General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Napa rip

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2019, 03:11 PM

Napa rip

Went to the local NAPA store yesterday to get some formed heater hoses for my 95' Mustang and had to order them due to not in stock. They were at the NAPA warehouse here in Atlanta. There was UPS delivery charge to the store from the warehouse!!! When I picked the hoses up there were NAPA stickers and PNs on the hoses.
My question to NAPA and retail America is...do you want the public to do their shopping on line where there are no shipping charges.
The norm used to be, go to NAPA in the morning, order part, get it that afternoon, their runner picked it up!
Dennis
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Always room for one more

Dennis if you went to NAPA across from Walmart on North Henry, they are notorious for doing things the easy way that ends up screwing the customer. Haven't gone there in years. If I need NAPA knowhow I go to the one in Ellenwood, at the end of East Atlanta. It's a little farther but the guys are knowledgeable and won't try to take you for a ride.
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:12 PM

Here in Calif. I may go to three auto parts stores and no part but NAPA always has what I need. And never any lines to deal with but I like the $ 20 discount after $ 20 buys at Auto Zone.
Gerald
Old January 12th, 2019, 03:59 AM

I had a bunch of buddies who used to work at various auto parts stores. I knew of how they had been downsized and considered themselves lucky to still have a job at about 2/3 pay of what they used to make, so I always tried to support them and the store they worked at. Now they have all went to different fields and I have started to buy most my parts on line. I like it., it works good and I have less problems with getting the correct parts that at the old parts stores. It's just another example of technology taking jobs. I keep telling myself I can't compare today and tomorrow with the past but I still try to.
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:15 AM

here in saratoga our napa store is still pretty reliable .The people behind the counter have been there forever and know their stuff .It also has a shop in the back with 2 very capable machinist .Im glad to still have them in town.our big box stores are ok ,but its always hit or miss if you get the correct part
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

If your local stores are still useful to you, you're lucky. Here in the D.C. area, nothing I need is ever in stock. I make it a point to check the local stores' websites to verify which stores have the part before I waste the time to drive over there. Half the time the on-line listing is wrong and they don't have the part. This is why I get nearly everything on line these days. I mean, I don't expect them to have parts for my half-century-old cars on the shelf, but there must be millions of my 1999 Chevy truck still on the road, and they don't have parts for that in stock. About the only things I can get at NAPA reliably are oil filters.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:08 PM

i hate to say, i buy most everything online..if i have time, and most of those outlets are a day or so away..

i havent bought anything from the Zone or Orielys in ages..its just a joke..
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by marxjunk
i hate to say, i buy most everything online..if i have time, and most of those outlets are a day or so away..

i havent bought anything from the Zone or Orielys in ages..its just a joke..
Fortunately for me, nearly all my vehicles are Olds V8s from 60s-80s, so most parts are common. Anything that's "mission critical" (alternator rebuild parts, starter rebuild parts, water pump, t-stat, hoses, carb kits, water pumps, gaskets) I keep on the shelf for quick repair and just order a new one from RA when I use the old one.
Old January 12th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Olds Fever

I like dealing with one of our local NAPA's in the area... Just recently I was searching for an exhaust pipe for one of my 92 Trofeos and they located one for me in Connecticut... Ordered it about 10:00 AM and received a call at 7:45 PM that it had arrived... I did pay a small shipping charge, but then again, it did not come from one of the local area warehouses... The person who assisted me actually showed me on the computer each location where one was available, one being Connecticut and the only other location IIRC was Wisconsin...
Old January 12th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

My local parts stores are pretty good. But being right outside Chicago spoils me as most suppliers have major warehouses in the area. If they dont have they can get it by 2 pm if i let them know by 12 pm. Plus i also go through the shops account. Commercial accounts get bumped up in priority. Plus the discount aint bad either. I have 10 parts stores in less than a 3 mile radius. That's how crazy it is
Old January 13th, 2019, 05:06 AM

My local Napa store(Medina Ohio)is always my first choice. The store is well stocked & has great people. I replaced all the body mounts on my '68 this past summer. The "factory correct" core support bushings I bought from Inline were quite a bit thinner than my original mounts so I needed to get some body shims. Napa had them in stock!! even had 2 thicknesses 1/16 &1/8. They looked just like the ones in the assembly manual. I was sad when they closed their machine shop a couple of years ago, they were the last game in town. I had my flywheel & brake drums done there. Unfortunately they're off the "beaten path" in town & with places like rock auto, ebay & others I don't see them being around much longer! Sad!!
Old January 13th, 2019, 07:39 AM
72 Olds CS

In the 80s w had a local Napa w machine shop. At some point the machine shop disappeared, I didn't have the cars or money to use the MS. Not to long after that the Napa went out. For a long time we had a car quest store they were great about getting part later that same day or the next day and they mix paint and make hyd hoses. They moved from a good location to grocery store plaza location that put them out of sight and out of the way. Car quest got bought by advance auto. Now the local advance auto mixes paint and makes hyd hoses ( I just got some for my plow last winter, good parts). They are reasonably well stocked, and most times I order online and pick up in store as they have a 20% off coupon when you OOPUiS. Pricier parts still cost much less on rockauto and if I'm planning ahead for a job I get it at rockauto.

The other thing about rock auto is the choices, I can choose from motorcraft, AC delco, moog, or an assortment of off brands all w different price points. For my stuff I like moog motorcraft or AC delco, but last year the starter went on a truck I was selling, I got the lowest priced replacement and had no issues w it.
Old January 14th, 2019, 06:06 AM

My local NAPA store is like playing "Let's Make a Deal". I go on-line and find out what a part is worth and then call them to order it. They tell me the price and I tell them I can buy it on-line for "$X" an then they usually match the price. It's gotten so old I hardly do it anymore. They've pulled the same thing about trying to charge me UPS to get a part. I tell them if I'm going to do that I'll order it on Amazon Prime. I don't mind paying a little more there but they are consistently more than 25% higher. It's too bad because they are locally owned and I'd like to do business with them

Last edited by allyolds68; January 14th, 2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old January 14th, 2019, 11:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Now for the rest of the story about my NAPA store.
The store recently went through a modernization, at which time all the books disappeared and the mighty computer took their place. The two guys that had been there since Henry Ford rolled out the first model T also left. The personal there now are nice but don't go out of their way to help and their knowledge of cars, especially classics is mostly lacking. The days of walking into a parts store and saying I need such and such and the parts clerk saying, ahh that's part number xyz123, I'll go in the back and get it for you are gone.
By the way I would never call a parts MAN a clerk.
Dennis
Old January 14th, 2019, 12:19 PM

I usually shop RA unless its an "emergency" and I need something NOW. Then its off to AZ, AA or O'Reillys. NAPA us usually a last resort since they tend to be higher-priced, but every once in awhile I find a gem there. Back in the pre-internet days I used to patronize a locally owned shop (HIRES), they usually always had what I was looking for (the short horizontal rear shocks on my '69 Toronado come to mind.......a dusty pair was found at HIRES). However, one time one of the guys behind the counter tried to tell me that Pontiac never put a 455 in a Trans Am (I was looking for a carb rebuild kit for mine). I just laughed and walked out, that experience soured me on HIRES.
Old January 14th, 2019, 04:42 PM

Stopped going to NAPA 25 Years ago. They went the same way as the rest of the Auto suppliers and in my area even faster. They hire Idiot milliennials that punch in computer numbers with ZERO knowledge of any part and how it actually works.
Old January 14th, 2019, 04:52 PM
MOTORHEAD

slave to the grind

I did work in a NAPA aluminum head shop
I did deliver parts in a little white truck with a BIG hat on top

Sad to say the **** in a white box
Has become the normality

oh well

Buy "factory parts" when you are able
Old January 14th, 2019, 07:11 PM

Last week I went to NAPA and asked the nice young man behind the counter if he had a gallon of Dyna-glass or Everglass body filler. He looked at me as if I had grown 3 heads and said
"UHHH is that like Bondo? After explaining to him what it was, 10 minutes later he found a gallon of Everglass at $87.00 I informed him I could buy the same item online for $62.00. A few more clicks of the computer I was informed he could save me $5.00 and sell it to me for $82.00. I respectively declined, went home and placed an order with Summit Racing where I purchased the Everglass body filler for $61.99 with free shipping had it 2 days later. I was willing and expecting to pay a couple of dollars more at NAPA but not $20.00. Unfortunately with NAPA I often find I can't afford to do business locally.
Old January 14th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Body supplies at most parts stores are over priced. I pay about 40 per gallon for Duraglass made by USC. If you want good prices on hody supplies try TP tools. Lucky for me autobodytoolmart is. A 5 minite drive
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:56 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I haven't been parts shopping in the USA for a few years now.
But I found Carquest in Llano, Tx offered by far the best service for me. O'Reillys were very good in the early 2000's but seemed to go downhill before the end of the decade. I found most other parts stores, Pep Boys, Napa, etc, to be ok but not great.
I dare say I shall be visiting America again soon, I'll be interested to see how things have changed.

Roger.
Old January 17th, 2019, 02:16 PM
BZZBRand

Just a quick little shout out for supporting NAPA, most all NAPA stores have access to most all NAPA warehouses for locating items that are not stocked locally, some have some nice delivery trucks that run at night so some parts can be had in a day or two at no additional charge, but then there are some circumstances that would require shipping charges. A good parts man, I know hard to find these days but they are out there, will normally advise the customer of any additional charges before they are ordered so the customer can make the decision to purchase or not. Also most stores have other non-NAPA parts available but there again you need a competent parts person to assist you in your search. Just a quick FYI post.
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:10 PM

I've found in larger cities like Phoenix that the warehouse store usually stocks common parts (brake pads, hoses etc.) for my '71 Cutlass. Not sure I can say the same for Auto Zone, O'Rielleys etc. I once tried ordering a vacuum advance from an Auto Zone, and it took well over a week before the wrong part eventually showed up. I usually have good luck with Rock Auto, but the return process is automated. Forget about talking with any knowledgeable individual, unfortunately good parts countermen are becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited by oldsonharmont; January 17th, 2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Just a thought...... when you break a fan belt, a radiator hose, or something similar and are sitting by the road or in your driveway.....Amazon Prime can have it there in two days. And the shipping is free. Without a doubt, competitive pricing is a good thing. Companies remain in business if they can make a profit.....or they close locations.
Old January 20th, 2019, 03:22 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The manager at the Llano Carquest manged to find me a reman distributor for a 1968 Rambler Rebel, and get it from Illinois to Texas in two days, this was in 2007, I was told it was one of two in the country at that time.

Roger.
Old January 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM

I would like to just thanks those who continue to support there local parts stores, I just happen to to work at my local Napa and have so for 26 years and yes we are not perfect and yes we have to order things we don’t have on hand and maybe we aren’t as cheap as those online retailers like rock auto but we are there locally to help and support the communities we live in. Most rural Napa store are locally owned not those corporate owned giants that only care about the dollars you spend but care about you and the community you live in and gives back to the community.
Old January 21st, 2019, 02:02 PM

I remember in the early 1960s every town had a NAPA. They pretty much had a lock on the "regular" automotive parts. Every town had a speed shop also that had or could get speed/custom parts. Some NAPA's did machine work as did some of the Speed Shops. Local Chevrolet dealer had Service and Parts department open from 8am to midnight. Those days are gone. I have 3 NAPAs within 8 miles. I use the 2 closes because they are knowledgeable and can get the parts within a day or 2, without a shipping charge. I'll use the big chain stores if I have coupons/discount codes. NAPA is my first stop.