General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

yellow original insulation under the dash?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2019, 07:16 AM

yellow original insulation under the dash?

Does anyone know what the original yellow insulation with the black plastic film over it is made of? It is found on many cars but specifically the 60-72 cars. I know many other years used it as well. This is the insulation found up under the dash glued to the bottom side of the cowl area. I am just curious because whatever it is I am highly allergic to it. Any time I am near it and working it is impossible to not get it on you. Anywhere it touches my skin I end up with a severe rash that ends up scabbing over after a couple days. I also have to wear a mask when working around it because if I breath any of it at all I end up at the doctor with a severe lung infection. It is getting to the point that I almost can't even work on these old cars from so many things affecting me and my allergies. The matting under the carpet is another bad one for me.

Just curious if anyone knows what is in it that can cause such allergic reactions.
Old February 7th, 2019, 07:43 AM

It's looks and has the texture of fiberglass but not positive
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Gary

It is likely that the dirt and mold spores that are associated with that old insulation are part of, or perhaps the entire problem. Especially since you note that carpet matting has a similar effect on you. The carpet matting is notorious for developing mold; when it gets wet, it dries very slowly. Over time, that's a good way to incubate mold.

I know what you mean about the insulation. I found I need to wear a proper respirator (not just a paper dust mask) when I work with it.
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:09 AM

my chevelle,every time it rained or i washed it the carpet got wet,i got to the point i could pull the seats and carpet in under half hour.i swear i had it out 50 times thru the years,which at the time was a pain in the butt.BUT now as i restore it my floorboards are pretty much rust free.
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

I strongly suspect that the insulation in Eric's 62 is not fiberglass but probably something more like cellulose.
Old February 7th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I strongly suspect that the insulation in Eric's 62 is not fiberglass but probably something more like cellulose.
And it affects me just as bad as the newer stuff of the 70's.

I do have troubled with mold also but this is not a mold issue. The stuff it is made of is what is affecting me. It is getting much worse as I get older. After I get my Jetfire done I am likely going to have to give up the restoration business if I want to see my retirement years. I am also told that you can't be allergic to rust but it will get me down just as bad also. I have had bad allergies all my life but it is getting much worse.
Old February 7th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
And it affects me just as bad as the newer stuff of the 70's.

I do have troubled with mold also but this is not a mold issue. The stuff it is made of is what is affecting me. It is getting much worse as I get older. After I get my Jetfire done I am likely going to have to give up the restoration business if I want to see my retirement years. I am also told that you can't be allergic to rust but it will get me down just as bad also. I have had bad allergies all my life but it is getting much worse.
I'm completely sympathetic. I've had the same problems while working under the dash of my 62. Worse, the insulation gets really friable with age, so more fibers are released. Be sure to use a mask.
Old February 8th, 2019, 06:19 AM
Gary

I agree, Joe. The fibers become more friable with age (slow oxidation could be degrading them). Fiberglass would not do that.
Old February 8th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Jeff

Be sure to use a mask.
+10000000000000000

Considering the widespread usage of materials back then that are now known to be harmful, this is great advice. I'd also throw in that it would be best to keep skin exposure to a minimum. If your allergies are that bad, then do what you need to keep yourself healthy while pursuing your passion. I've seen guys go into paint booths with full suits on, including head coverage.

I once stopped by a friend's house when home from college. He had bought an old farmhouse, and was gutting / remodeling / expanding. I walked in with my shirt pulled up over my nose, only to find him doing demolition without any safety equipment. No mask, no goggles. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? HAVEN'T YOU EVER HEARD OF ASBESTOS?" Needless to say, sometime within the next couple of years, he wound up getting a serious lung infection that damn-near killed him.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 12:05 PM

Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket replacement for this unknown insulation? Or do i get the think insulation from the hardware store? since i ripped all mine out (actually most fell out like snow while working inside the dash) i would like to replace.

Thanks,
Ed
Old April 2nd, 2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ewarnke19
Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket replacement for this unknown insulation? Or do i get the think insulation from the hardware store? since i ripped all mine out (actually most fell out like snow while working inside the dash) i would like to replace.

Thanks,
Ed
Nobody make a reproduction of this insulation. There is a replacement available that is not even close to original and does not even fit the same. I think I got mine from Fusick or Inline Tube?
Old April 2nd, 2019, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Nobody make a reproduction of this insulation. There is a replacement available that is not even close to original and does not even fit the same. I think I got mine from Fusick or Inline Tube?
I removed all that nasty insulation while doing some R&R under my dash (71' CS Convertible). I purchased two items from Michael's Hobby store while I was there ~6 months ago for various interior applications; one of which was replacement insulation. I used foam padding. I'm sure you can use whatever you want or nothing all. I found the foam easier to manage & cut to specific sizes. The other item they have I like is the rolls of cotton upholstery batting - a very good quality and less expensive than most auto parts supply houses.

EDIT: BTW, they provide a military veteran's discount.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:00 PM
Bfg

I have used jute backing from the trunk insulation mat from newer cars. Cut it to size and use 3M spray adhesive. Looks factory!
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:01 AM

When I did the total resto on my 66 Cutlass, I used the stuff from the Home Improvement stores
designed for HVAC work. The stuff was an insulation w/ foil or a hard black substance approx .750 thick and it worked great, easy to cut and shape and used w/ spray contact cement.
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:30 PM

the stuff available from fusick is from REM, it weighs a friggin ton. I used the millenium industries brand which I got from the parts place. MUCH closer to the lightweight original stuff
my first attempt was the 3M general purpose spray adhesive. after a week or so it was falling down, ie it didn't hold. I bought real adhesive, weldwood vinyl top cement. works perfectly. nasty stuff though.
Old April 4th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ewarnke19
Thanks,
Ed
For the underdash there's a 3 piece aftermarket kit available that has a different construction. The new stuff has the grayish/bluish wool/cotton/shredded-denim stuff base with the tar-paper-like facing like some of the a/m firewall pads.

Originally Posted by junior supercar
I used the millenium industries brand which I got from the parts place. MUCH closer to the lightweight original stuff
my first attempt was the 3M general purpose spray adhesive. after a week or so it was falling down, ie it didn't hold. I bought real adhesive, weldwood vinyl top cement. works perfectly. nasty stuff though.
^^ I think this is probably what I got & had the same experience.

Another insulation item I needed was the filthy deteriorating yellow/grayish stuff in the kick panel plenums in the cowl. It didn't have the black plastic'trash bag' type facing like the under-dash pieces and was more like 1" thick yellow fiberglass.
I think its something other than actual fiberglass because it comes apart if it gets soaking wet (yeah, I tried to wash mine)
Don't know if it's correct, but I got a sheet of yellow/grayish insulation from a refrigerator that's almost the exact same thickness & consistency and am going to use what's left of the originals for templates.

Re: Firewall pads - Most a/m have the denim/tar-paper-like construction. But if you search hard enough you can find ones that have a glossy black plastic 'thick trash bag' facing like the (or at least, my) original.
Old April 4th, 2019, 04:19 PM

DynaMat or the like works very well. I put it in my car and it works much better than the OEM style insulation.