General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Strange tank under floor

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Strange tank under floor

I saw this under a Rallye 350 for sale at Gateway Classic Cars. Any idea what this tank is?

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/HO...ile-Rallye-350

Pat
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:45 AM

I am guessing its a vacuum tank, but no indication of vacuum lines.
Old January 4th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

I know what it isn't - it isn't factory. The paint on the underside is a tribute to the quality of the restoration...

I especially like this part of the ad:

the original stock 15-inch Olds wheels look fantastic and are wrapped in some reliable Firestone tires that have plenty of life in them.
Did they not actually LOOK at the tires before writing that (hint: note the G70-14)?

This also pegs the meter:

All drive train components are in excellent condition and that may be due to the car having very low miles (76435 original miles!!),
I'm sorry. On what planet is 76,000 miles considered LOW mileage?

Another good one:

The car does have seatbelts for all 4 passengers
Funny, because by law, the car was required to have belts for every available passenger location - that's FIVE with buckets and SIX with bench.

This whole ad sets new standards.

Old January 4th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Jeff

It's possible that it's a reservoir tank for leveling shocks? But why mount it underneath instead of in the trunk?

I'm suddenly reminded of a 90's-era SNL sketch: "YOU PUT YOUR WEED IN THERE!"
Old January 4th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Weezer
It's possible that it's a reservoir tank for leveling shocks? But why mount it underneath instead of in the trunk?
Aftermarket air shocks don't use a reservoir tank. The factory RPO G66 system didn't either.
Old January 4th, 2019, 02:30 PM

I wonder if they put a huge cam in it and added this as a supplemental vacuum storage to run the power brakes?

Seems real odd to have it hanging down under the car though.

Pat
Old January 4th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fasteddy
I wonder if they put a huge cam in it and added this as a supplemental vacuum storage to run the power brakes?

Seems real odd to have it hanging down under the car though.

Pat
Interesting thought, but as you point out, it would be really silly to put it there. Most fit more easily in the cavity behind the left front wheel, which is also very close to the brake booster. Of course, this is allegedly a totally stock Rallye, and the L74 motor has plenty of vacuum for power brakes and the A/C that shows up in the photos. I wonder if this is some sort of storage container, say for hiding extra keys.
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:31 PM

It's probably a house for all the spiders. guessing by all the webs under there. LOL
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Old January 4th, 2019, 06:51 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That was my thought. It was Jimmy Hoffa's car.

Old January 4th, 2019, 06:55 PM

flux capacitor!!
Old January 4th, 2019, 07:04 PM

That appears to be right under the driver's feet. I wonder if there's a flap in the carpet, a hole and flapper in the floorboard, and a pistol holster in the container.
Old January 5th, 2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm sorry. On what planet is 76,000 miles considered LOW mileage?
Im sorry, like everywhere else on the planet where they manage to build cars that last over 100000 miles and by far without needing complete engine and trans overhaul. It seems to be only US culture where cars are considered almost as a consumable which you can soon trash. And that goes even at 70's.
Old January 5th, 2019, 01:21 AM

Maybe some kind of alarm system or sensor?
Old January 5th, 2019, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Inline
Im sorry, like everywhere else on the planet where they manage to build cars that last over 100000 miles and by far without needing complete engine and trans overhaul. It seems to be only US culture where cars are considered almost as a consumable which you can soon trash. And that goes even at 70's.
Way back when these cars were just used for transportation, 60k miles and/or 10 years old, were the kiss of death. They usually required a top end overhaul, timing chain and valve job. They also would require upper ball joints and Aframe bushings at the minimum. They were engineered with built in obsolescence and never expected to last much past 15 years. So by todays standard, yes 76k is considered low miles, however they were actually sale proof and considered junk.
Old January 5th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Way back when these cars were just used for transportation, 60k miles and/or 10 years old, were the kiss of death. They usually required a top end overhaul, timing chain and valve job. They also would require upper ball joints and Aframe bushings at the minimum. They were engineered with built in obsolescence and never expected to last much past 15 years. So by todays standard, yes 76k is considered low miles, however they were actually sale proof and considered junk.
I strongly disagree. I've seen a few and had Olds one 350's turn the 100,000 mark multiple times while needing nothing internal done. Chevy's & Pontiacs, yes 80 to 125K and time for a new cam, set of lifters and while you're in there a timing chain. Buick I can't say, I've only had recent (past 5 years) experience with them. The 455 that's another story.
Old January 5th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Inline
I'm sorry, but having lived through the 1960s and worked on a boatload of these cars, they were never designed to last over 100,000 miles. Auto enthusiasts don't like to admit it, but the single biggest influence on automotive longevity has been emissions laws. EPA requirements for cars to comply with emissions standards for 50,000 miles and then 100,000 miles without tuneups are the main reason. Cleaner, unleaded fuel has dramatically reduced oil contamination. More precise startup and rapid warmup has prevented raw fuel from washing down the cylinder walls on a cold start. None of this technology existed when that Rallye was designed in the early-1960s. Keep in mind that a 1970 Cutlass has essentially the same chassis, brakes, steering, and engine as the ones introduced in 1963 on the new 64 Cutlass.
Old January 5th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

So by todays standard, yes 76k is considered low miles,
I wouldn't even say that. More middle age. For a car built in the last 30 years or so, I'd say under 50K is low, 50-150 is probably average for what's on the road, and over 150 is high. My 1985 Chevy truck had about about 80K when I got it and was just over 200 when I sold it. It was definitely wearing out. My current 1999 truck (the only vehicle I've ever bought new) has over 280K on it now, and it's definitely in need of major work. I've rebuilt the suspension and brakes at 150K or so, put in two transmissions, and replaced all the brake and fuel lines. At this point I need to do some of that stuff a second time.
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:10 AM

I wouldn't even say that. More middle age. For a car built in the last 30 years or so, I'd say under 50K is low, 50-150 is probably average for what's on the road, and over 150 is high. My 1985 Chevy truck had about about 80K when I got it and was just over 200 when I sold it. It was definitely wearing out. My current 1999 truck (the only vehicle I've ever bought new) has over 280K on it now, and it's definitely in need of major work. I've rebuilt the suspension and brakes at 150K or so, put in two transmissions, and replaced all the brake and fuel lines. At this point I need to do some of that stuff a second time.
Yep same here with my 06 Silverado. Bought it new and rebuilt one trans., changed all the lines, both rear calipars, front hubs, Power steering pump, exhaust manifolds to bolt on SS headers, no EGR but it keeps giving me a misfire code which chats say to relearn the EGR codes? Most likely going to change the coils since I can't tell which one is bad, only shows the engine light on the highway. I'd expect the exhaust to go soon, but all in all it's in pretty good shape for an everyday driver and plow truck thats at 150K and 12 years old. 6.0 LS1 still kicks A$$ too.
Old January 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I know what it isn't - it isn't factory. The paint on the underside is a tribute to the quality of the restoration...

I especially like this part of the ad:

Did they not actually LOOK at the tires before writing that (hint: note the G70-14)?

Or even do any research? I dunno - looking at the tire was just toooooo easy. Maybe they are dyslexic.

Old January 5th, 2019, 11:43 AM

No one was actually expecting facts and knowledge from a used car dealer were they?
Old January 5th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Joe P is right. I grew up in the 1960's, and the roads were full of "smokers", cars that burned a lot of oil.

Cars did not last as long as today, and I believe that the oils today are vastly superior to what was available back then.

Add in better designs, better machining, emissions, and lubricants - cars last longer.

And, the corrosion protection today is WAY better.
Old January 5th, 2019, 03:28 PM

Although I'll confess not seeing one on anything this new, it might be a 'bermuda bell'. You step down on a large button it sounds a 'DING DONG' sound. Used to be common on older cars.

Old January 5th, 2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Although I'll confess not seeing one on anything this new, it might be a 'bermuda bell'. You step down on a large button it sounds a 'DING DONG' sound. Used to be common on older cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOB7MjSG3o
Ha, it sort of looks like it and in the right spot- SWEEEEET!!!!
Old January 5th, 2019, 05:00 PM

So what was the purpose of this bell?

Old January 5th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Running On Empty

Car Alarm Siren ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_alarm

Old January 5th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
That appears to be right under the driver's feet. I wonder if there's a flap in the carpet, a hole and flapper in the floorboard, and a pistol holster in the container.
it's behind the crossmember so would be under the drivers seat.

Old January 5th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Running On Empty

You can see its location from a different picture.

Old January 5th, 2019, 06:42 PM

Vacuum reservoir for power door locks?
Old January 5th, 2019, 11:54 PM

I always wanted a dive horn for sudden lane changes.

AHHHOOOOOOOOOOGA
Old January 6th, 2019, 12:26 PM

In going through this thread starting with the OP, I was wondering if anyone was going to suggest it was a "bermuda bell?" Coldwar did, kudos to him!

One has to be, shall we say, long in the tooth to recall bermuda bellls. They were an aftermartkt add-on, usually appearing on the same page of the J.C. Whitney catalog as wolf whistles.

Here is some info ==> https://classicbells.com/info/Chimes.htmlFoot Gongs

Foot gongs are also known as Bermuda carriage bells or "ding dong" bells. This type of bell was used on early automobiles as well as horse carriages. Foot gongs were produced from the very late 1800s through the mid 1900s. Two large hemispherical brass shells resonate when struck to produce a loud, distinctive sound.

Most bells ring continuously from the motion of the vehicle or horse, but a foot gong sounds only when the pedal is pressed. This allows a foot gong to be used as a warning device much like the horn of today's automobiles.

A foot gong was mounted underneath the floorboards of a carriage or early automobile. The shaft of the gong protruded through a small hole in the floor of the vehicle and ends in a small pedal. The driver pressed the pedal with his foot to sound the gong.

We do not sell foot gongs. The best place to find vintage or antique foot gongs is eBay and other online and local auction sites. Manufacturers include Bevin Bros. Mfg. Co., Gong Bell Mfg. Co., and Starr Bros. Bell Co., all of East Hampton, Connecticut; Sutone Corporation of Los Angeles, California; VelveTone; Phoenix; and many others. Parts can be missing or damaged in these gongs, so check carefully before you bid or buy.

New foot gongs are nearly impossible to find. Bevin, while still in business, no longer makes foot gongs. Sutone and Starr Bros. have been out of business for decades. A company called Allegre, based in Portugal, lists foot gongs on their website, but I have no personal experience with this company or its products. New foot gongs from Asia are sometimes sold on eBay, but I have heard from buyers that the sound is poor.
Old January 6th, 2019, 12:40 PM

That's my vote

And yes, I'm old enough to remember when "party" was a noun
Old January 6th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Dave,
Thanks for posting the detailed description of what these are.
Old January 7th, 2019, 05:13 PM

I've thought about those bells off and on but haven't heard one since the 1900's.