General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aftermarket Fog light issue

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Chris

Aftermarket Fog light issue

Hello. I have installed an aftermarket fog light kit in my 2009 Nissan Xterra. I have installed everything except for the power wire to the switch which is supposed to be connected to the ignition wire but I really don't want to splice into the factory wiring. The fog lights don't work without this wire connected to a power source. If I connect this power lead directly to the battery the fog lights work fine and the backlight of the switch lights up but stays on even after the switch is turned off and the key is taken out of the ignition. Obviously this is not an option as it would drain the battery. How would I allow this to work properly with the backlight going off when I remove the key or turn the off the switch? ? Can I place this power wire in the fuse of the "illumination" slot or would that only allow the fog lights to come on if I turned the headlights on? I'd want the fog lights to come on by themselves. I figure I could wire in a switch immediately before the fog light switch (if I wired the switch directly to the battery) but then I'd have to remember to turn off that switch. How can I properly do this without splicing into the ignition wire? Any other fuses or relays I can tap into to make this work properly? Thanks so much!
Chris
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Administrator

If you can't make the switch indicator light work only when the switch is on, you can change the switch to one without an indicator light or you can run fog light switch off the IGN terminal in your fuse block and have it trigger a relay to power the fog light circuit.
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Chris

Eric thank you for your reply. How Exactly do I connect to the ignition fuse block? Do I take the fuse out and wrap the wire around it? Actually if I recall it might be a relay in the block and not a simple fuse. Would it matter either way? Can I still Wrap the wire around the relay and reinstall if that's what it is? There is a relay between the battery and the fog lights but would that relay be sufficient? Thanks!
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Chris

I have attached photos of my fuse block diagram. Which one would you attach the switch power wire to?
thanks!
chris
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:02 PM

You simply have the power connected to the wrong side of the N/O contact. It is powering the lite constantly. You want it so the switch lite is only on when the fog lite are on.
Old October 8th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Administrator

You have a fuse in there marked fog lights, is there a fuse in the slot? My brain went back to an old Olds fuse block, sorry for the IGN reference.
Old October 8th, 2017, 04:52 AM
Chris

Thanks guys. There is a fuse in the fog light slot. However the original fog lights would have been run off of the stalk which I don't have. Does that matter or can I still use this fuse regardless? I guess power would be flowing through that fuse whether or not the optional stalk switch existed.
chris

Last edited by Oldssupreme; October 8th, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Chris

And Mike, what is the N/O contact?
Thanks!

Last edited by Oldssupreme; October 8th, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
Thanks guys. There is a fuse in the fog light slot. However the original fog lights would have been run off of the stalk which I don't have. Does that matter or can I still use this fuse regardless? I guess power would be flowing through that fuse whether or not the optional stalk switch existed.
chris
I would assume so, there would also be a wire under the dash thats powered by it.

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
And Mike, what is the N/O contact?
Thanks!
N/O = normally open
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Chris

Ok. So I'm still having issues. I tried using a fuse tap and tapped into the radio fuse, the heated mirror fuse, and several others which turn off with the key and the backlight would still not turn off. The fog lights work, but Just the backlight issue. I have not tried the ignition fuse although I'm not sure that would make a difference. Thoughts? Can I get into this switch to remove the light bulb or are they sealed? Thanks guys!
chris
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Can you post a picture of your switch, front and back?
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Is it front or rear fog lights you want to fit?.
Most markets where Nissans sell rear fog lights are mandatory. It could be the wiring is all there, just needing a switch and rearlight cluster.

Roger.
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:18 AM
Chris

These are the front fog lights in the bumper. I just don't understand why, if I am tapping into a circuit that normally goes off when the key is out, why is my switch backlight still on even if the original accessory is off?
My cutlass is much easier to figure out lol.
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:57 PM
Chris

Originally Posted by Mike77
You simply have the power connected to the wrong side of the N/O contact. It is powering the lite constantly. You want it so the switch lite is only on when the fog lite are on.
Mike, I looked at your post again and if I post a pic of the switch wiring would you be able to explain how I can wire it so that he switch light is only on when the fog lights are on? There are two lights in the switch. One is on only when the lights are on and the other backlights the whole switch. And what contact is the "normally open" contact? Are you referering to the switch?
Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Yes, post a pic of the wiring diagram. A pic of the switch may help also.