General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

For your viewing pleasure...

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2018, 06:45 PM

For your viewing pleasure...

So I gave my stepson the keys to my Cutlass for the day to take some pics, and this is what he saw through his lens....enjoy!

Last edited by 72455; November 16th, 2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old November 16th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Nice, thanks for sharing.
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:16 PM

Hi 72455,
Nice looking Cutlass. Where in VA are you located? I'm in N. VA in Loudoun Co.
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frisbee_k9
Hi 72455,
Nice looking Cutlass. Where in VA are you located? I'm in N. VA in Loudoun Co.
Thanks...I'm in Chesapeake. We'll have to get together and have a couple beers and swap some lies😀
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
Thanks...I'm in Chesapeake. We'll have to get together and have a couple beers and swap some lies😀
Sounds great. My sister lives In Norfolk.
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:46 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Nice, does Big Jerry need some calendar shots?
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Nice, does Big Jerry need some calendar shots?
Dunno who Big Jerry is...???
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
Dunno who Big Jerry is...???
Oh wow, I guess some of us are showing our age. Big Jerr is famous here for his very many years of publishing calendars showcasing Oldsmobiles and, ahem, attractive women.
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:21 AM
72 Olds CS

Huh keys to the BBO powered cutlass and no smokey burnout shots....maybe he's waiting to show you those pics

car looks nice
Old November 17th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Sharp ride and some creative perspectives. Your son is doing well so far!
Old November 17th, 2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Frisbee_k9
Sounds great. My sister lives In Norfolk.
Sweet...do you head down to see her much?
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:23 AM

Awesome pics!

I love those wheels, they're Cragar SS right? Can't go wrong with their iconic look.
Old November 18th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Awesome pics!

I love those wheels, they're Cragar SS right? Can't go wrong with their iconic look.
Actually they're vintage Rocket Racing wheels, and thanks.
Old February 15th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, as per my PM here is the image of the RH mirror. There is no RPO code I know of for these but they do a decent job matching the look and front profile of the Drivers mirror.

Old November 27th, 2021, 06:19 PM

Hood Scoops

The hood scoops that you mounted really sharpen the cars looks up. The stance , tires , rear spoiler , and hood scoops make the car present itself as a car to be reckoned with. A great looking car! I wish that more Olds folks would make the effort to wander off the beaten path a bit and make the Olds appearance eye catching.For the most part I have finished the mechanical work on my 68 and am now working to give the car the look that I want. The motor is a 455 bored and stroked to 500 cu in and is loaded with plenty of goodies that make it both stronger and more powerful than the original 455. I wanted a way to get cooler air to the motor and looked at several options. A body guy that had done some work for me suggested that I look at the hood scoop and air intake system on the 65 - 67 GTO's. As it turns out I really liked the look of the scoops and the simplicity of the air inlet. A 68 Cutlass hood was purchased as well as a reproduction 65 - 67 GTO hood. If things did not work out I did not want to ruin a pristine Cutlass hood. Also to be rounded up was the GTO air inlet system. This was all available in reproduction parts. Prior to measuring we mounted the GTO air inlet system on the Cutlass and got it situated where it needed to be in order to work properly with the hood closed above it. The Air filter base was a custom effort with part of my original assembly welded to the modified GTO base. With the air assembly mounted where we wanted it the measuring began.After alot of measuring and remeasuring the hood frame that supported the scoop and air inlet was cut out of the hood and grafted into the Olds hood. We were lucky to get a good Olds hood with no rust hidden between the hood skin and frame. The project is nearly done with the scoop mounted and the hood primered and ready for some Fire Red paint and a single black stripe. It will get finished off with a 1/4" black pinstripe surrounding the main stripe 1/4" away.
Given how many mods the car has had done I am also going to present it as a Cutlass SS. The interior is still stock 68 but pretty well everything else has had a healthy dose of attention. It was not built as a 442 clone but just as a vision that I had in my head! My SS badges are getting close to done with the fellow doing it refining his mold to make them cleaner and looking more OE like. I am sure that the purists won't like the off the beaten track look but I do not worry about it as the car belongs to me and I am free and able to do as I please to it - good or bad. To my American friends - Happy Thanksgiving!

Prior to Cosmetic surgery

GTO Air assembly

GTO air assembly side

Modified Olds Hood frame

Ready for sanding and prep

Primered with stripe laid out

Primered with stripe laid out rear view

Factory looking underside. Hard to tell it has been edited.

First Cut at my Cutlass SS badging
Old November 27th, 2021, 06:44 PM

Neat! That's a kool idea! I like the execution so far. It will be exciting when completed. Interesting take on the SS emblem. As I read the text, I was wondering what it would look like. I like the Olds styling.
Old November 27th, 2021, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by rummer
The hood scoops that you mounted really sharpen the cars looks up. The stance , tires , rear spoiler , and hood scoops make the car present itself as a car to be reckoned with. A great looking car! I wish that more Olds folks would make the effort to wander off the beaten path a bit and make the Olds appearance eye catching.For the most part I have finished the mechanical work on my 68 and am now working to give the car the look that I want. The motor is a 455 bored and stroked to 500 cu in and is loaded with plenty of goodies that make it both stronger and more powerful than the original 455. I wanted a way to get cooler air to the motor and looked at several options. A body guy that had done some work for me suggested that I look at the hood scoop and air intake system on the 65 - 67 GTO's. As it turns out I really liked the look of the scoops and the simplicity of the air inlet. A 68 Cutlass hood was purchased as well as a reproduction 65 - 67 GTO hood. If things did not work out I did not want to ruin a pristine Cutlass hood. Also to be rounded up was the GTO air inlet system. This was all available in reproduction parts. Prior to measuring we mounted the GTO air inlet system on the Cutlass and got it situated where it needed to be in order to work properly with the hood closed above it. The Air filter base was a custom effort with part of my original assembly welded to the modified GTO base. With the air assembly mounted where we wanted it the measuring began.After alot of measuring and remeasuring the hood frame that supported the scoop and air inlet was cut out of the hood and grafted into the Olds hood. We were lucky to get a good Olds hood with no rust hidden between the hood skin and frame. The project is nearly done with the scoop mounted and the hood primered and ready for some Fire Red paint and a single black stripe. It will get finished off with a 1/4" black pinstripe surrounding the main stripe 1/4" away.
Given how many mods the car has had done I am also going to present it as a Cutlass SS. The interior is still stock 68 but pretty well everything else has had a healthy dose of attention. It was not built as a 442 clone but just as a vision that I had in my head! My SS badges are getting close to done with the fellow doing it refining his mold to make them cleaner and looking more OE like. I am sure that the purists won't like the off the beaten track look but I do not worry about it as the car belongs to me and I am free and able to do as I please to it - good or bad. To my American friends - Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks for the comments, but my car has since had a couple cosmetic changes since I posted these pics....442 grille swap...

...and a hood swap...

....and a recent pic..

Old November 28th, 2021, 04:41 AM
Bfg

Why the black stone shield?
Old November 28th, 2021, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Why the black stone shield?
That was done by a PO...as was the rear bumper.

Old November 28th, 2021, 07:56 AM

I actually liked the hood scoops, they gave it-a different look.. 442 grills definitely ad some wow factor..nice car
Old October 31st, 2023, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by rummer
Been a long time since I updated.
And, the reason you hijacked this thread to post your images was...? Best to post your images in a separate thread honestly.
Old October 31st, 2023, 05:12 PM

Thread Hijack

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
And, the reason you hijacked this thread to post your images was...? Best to post your images in a separate thread honestly.
Did not mean to offend. Wanted this in my original the " Cutlass Progress" thread but obviously did not get it there. Some of us Olds guys are a little not all that tech savy but are car nuts. Good thing that I am not a astronaut or commercial pilot. Just a car guy!
Old October 31st, 2023, 07:31 PM
W30

Lol

So what's the white car look like now?
I like it without the small stick on scoops.