General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fisher body film

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2019, 02:59 AM

Fisher body film

Old January 5th, 2019, 06:27 AM

I enjoyed watching that. Is it weird that I found it exciting? Thanks for posting.
Old January 5th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

cool film.
Old January 5th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Forward into the Past

That film is charmingly dated. The technology seems so archaic by modern standards--and so sexist! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to incorporate it into the Technology & Society class that I teach.
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Good luck with that. The women seamstress alone is a treasure trove for todays me too movement and ACLU
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I didn't pay any attention to the 'sexual stereotyping'. I was more interested in the processes that were discussed and the production rates. Would have been cool to see Olds A bodies on the line instead of Monte Carlo's though. Definitely a time capsule worth watching again.
Old January 5th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Exclamation

One of the toughest jobs in the plant (I know because I did it) was wrestling with the huge spot welder
on the body line.

I ended up in a pit spot welding the inner wheelhouses to the quarter panels. You applied a thick bead of a maroon colored sealer between
the panels, and went to town spot welding.

The sparks would go into your coveralls, and it was really hot. The job was so hard that new employees might last 30 minutes and walk out.

The body shop jobs were the worst in the plant.

The absolute worst was the Lead Line, where molten lead was slathered on to the roof pillars, and ground down. NASTY!
Old January 5th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by My442
One of the toughest jobs in the plant (I know because I did it) was wrestling with the huge spot welder
on the body line.

I ended up in a pit spot welding the inner wheelhouses to the quarter panels. You applied a thick bead of a maroon colored sealer between
the panels, and went to town spot welding.

The sparks would go into your coveralls, and it was really hot. The job was so hard that new employees might last 30 minutes and walk out.

The body shop jobs were the worst in the plant.

The absolute worst was the Lead Line, where molten lead was slathered on to the roof pillars, and ground down. NASTY!

I agree the body shop was very nasty when I hired in at fisher lansing. tabbaco spit all over the floor,grease and grime everywhere. but we went in everyday and complained about our job,but deep inside we liked our jobs,you had to to be able to be at it for years and years. I was utility for body shop,someone didn't show up,guess where I went. learned all those jobs,even the one you speak of. retired now,but love looking back and remembering it all. thanks for the film,i enjoyed it. ps I was 4th gen fisher worker,and my son now works for lgr in lansing.
Old January 6th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
I agree the body shop was very nasty when I hired in at fisher lansing. tabbaco spit all over the floor,grease and grime everywhere. but we went in everyday and complained about our job,but deep inside we liked our jobs,you had to to be able to be at it for years and years. I was utility for body shop,someone didn't show up,guess where I went. learned all those jobs,even the one you speak of. retired now,but love looking back and remembering it all. thanks for the film,i enjoyed it. ps I was 4th gen fisher worker,and my son now works for lgr in lansing.
A lot of people "liked" the job because of the excellent salary. Secondary to that was actually liking the job to do at hand.
Old January 6th, 2019, 07:30 AM

It's hard to watch and realize that most of the component manufacturing jobs that are shown have left the U.S.

It would be neat to have another video presentation that parallels this one but showing and contrasting against todays technology.