General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

choke tube question

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2018, 08:39 AM

choke tube question

I am missing the longer tube. I see that it is a pressure fit into the choke stove on one end, What or where does the other end connect to?
engine is a 455 with Quadrajet-7041253carb
Thanks Ben...
Old March 16th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

The other end of the long tube connects to a port at the top rear of the carb air horn, just below the air cleaner flange. All this does is provide a filtered air source, since this air eventually gets sucked into the engine after heating the choke coil. A short piece of hose (about 1" long) couples the tube to the carb port.

Old March 16th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Thanks Joe, I should have also included the following in my first post:

I have this dual snorkel air cleaner on the engine, previous to the engine rebuild the two hoses were connected to the rear of the carb. Is that the correct connection or do they go elsewhere?

Old March 16th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ben442
Thanks Joe, I should have also included the following in my first post:

I have this dual snorkel air cleaner on the engine, previous to the engine rebuild the two hoses were connected to the rear of the carb. Is that the correct connection or do they go elsewhere?

The two hoses in that photo should be tee'd together and connected to a manifold vacuum port (any port that sees full manifold vac is fine). The unconnected port from the sensor on the bottom of the air cleaner should have a hose that runs to the actuator on the long snorkel.
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:23 AM

FANTASTIC, Thank You JOE P
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The two hoses in that photo should be tee'd together and connected to a manifold vacuum port (any port that sees full manifold vac is fine). The unconnected port from the sensor on the bottom of the air cleaner should have a hose that runs to the actuator on the long snorkel.
Shouldn't the two actuators on each of the snorkels be "T'd" together, then from the "T" to one side of the temp sensor, then the other side of that sensor gets connected to manifold vacuum? Seems the way you described these connections, one of the actuators would get full manifold vacuum at all times while the other actuator gets "switched" manifold vacuum. Both actuators should get the same "switched" vacuum in order to work in tandem to pull warm air from the exhaust when cold, and open up when warm.
Old March 17th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Shouldn't the two actuators on each of the snorkels be "T'd" together, then from the "T" to one side of the temp sensor, then the other side of that sensor gets connected to manifold vacuum?
No. The flapper in the long snorkel is the normal one for the thermostatic air cleaner system. It is normally open but held closed by manifold vacuum so that the air cleaner draws heated air from the hot air stove around the exhaust manifold. It is plumbed to the temp sensor inside the air cleaner such that once the air is warmed up, the sensor shuts off the vacuum source and the flapper springs open allowing unheated outside air to be drawn in. In addition, when vacuum goes to zero (at wide open throttle), the flapper also springs open so as not to act as a restriction.

The flapper in the short snorkel is also normally open and held closed with manifold vacuum. Holding it closed both allows the thermostatic air cleaner system to work and lowers inlet noise at low speeds when the engine warms up. The second snorkel is only intended to open at wide open throttle to provide more airflow (you don't need it at other times) and since it is connected directly to manifold vacuum, it also springs open when vacuum goes to zero at W.O.T.

Having the second snorkel open earlier serves no purpose other than to increase inlet noise at part throttle. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to connect the hoses as you describe, just don't expect any performance increase by doing it. The second snorkel opens automatically when the engine requires that additional airflow.