General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best Way to Remove Metal Clips from Arm Rest Chrome Base to Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2017, 01:40 PM

Best Way to Remove Metal Clips from Arm Rest Chrome Base to Door Panel

It looks like these clips might be one-way only, but I need to get them off without breaking the plastic tabs. Do I have to cut the metal clip to get them off or can I save both parts?

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ArmRestClip.jpg (1.46 MB, 39 views)
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:20 PM
Randy C.

I've removed the clips without breaking the plastic posts but it is a royal pain. What I did for both my '68 and '69 was cut the clips off (which ruins them) in such a way that the plastic posts were not compromised. The way I hold the arm rest backing plate to the door panel is file a little notch on each fore and aft side of the plastic post, put a paper clip on it and twist the paper clip to vertical. That does well enough until the arm rest goes back on and the screws for the arm rest also hold the backing plate into position.

Randy C.
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM

Thanks Randy

I forgot that they don't have to hold anything once the arm rests are back on. So, you'd agree that there's no practical way to take the metal spring clips off without cutting them?....
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:35 PM
Randy C.

Well, I have actually worked them off a few times without breaking the plastic tab, but most of the time the tab broke. When I restored both my '68 and '69, I contemplated putting those fasteners back on again (I have some intact extras) but I decided against it because, if I ever had to take them off again, it would be next to impossible. So I went with the filing a small notch in each side of the tab and twisting the paper clip so that, when the paper clip is vertical, both sides of the paper clip fit into the small notches on each side of the tab, and hold the backing plate onto the door panel well enough until I attach the arm rest.

Randy C.