General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Power antenna repair

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2016, 02:43 PM

Power antenna repair

I have finally decide to repair my power antenna on my 1979 HO , I have the part and have read the manual. Is this job as difficult as it looks or does anyone have any tips.
Old September 8th, 2016, 08:23 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Since nobody has responded Ill take a shot. Some general advice here...Once installed keep the telescoping sections lubed with WD40 every so often. Make sure you have the ground connection and radio lead clean and tight. If a tool is required to remove the escutcheon on the fender get it or you will damage it. Might consider pulling the wheel well out and or the fender for ease of access. If you do so mark it well so it goes back together in the same place. If you do remove body panels, apply painters masking tape to the body panel gaps to avoid scratching when removing and installing said panels(hood, header, door, fender etc...) Not a bad idea to tape the escutcheon area too.
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks for reply. So it seems i have to remove alot of items to gain access to replace part. I was afraid of this. I will start this weekend and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed, I do not do more damage.
Old September 9th, 2016, 05:56 AM

You shouldn't have to remove any body panels. If it's in the back you just remove the paneling in the trunk to access it. If it's in the front just lift the car, remove the wheel, remove the inner fender well and there it is.

BTW, sorry you have to drive that GMC truck. I'm sure you could find a good deal on a Powerstroke if you look hard enough.

Last edited by Olds64; September 9th, 2016 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Oops!
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:41 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If the car is nice and you dont want to take off paint...put electrical tape in the sockets to cushion the bolt heads. Milk jug plastic between open-ends can be successful too, if the fender needs to come off. Id certainly try wheel well removal approach first as we've suggested. Google it and get a manual for the car. This could be covered in an assembly manual. There could be a straight forward procedure for R&R of the antenna.
A 79 HO should have a front passenger antenna.
Old September 11th, 2016, 07:23 PM

I wrote this for an '84 Toronado, should be similar.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-antenna.html