General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New to Oldsmobiles and new to the site!

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Steeb

New to Oldsmobiles and new to the site!

Hello all! Just got my first olds, a 56 Ninety Eight four door sedan. Picked it up on Sunday. I've had plenty of old cars, but never an Olds, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Anyway, nice to be here!

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboad

I don't know who put coldwar on the welcoming committee. Geez Louise. What a mug?
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Steeb

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Anyone know why I can post in any other section except here???

I have an engine question, and when I try to post it I see the following...

"Steeb, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. [*]

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM

This site used to get tons of spam so me made it where anyone new has to post 5 times before they are allowed on. Just keep yacking here for a while or ask your question here. Most of the mods watch this thread to delete spamers
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Steeb

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This site used to get tons of spam so me made it where anyone new has to post 5 times before they are allowed on. Just keep yacking here for a while or ask your question here. Most of the mods watch this thread to delete spamers
Ahhh... I get it.

Okay, well here is a pic of my new ride...

DSC_0027.jpg

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Sweet

Very nice did you do all of the work?

Tell us a story
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Steeb

And now my first tech question....

The car has a stock 324 4bbl with hydramatic trans. 70K original miles. Engine runs okay, and starts right up. I took it for a little trip on Sunday, and here were some observations...

A loud rattling noise coming from the front of the engine. I sounds like something is banging or clanking around. It isn't consistant with engine RPMs, so I don't think it's a lifter. It definitely does sound like it's coming from the front. I suspected maybe the water pump, but the shaft is tight- there is no play. Any ideas???

Also, when ideling there is A LOT of smoke coming out of the oil filler tube. I'm assuming that the enigine is old and tired, and that the rigs are just worn. I'm wondering though, is a certain amount of blowby normal for these Olds Rockets? Did they come with a PCV? I haven't done a compression tests, but it runs and accelerates pretty good- unlike other cars I've driven with low compression problems. Also the smoke will literally make you choke. It smells like it's running too rich, but again, acceleration is good.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Steeb

Very nice did you do all of the work?

Tell us a story
No, it belonged to a fellow car club member. He is an amazing artist. He did the whole car with rattle-can. The man definitely has an artistic eye. I fell in love with that car the first time I laid eyes on it.

I traded him even up for my 52 Chevy Hardtop.

Here's another pic...

DSC_0018.jpg

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

As far as the blow by, check for vacuum lines to the fuel pump, and what they read on a vacuum gauge. Post your numbers up here. I've never had one of those motors, but I believe strong fuel pump vacuum plays an important role.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Oldsguy [Dan ] is in MO He usually checks in during lunch. I'll be ya he'll read you post in 2 min.

If it's not a 69 I am sorry, I'm not much help.

But it's a cool Olds, Where are you located?
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Steeb

Oldsguy [Dan ] is in MO He usually checks in during lunch. I'll be ya he'll read you post in 2 min.

If it's not a 69 I am sorry, I'm not much help.

But it's a cool Olds, Where are you located?
Delaware, but I hang out mostly in Jersey.

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Steeb

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
As far as the blow by, check for vacuum lines to the fuel pump, and what they read on a vacuum gauge. Post your numbers up here. I've never had one of those motors, but I believe strong fuel pump vacuum plays an important role.
Speaking of vaccuum lines...

Does anyone have a diagram that shows the vacuum line routing, or anything related to the wiper motor? My wipers don't work, and I need to get them working for inspection. The cam isn't siezed, and the cables are connected properly. If I reach under the dash I can easily turn the cam by hand and the wipers move freely. The pull cable from the switch is hooked up, but I don't know if it's hooked up right. There are two vaccuum ports on the wiper motor, and neither are connected to anything. Basically I need to know what vacuum lines connect to which port on the wiper motor.

There is a vacuum line on the fuel pump, but it goes the the carb from what I can tell.

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Past Administrator

Steeb,
Welcome to our site. First about your car, I LIKE! That artist friend of yours is good, those are very well done scallops. Second, rattling sound could be a loose heat shield for the carb heat riser, or for exhaust manifold heat shield or something like that. Third, the wiper motor needs the vacuum (as you deduced) and I think on the 324 engine it was from the fuel pump. As I recall, on side of the diaphram pumped fuel, the other produced vacuum. But don't quote me on that. We have quite a few members here with knowledge of the first gen Olds V8s. Joe_padavano, and 88coupe are two I think of right away. You may get info from them.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Welcome to the site, cool car, I have a 57 and us 50's guys have to stick together. I'll check my Olds shop book I know it has the vaccum routing and I think yours is similar and let you know tomorrow.
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Hello All, I'm glad to have found this Forum. I intend to give back as much as I take in sharing Information on this Forum. Im an old geezer that's been a hobby mechanic all my life. My mechanic days started in 1953 when I bought my 1st car for $20. A 1937 Ford V-8 60 4 dr Sedan. I had to downshift to 2nd gear for a mild grade. I bought a Red '57 Olds Convertible in 1957 when I was a young man. I'm now restoring one to try to recapture some of that old excitment. I'll be talking with you. Mike
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by Steeb
........ a diagram that shows the vacuum line routing ........
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post40025

Norm
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM

welcome....I'm working on my own 56 Ninety Eight....identical car...just in a few more pieces right nowSeeing yours gives me some nice motivation...thanks
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Steeb

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Thank you sir!

Mine does not have that junction block behind the carb. My fule pump goes to there and thats it. I'm gonna add a junction block like that tonight when I get home.

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Steeb

Could any of you guys with mid 50's Olds please desrcibe for me how you're vacuum lines are routed to your windshield wiper motor?

Mine is disconnected, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook it up. There are two vacuum ports, one in the middle and one off to the passenger side. Neither are connected to anything.

On my wiper switch, there is a cable and two hose connections. One of the hoses goes through the firewall and is just hanging there. The other hose goes up under the dash all the way over to the passenger side, and I can't trace it any farther, so I don't know where it goes.

So if someone could just tell me what vacuum line goes where on the wiper motor, that would be great. Thanks!

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
2Blue 55

Steeb.... lemme know any pics u need any diagrams etc.... I'm droppin my motor in soon and i can scan 55 manual for you lemme know my email is oldsmobileman@hotmail.com