the best documentation he can get for other cars when he does the window stickers.
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

The dealership is still there, but it's not Ketchum anymore. I had Mr. Oldsguy help me look in to it several months back, since he lives there. It's a Cadillac dealership now. He gave me some info, but I haven't taken it any further. Now that I have this picture, I think I'll contact them and see if they have any records around. That would be soooooo cool!

Let me know how the package tray job goes! I still don't know if those other guys got theirs installed.... Lord I want that sheet outa there!!
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:08 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats on finding it Sandy! Like Allan, I have a Lansing built car so I am not too optimistic either about finding it. But I will go out in the garage tomorrow and look in the same place you found yours.... you never know!
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks Darrell! I'm so excited, but I just don't know how to get it out!!! I want it so bad! I was looking at it tonight when I put my newly painted jack and the spare tire back in the trunk, and it's just hanging there teasing me, LOL!

I spent the whole weekend in the garage cleaning and detailing her - came out for the cook out yesterday for a few hours, went back in until after 10, up and out there before 7 this morning, then headed to the cemetery to plant flowers - home and back out putting the trunk back together until 9 tonight. Ready for our 1st cruise in in Solon tomorrow night, providing the rain quits and it dries up. She is happy!

They cancelled the cruise at the Riverfront this afternoon cuz of the storms that have been on and off since noonish. We've had awful downpours and thunderstorms!! A lot of flooding out towards Bluevista's way.... hope he didn't get flooded!
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Thanks Darrell! I'm so excited, but I just don't know how to get it out!!! I want it so bad! I was looking at it tonight when I put my newly painted jack and the spare tire back in the trunk, and it's just hanging there teasing me, LOL! ..........!
Sandy, the only way you're going to get that out without tearing it is by taking out the rear seat and taking pressure off the package tray where the build sheet is. It's probably "stuck down" over time. But if you lift up just a little on the front edge of the package tray and slide a thin object (like a kitchen sharpening steel) under, you should be able to wiggle the sheet out without tearing it. X your fingers and know when to stop. Get Allan H to come over and help you with it. If he doesn't I'll send more flying monkeys after him than redgoat can shoot through the vista roof on his cruiser.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be all over that back seat and parcel shelf like lipstick on Tammy Fae Baker!!! When you do get it out, I would suggest you consider laminating it to prevent further degrading of the paper. It's actually oxygen that helps break it down over time. The part of the build sheet that's under the shelf will probably be just like it came out the printer at the factor. (I hope) I would love to see what it looks like when you get it out. Promise to post it??
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Cutlass Lover

You know I will!!!
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM

Sandy how about a sponge n water with a bit of detergent--just like u remove wallpaper --easy does it --just wet it n keep it that way for 10 mins --it might ease off .razor blade for the bits that remain .
just a thought
mike
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

I saw The Prettiest one at the cruise tonight. She really is looking very good BTW, too good, competition is getting tough.
I overheard some nice remarks when I was spying, "Know thy enemy" as they say.

I attempted to grab that sheet and rip it out of there Allan R. but Sandy wouldn't go for it...really. I have to know what those codes with the asterisks are for and that second one down from the top? I was going to use the tablecloth/fine china voila! pull to ****** it out of there, they do have paper tablecloths at The Roadhouse steak place like that build sheet. After she signed her name upside-down the waitress gave me crayons and let me draw pictures on it when I was there.
I will go wear even flying monkeys fear to tread or fly.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....I will go wear even flying monkeys fear to tread or fly.

Then ya better be going in my trunk and getting that sheet out of there for me! Hell hath no fury like a woman who can't get her Olds' build sheet out!!!!!!! If any of you know what those codes are that he's so curious about, DON'T TELL HIM!!!!!!

Last edited by cutlassgal; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Redgoat's fault
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well.... I pulled her out of the garage today so I could open her doors wide, and we took out the back seat and the trunk divider, in hopes of getting to the build sheet, but still no luck. I really didn't want to mess with the package tray, it has vinyl all the way across that is glued down pretty good behind the seat back. Larry was in the trunk, and I was trying to reach through the speaker holes or whatever they are behind the seat, but still couldn't get to it. That big piece that was showing in the pic I posted, fell off. The wind caught it, and it is so brittle it just broke right off.

I think they have some kind of glue on it up under there. It's in really tight. Now theres just little edges of paper you can kind of see around the hole it's in. I should have taken some pics, but I didn't... trying to get done before it decided to rain. The good news is, her floor is beautiful! Dirty and dusty, but not rusty at all! I was kind of afraid to see what it may look like under the seat. I was happy!!

Then she wanted to go to the cruise in at Chili's, so we went to Macedonia, and there were no cars! I sat there for 10 minutes or so, then went inside and asked if it was cancelled or something, and the lady said no, but she figured people didn't want to chance it with the weather. The wind was blowing pretty good, but the sun was out. There were a lot of big clouds around, but nothing that looked bad or I wouldn't have went myself. So I waited around another 15 minutes or so, and came home.
It never rained until around 7:30.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Sorry to hear it tore but maybe if you get the other portion out you can piece it back together with some double sided laminating paper or something. I sure was looking forward to seeing it and finding out what your "special" codes meant.
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've never seen asterisks by the numbers, never seen those codes after them for '72 either, whatever they are?
the asterisks indicate that particular option is included in another option such as Y60 Accessory Group.

the build sheet is 8 1/2" X 11"
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Cutlass Lover

Holy Toledo Batman! I didn't know it was 8.5 x 11! There must be a whole bunch of it crammed up in there somewhere. If it wasn't in the location it's in, I could get to it a whole lot easier, but I can't work upside down with 2 hands in that space. Damn.

There was also some kind of paper in the bottom back seat, wrapped very tightly around a spring with several of those big heavy looking "staples" around it. No way in hell to get that one off without ripping it to shreads.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM

mine was folded in half, taped to the top of the fuel tank

003-1.jpg
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Cutlass Lover

Ooohhhh.... How cool is that? My whole top part must be under there somewhere.