General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HOW-TO BUILD SHORTBLOCK BOOKS/VIDEOS

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM

HOW-TO BUILD SHORTBLOCK BOOKS/VIDEOS

Hey guys,I'll be building my shortblock soon,I'd like to know what books or videos you'd suggest.I have mondellos tech manual coming.Like to find somthing that would show stock build specs,as well as performance tricks.This will be my first engine assembly,also like to know what special tools will be needed.Do yall know of any material that will show both?
I want to be ''up'' on the terminology,so when i take it too a machinist i can explain what i'd like to do,without sounding like a complete moron.Also a step by step of a build.I'm not sure on what exactly i need right now.Thanks for suggestions,later,BO
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM

I've never built an Olds engine (yet!), but I can tell you that you can never read enough material or talk enough to people that are very familiar with the engine you are building. Learn from others mistakes. And most importantly, as my high school auto shop teacher put it to us years ago....."Pay attention to the DETAILS ladies. Because it is the small things that will come back to bite you in the A$$!" Those words rang clearly in our minds when we tried to start our class project engine build without oil in it. DUH! Seriously I don't have any or know of any reference material for Olds engine building. But I will be paying attention to this post. Because my library could always use a few more good books.
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Yeah,hope someone will ring in some info.My favorite saying is''An ounce of prevention is worth A pound of cure''Thanks,BO
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM

I like this one for both small and big blocks.
John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ance-book.html
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Hey thanks TRUBLU,sounds exactly like what i need.Doesnt hurt having all that good publicty to go along either!I belive i'll buy one,bet there not still 20 bucks though.thanks again,later,BO