General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

T350 Auto Shifter

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:46 PM

Question T350 Auto Shifter

What is the best recommendation for an aftermarket floor shifter for my 1964 F-85 Cutlass that has been changed to a T350??

The car is an original floor shift with the center console, so I would like something I can integrate with that.

Thanks,

Thirdcoast
Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Thirdcoast
What is the best recommendation for an aftermarket floor shifter for my 1964 F-85 Cutlass that has been changed to a T350??

The car is an original floor shift with the center console, so I would like something I can integrate with that.

Thanks,

Thirdcoast
Shiftworks sells a conversion kit for your stock floor shifter to use it with a three speed or four speed automatic.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:55 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Joe

As usual, you are The Source..

I am probably going to have to change the shifter lever as mine has been broken where it goes into the T-Handle.. Been trying to figure how to repair it, but think part is gone..

TC
Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

I am probably going to have to change the shifter lever as mine has been broken where it goes into the T-Handle.. Been trying to figure how to repair it, but think part is gone..

TC
I had a hunch...

You can try adapting the G-body Cutlass shifter to the original console. It has a similar size and stick. These came in both three speed and four speed versions. G-body on the right.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:17 PM

I would suggest another possible choice, the B&M Quicksilver shifter is installed in my 67 CS with factory console. I guess it depends on your need for originality. You do lose the gear position indicator but I'm still looking to get mine to work.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 05:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by danktx
I would suggest another possible choice, the B&M Quicksilver shifter is installed in my 67 CS with factory console. I guess it depends on your need for originality. You do lose the gear position indicator but I'm still looking to get mine to work.
Keep in mind that the OP has a 64 with the early console and round shifter stick.
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Shifter

Joe, I think I did not give the correct info on my shifter. I am attaching a picture of my console & shifter.

1964 F85 Cutlass Driver Side Interior

It apparently has already been changed to the T Handle model in the picture. The problem I have which seems to be fairly common is the Shifter Lever top where it connects to the T Handle is broken.
I guess I need a new Shifter or a new Shift Lever or thanks to the link to Shiftworks, their adapter to a round ball..

I am open to any of these fixes, but for now will try to rethread the broken top of my existing shift lever, then if that works purchase the adapter form Shiftworks.
If that does not work, I will probably purchase an aftermarket shift lever if I can find one.

Thanks for all the help,

Thirdcoast
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, I think I did not give the correct info on my shifter. I am attaching a picture of my console & shifter.
1964 F85 Cutlass Driver Side Interior

It apparently has already been changed to the T Handle model in the picture. The problem I have which seems to be fairly common is the Shifter Lever top where it connects to the T Handle is broken.
I guess I need a new Shifter or a new Shift Lever or thanks to the link to Shiftworks, their adapter to a round ball..

I am open to any of these fixes, but for now will try to rethread the broken top of my existing shift lever, then if that works purchase the adapter form Shiftworks.
If that does not work, I will probably purchase an aftermarket shift lever if I can find one.

Thanks for all the help,

Thirdcoast
The T-handle is correct for your car. Ignore the Pontiac shifter in the previous photo I posted - that's just the first photo I stole off the web.
The top of the stick has a finicky arrangement and the pot metal tabs break very easily.

Once these little tabs break off, it is nearly impossible to repair (yeah, there have been people who machine off the top of the stick and fit a stainless steel extension instead). I suggested using the G-body shifter because they are readily available, already work with a three speed trans, and are close in shape and function to the original.