First post: Hey and here's a few pics of my '67 Cutlass and former Oldsmobiles

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM

First post: Hey and here's a few pics of my '67 Cutlass and former Oldsmobiles

I am new to this forum but look forward to being a long standing member as I am a die hard fan of Oldsmobiles and Chevy's. My current ride is a '67 Cutlass convertible. I am in the middle of doing a mild restoration on it as well as several modifications. I'm not looking for resale value or whatever anyone else thinks it should be. I'm building it the way I want it. With that said it is getting a stroker 383 Chevy and 700r4 transmission. Car had a 330/Jetaway. I have owned several Cutlass's over the years, my last '67 Coupe had a '70 455 but this time I decided to go the easy route. Anyway here are some pictures of my current ragtop in progression and some of my older Oldsmobiles:

BACK IN '97 I BUILT THIS '67 CUTLASS COUPE WITH A 461 OLDS:
67passengerside.jpg

67s455.jpg

67interior.jpg

PICS OF MY '66 AND '67, BOTH HAD '70 455 MOTORS, THE '67 WAS MODDED THOUGH:
67and66res.jpg

SOME PICS OF MY '84 CUTLASS V-6 WHICH I SWAPPED FOR A 355 CHEVY:

84Olds2sideandback.jpg

84interior2.jpg

84cutlassmotor2.jpg

MY CURRENT '67 CUTLASS CONVERTIBLE WHICH IS UNDERGOING A MILD RESTORATION AND A WHOLE LOT OF MODIFICATIONS:

Carrsidefront.jpg

CarRtopdown.jpg

18" WHEELS:
PB210204.jpg

CAR DURING PARTIAL TEARDOWN FOR BODY/PAINT WORK:

PB271149.jpg

PB261142-1.jpg

NEW 383 CHEVY/700R4 GOING IN SOON, 330/JETAWAY IN BACK:
PB211124.jpg

CAR UNDER CONSTRUCTION: COLOR CHANGE, WILL BE DARK SHADOW GREY METALLIC (Ford color):
PC011198.jpg

PC011202.jpg

PC011200.jpg
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM

Welcome to the site ,new here myself. What issues ,if any, with installing a chevy engine in an Olds?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM

Why don't you just buy a chebby and leave the OLDS along?
Why does so many want a chebby in there OLDS?
Gene
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Getting There

Welcome to the site Destroyer

your 67 hardtop is sweet what paint did you use on that?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM

Nice rides your gonna get a lot of heat for the chevy in the olds here. I like the 67 very nice. Welcome to the site.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM

welcome...nice rides...you will find a fair amount of people who dont like putting a chevy motor in your olds.me i dont care...make it how you want it!!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Ben

Welcome, Nice looking car (s)

Ignore the guys whining about the engine swap. Their still mad their ebay bid for NOS tire air got sniped.

All anyone will see from the outside is a cool Olds rolling down the road. :thumbsup:
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Why don't you just buy a chebby and leave the OLDS along?
Why does so many want a chebby in there OLDS?
Gene
Why? The Oldsmobiles are much better looking. I'm not doing anything to the car that isn't reversible later on.
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Welcome, Nice looking car (s)

Ignore the guys whining about the engine swap. Their still mad their ebay bid for NOS tire air got sniped.

All anyone will see from the outside is a cool Olds rolling down the road. :thumbsup:
LMAO. I was the same way when I had my first '67 (burgandy-wine coupe in pics). That car had the stock 330/Jetaway in it too. I built up a '70 455/TH400 for it. I loved it but building the Olds motor was very expensive and the car was front heavy with the big block. Using an Olds motor is definitely cooler, I wish I had the resources to build up the 330.

Using a Chevy makes sense for someone who doesn't want to spend a fortune to go fast. With all the aftermarket support and general parts availability, I couldn't ignore the Chevy. Everywhere I drive the 'vert I get thumbs up, what is under the hood isn't going to change that.
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ranzan
Welcome to the site Destroyer

your 67 hardtop is sweet what paint did you use on that?
I don't have that car anymore as I sold it back in 2000. Paint was House of Colors Candy Burgandy-wine. Loved that color.
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by 68vaolds
Welcome to the site ,new here myself. What issues ,if any, with installing a chevy engine in an Olds?
The motor isn't in yet but it should be pretty straight forward. It just a matter of getting '67 Chevelle motor mounts really which are readily available at any parts store for under $15. Starter is on the passenger side with the Chevy, no big hurdles to overcome.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the site! Nice car! Please use the Non-Olds forum for discussing your engine swap. In the past there have been some very heated discussions reguarding swapping other makes of engines into these cars. The Non-Olds forum has been created to share information swapping other engines. There will be no flaming allowed on this new forum, no arguments of what a person should or should not do with their car. But a place to share information with others on how to get past difficuties during engine swaps.

To some, swapping a Chevy motor into an Oldsmobile would be like putting a Ford motor into a vintage Corvette. To reduce the friction between members and serve more enthusiasts the Moderators have decided to create this new forum. Please address any questions about it to myself or one of the other moderators. John
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Getting There

Destoyer I belive your old 67 was for sale a couple of years back

I will putting HOK brandywine over black on my car when the time comes
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM
car guy

Welcome to the site. Looks like you have have had some really nice cars past and present. I am partial to the 66/67 body myself.

As you are already finding out above there are many people passionate about keeping all Olds cars Olds powered. These discussions always lead down hill and bring member against member. As of last night there is a place to post about engine swaps. You are welcome to post your build and any thing else about your car anywhere on the site but please keep the SBC part of your build in this section.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/non-olds-powered/
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Welcome to the site! Nice car! Please use the Non-Olds forum for discussing your engine swap. In the past there have been some very heated discussions reguarding swapping other makes of engines into these cars. The Non-Olds forum has been created to share information swapping other engines. There will be no flaming allowed on this new forum, no arguments of what a person should or should not do with their car. But a place to share information with others on how to get past difficuties during engine swaps.

To some, swapping a Chevy motor into an Oldsmobile would be like putting a Ford motor into a vintage Corvette. To reduce the friction between members and serve more enthusiasts the Moderators have decided to create this new forum. Please address any questions about it to myself or one of the other moderators. John
So my Cutlass isn't an Olds anymore?
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Welcome to the site. Looks like you have have had some really nice cars past and present. I am partial to the 66/67 body myself.

As you are already finding out above there are many people passionate about keeping all Olds cars Olds powered. These discussions always lead down hill and bring member against member. As of last night there is a place to post about engine swaps. You are welcome to post your build and any thing else about your car anywhere on the site but please keep the SBC part of your build in this section.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/non-olds/
I don't understand this flaming thing but it's ok.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ranzan
Destoyer I belive your old 67 was for sale a couple of years back

I will putting HOK brandywine over black on my car when the time comes
Yeah? I would have loved to have bought it back. I sold it to someone in California and regretted getting rid of it. Lots of work, time and money went into it. That car was a cream/butter yellow color with gold roof and a yellow(ish) interior when I got it. I absolutely needed to sell it at the time (quickly) for a real estate investment. It was a reluctant but necessary sacrifice and it changed my life forever (money-wise). Where was it advertised? From time to time I look on Ebay to see if it is there.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Welcome to the site! Nice car! Please use the Non-Olds forum for discussing your engine swap.
My car is registered and insured as an Oldsmobile regardless of what is under the hood. What am I supposed to do? Join a Chevelle forum?

To some, swapping a Chevy motor into an Oldsmobile would be like putting a Ford motor into a vintage Corvette.
Maybe you should start ignoring those members and tell them it's not right to be so damn ****. My car is a classic Oldsmobile but lets face it, the monetary value is not much. If it was a 442 I would understand but it is a Cutlass (which I will clone to look like a 442). To me a Cutlass like mine is a blank canvas waiting for modifications. I will build my car, I will enjoy my car and I will modify my Chevy motor even more. I love Oldsmobile motors but simply don't have the patience, time or extra cash to build one.

IF ANYONE HERE WANTS TO DONATE A STRONG 455 OLDS MOTOR AND A TRANS FOR MY CAR I'LL INSTALL THAT INSTEAD OF THE SBC/700R4. IF YOU DONT, ****!

Last edited by 2blu442; December 5th, 2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Removed vulgarity
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM

Destroyer67,
We're trying to provide a forum for everyone. Your reply is an example of flaming someone. Being rude because you disagree with them. Please don't. Your welcome to discuss your car here and the engine swap to a Chevy motor in the Non-Olds section. If you have a problem with that then send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll discuss it there. John
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM

Welcome & nice rides!!!!!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Destroyer67,
We're trying to provide a forum for everyone. Your reply is an example of flaming someone. Being rude because you disagree with them. Please don't. Your welcome to discuss your car here and the engine swap to a Chevy motor in the Non-Olds section. If you have a problem with that then send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll discuss it there. John
I have no need to talk about the Chevy motor I'm putting in the car any further. I'm a newbie and was just sharing pics of my car. I wasn't expecting all of this and am baffled by it honestly. As the car progresses I'll post in the Non-Olds section.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:31 AM

I know you said you were not looking for any ones opinions so I will state this as If it was my project I would painting it either Olds gold OR Green and get some of those retro olds valve covers some of the street rod guys put on there sbc. with a nice olds air cleaner I think it would blend in nice . How hot is the sbgm . Where are you from?

Last edited by firefrost gold; December 5th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Destroyer67
I have no need to talk about the Chevy motor I'm putting in the car any further. I'm a newbie and was just sharing pics of my car. I wasn't expecting all of this and am baffled by it honestly. As the car progresses I'll post in the Non-Olds section.
You don't have to post in the non Olds section just if you are posting about the motor. There are a lot of guys on here and the other Olds sites that are Olds guys to thier very core and it seems to personally offend them when they see an OTO motor in an Olds. Its not just here its the other Olds message boards too. I can't honestly say I fully understand it either but I am a car guy first and like lots of different cars.

Unlike other sites that will completely run you off the mods have created the new section as a "safe zone" You are welcome to post away about the motor there.

Try not to take it personally. Just think of it as it just the catagory it belongs in.
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM

You don't have to post in the non Olds section just if you are posting about the motor. There are a lot of guys on here and the other Olds sites that are Olds guys to thier very core and it seems to personally offend them when they see an OTO motor in an Olds. Its not just here its the other Olds message boards too. I can't honestly say I fully understand it either but I am a car guy first and like lots of different cars.
I regularly posted on 442.com back in the '90's when I had my previous '67. The hatred for anything non Olds under the hood is something I forgot about but it was rarely brought up. Didn't understand it then or now but I'm a car guy as well having owned well over 150 cars up to this point. I owned many cars from many makes and to be honest I don't care what motor is in what car. If it goes good, handles/brakes good and looks good, it's all I care about. I have always been a fan of Oldsmobiles and I like Oldsmobile engines. I'm installing non Olds brakes and suspension components next. Is this a problem? LOL
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Guess not... but you do have to answer to the Olds god when your time comes.
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Destroyer67
I'm installing non Olds brakes and suspension components next. Is this a problem? LOL
If it is I am in trouble too. Click on my 66 link to see why
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM

If it is I am in trouble too. Click on my 66 link to see why
Sweet ride man. I like what you have done. How is the 330 with a 6 speed? I absolutely hated my Jetaway transmission. I remember when I first got my previous '66 and '67. The 330 with a TH350 behind it and headers/dual exhaust with Flowmasters was actually fairly quick and that small block liked to rev. I imagine with the 6 speed it would move out well. I'm sticking with an automatic in mine though as it is more consistent and I have this bad tendency of missing 3rd gear.

That is one hell of a build-up. At this stage in my buildup I should do a frame off as well but I'm not sure it is necessary unless I plan on making it a show car(which I really don't). I do need to change the frame mounts, rear end and I'll be doing a disc brake conversion. I like what you did with the C6 brakes but I'll be doing a more conventional disc brake setup (ebay,lol).

What suspension are you using? On by black '66 I did a Hotchkis suspension with the front/rear sway bars and poly bushings. Handled like a Vette but the suspension was real rough and did not give a good ride. This time I'm gonna do a stock front end build with lowering springs and use the Hotchkis sway bars. Once again, nice ride!
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
car guy

I ordered most of the suspension stuff from Marcus at SC&C. The car would ride like a modern sports sedan. Slightly firm but but very comfortable. It handled incredible for a big boat and stopped just as well.
Damn I miss it

Anyway here is a quick rundown
Eibach springs
Howe tall ball joints
SPC front upper control arms
Bilstein shocks
Currietrac rear control arms
stock GTO front swaybar
aftermarket no name 1" rear bar
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
I know you said you were not looking for any ones opinions so I will state this as If it was my project I would painting it either Olds gold OR Green and get some of those retro olds valve covers some of the street rod guys put on there sbc. with a nice olds air cleaner I think it would blend in nice . How hot is the sbgm . Where are you from?
Wow, I spit my drink up at this. I love you man. Great ideas but you know what? Nobody has EVER asked me to pop my hood. I can lie and tell everyone it has a 330 Olds.
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Well it finally got painted. I only stuck around till the 1st base coat was put on but you get the idea. After the clear coat is done it will be wet sanded tomorrow.

PC111359.jpg

PC111359.jpg

PC111364.jpg

PC111365.jpg

PC111369.jpg

PC111370.jpg

PC111371.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PC111359.jpg (106.4 KB, 0 views)
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ben

Looking great! What color is that?

Looks very similar to the color i had my last elcamino painted...
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Looking great! What color is that?

Looks very similar to the color i had my last elcamino painted...
The color is called "Dark Shadow Gray" and it is a Ford color. I recently sold a Vortech supercharged '04 Mach 1 Mustang with the same factory color. I loved the color and decided to paint my Cutlass the same color. Here's a few pics of my former Mach 1:

DSC05643.jpg

DSC05645.jpg

DSC05646.jpg

DSC05654.jpg
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Getting There

Nice color should look slick with the chrome
Old December 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Well here it is painted. Car will be wet sanded hopefully in a few days. There are several runs in the paint and I'm not happy about that but my paint guys said they will fix it. The spray booth was not heated and the temperature was around 55 degrees in the booth (not good). The color goes well with the car, I am happy about that.

IMG_20101212_104852.jpg

IMG_20101212_104543.jpg

IMG_20101212_104522.jpg
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Very nice looking Oldsmobile's, and welcome to CO! I knew that Richard (Gearhead) would chime in pretty quickly. Know he is sorry that red one he had is gone to California; I just hope he does another one, and quickly! Running gear on that car is fantastic! A lot of innovation, as seems to in yours!
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Very nice looking Oldsmobile's, and welcome to CO! I knew that Richard (Gearhead) would chime in pretty quickly. Know he is sorry that red one he had is gone to California; I just hope he does another one, and quickly! Running gear on that car is fantastic! A lot of innovation, as seems to in yours!
Hello to you as well and thank you for the comments. Nice bunch of guys in here, some a little old school but others like Richard are open to the notion of building a "better" car with stuff that is readily available and easy to install.

With all that said, I'd like to see more of that wagon!!! I love those!!!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
Past Administrator

I really like that color on your car. Will the top be white?

btw, glad you have tuff skin.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I really like that color on your car. Will the top be white?

btw, glad you have tuff skin.
Hey Dan. The top is in really good shape so it will remain white for now. Honestly, this is my cruiser/beach car and the top has been up maybe twice since I've owned it. Eventually it will get a black canvas top but not yet.

Quick Reply: First post: Hey and here's a few pics of my '67 Cutlass and former Oldsmobiles