General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass Supreme Rear Trunk Letters Should I ??

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2018, 07:42 AM

72 Cutlass Supreme Rear Trunk Letters Should I ??

I have bought a 70's trunk lid and kinda like the clean look of no letters but torn with back to stock or clean. Without the letters there is no risk of leaks which these rusted out first due to the letters. But this car will hardly see the out doors as its main storage. I remember trying to wax around these little SOB's and those of you that have them know. So?

Was 71 and 72 the only years?
Have there been any others that have left them off?
Will leaving them off take away from its originality and value that much?

Last edited by AJFink; July 17th, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:04 AM

I think they're a signature part of 1971-72 Supreme styling (pun intended?). It's not uncommon for people to delete them when they do body and paint. Two of my V Code Supremes did not have the letters when I bought them. I bought a different decklid for my current V Code so that it would have the letters back.

My other '72 Supreme still has its letters too - when I wax around them, I just use a Q-tip with Meguiars' detailer on it to remove the excess. Comes right off.
Terry
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:05 AM

A V code (not mine in this case) without the letters. Looks clean but kind of naked.
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:08 AM

My original paint '72 Supreme (350 car) with its letters. I think it's a key part of their styling in those two years.<br/><br/>
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by vette442

A V code (not mine in this case) without the letters. Looks clean but kind of naked.

I like examples like this, Yes its clean.
I was also wondering if there was a company that has 3D chrome lettering that I could stick on like the new cars today?
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:56 AM

Yes, 71 and 72 Supremes (HT and convertible) were the only ones that got the lettering.

If you really want the letters, I suggest you find a good condition deck lid that is drilled for them. I bought a 4 door deck lid for my convertible back in 1990 and it does not have the letters. I considered drilling the holes to mount them, but after looking at the 20 holes and how they would need to be perfectly aligned for the letters to be straight, I decided against it. I made a template off the old deck lid by taping some butcher paper and doing a pencil rubbing, but even with that I don't think I would be able to get the letters perfectly aligned.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:04 AM

I don't think I would be able to get the letters perfectly aligned.[/QUOTE]

That is the dilemma I am having.
Old July 17th, 2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by AJFink
I don't think I would be able to get the letters perfectly aligned.
That is the dilemma I am having.[/QUOTE]

It's also well known that a couple letters on the reproduction lettering sets have posts that are not in the same alignments as the originals.

You asked about stick-on 3D letters. I'd buy a repro set, dremel/grind off the posts, and then use adhesive tape or similar to mount them. Seems like people do it with W-30 and 442 emblems all the time. I'm certain that the Scat Pack bees on the fenders of my newer Challenger are mounted that way too.

Terry
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, the 71/72 were the ones with the OLDSMOBILE letters. A suggestion for you if you're worried about piercing the deck lid, which is necessary to install the barrel clip retainers, you can remove the posts from the back of the letters and attach them with double sided automotive trim tape. That way, no piercing and easy to line up as well. If you don't like the look, take them off and polish. Bob's your uncle.
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Need OLDSMOBILE letter for truck lid (actually need M & O)

Originally Posted by AJFink
I have bought a 70's trunk lid and kinda like the clean look of no letters but torn with back to stock or clean. Without the letters there is no risk of leaks which these rusted out first due to the letters. But this car will hardly see the out doors as its main storage. I remember trying to wax around these little SOB's and those of you that have them know. So?

Was 71 and 72 the only years?
Have there been any others that have left them off?
Will leaving them off take away from its originality and value that much?
Curious what you decided on your trunk lid. The clean look does look good. Writing you to see if had decided as I am in
need of couple letters (M & O) for 1972 and would be interested in buying your if available. Have not been on here in several
years and my email has changed. You can reach me at pdpm767@aol.com. Thanks Phillip
Old January 7th, 2019, 07:13 AM

I am going to keep all the letters, as well as all the OEM stuff that was removed for now.
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:09 AM

FYI I was faced with the same decision when I bought my 72 Supreme. It is void of all badges, logos and side trim. I only have the "Oldsmobile" script on the grille and the "Cutlass Supreme" on the glove box. I decided to leave it as is for two reasons:. I like the clean look and I didn't want to have to worry about rust.
Here are a few pics:

Old January 7th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Very nicely done!