General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2018 Oldsmobile nationals

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2018, 05:36 PM

Rain PFFFFFFF !

I haven't been to an OCA meet since Sturbridge ! IT RAINED...……. and Seven Springs IT RAINED...….. I attend Hershey every year except last year ! Our favorite saying there is..... It's not Hershey if it's not raining ! Bring a poncho Swim suit and flip flops and carry on ! The only thing that sucks is driving in it without a defogger in a convertible, no drip rails ! I'm in construction here in eastern PA and have been out in this humid rainy crap for three weeks. Needless to say I'm looking forward to some R&R with all me fellow Oldsmobros ! And hopefully the weather will allow some top down time since my car really shines that way. The other frustrating issue is I do not have a garage to keep my baby safe and dry in so detailing time has been very limited. luckily I keep it well detailed since I try to do a show every weekend as much as possible ! I'll be in the modified class and floating around from Wednesday till Sunday since I will be assisting the Blue Grey chapter closing down the show. Just look for the grey haired guy with the camera attached to his face wearing the OCD ( Obsessive Classic Car Disorder ) T shirt on ! It will probably be me. Or leave me a message at my car ! I'll leave a guest sign in book there ! Leave contact info and a comment !
The 72 Cutty !

The culprit ! With OCD !

Last edited by ragtopblue; July 27th, 2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: additional information
Old July 27th, 2018, 08:41 PM
ph_ckstick1

Where did you get that tee, if I may ask?^^^
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:20 PM

OCD T shirt

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
Where did you get that tee, if I may ask?^^^
Midnightleadfoot,
Hi I found it on Ebay but is was about two years ago. But I am actually designing one that will be Cutlass/442 specific ! Pricing will be about $20 for cotton T's and $25 for Underarmor T's. If I can generate enough interest in them. I was hoping to have some made before the OCA but being self employed I just haven't had the time to put it together. Plus there might have been some legality issue selling them there without a vendors license.
Old July 28th, 2018, 04:37 AM

No doubt it will rain some, but it will still be a great time. I spent most the day cleaning the vert up, doing little things that it needed, and waxed it. So for sure it will get rained on, that's ok.
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Joe regarding your reference to people complaining not enough people went to Albuquerque. We went and had a blast. I found a ton of parts at the swap meet and the whole trip was super fun. I met a ton of other Olds guys and am in touch with many of them on a regular basis. To me there were no disappointments at Albuquerque whatsoever other than it having a smaller swap meet. Stop worrying about the weather and attend the show. It will be lots of fun for sure! I think of the number of holidays I’ve gone on and the weather forecast has been iffy and often was the case where it all turned around in the end anyways. Al
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OldsAl
Stop worrying about the weather and attend the show. It will be lots of fun for sure!
Exactly my point!
Old July 28th, 2018, 08:01 AM

cleaning the Vert !

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
No doubt it will rain some, but it will still be a great time. I spent most the day cleaning the vert up, doing little things that it needed, and waxed it. So for sure it will get rained on, that's ok.
Greg, Beautiful car ! What class are you in I will be sure to stop by !
Tony

Old July 28th, 2018, 08:45 AM

The Nationals sites are chosen 1+ years in advance, and weather predictions are iffy. However, if in the east there is about a 50% chance of rain. Most members live in the northeast section of the country.

Last edited by Run to Rund; July 28th, 2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:05 PM

Thanks Tony, I don't know what class it will be in, I don't think I'll have it judged just because I'm not in to that. But I hope to meet you also. Are you going to the CO get together? Greg
Old July 28th, 2018, 08:12 PM
ph_ckstick1

Joe regarding your reference to people complaining not enough people went to Albuquerque. We went and had a blast. I found a ton of parts at the swap meet and the whole trip was super fun. I met a ton of other Olds guys and am in touch with many of them on a regular basis. To me there were no disappointments at Albuquerque whatsoever other than it having a smaller swap meet. Stop worrying about the weather and attend the show. It will be lots of fun for sure! I think of the number of holidays I’ve gone on and the weather forecast has been iffy and often was the case where it all turned around in the end anyways. Al
I'd rather if there was still heavy rain and down pours and flooding, and it keep people away than reading here of a bunch of olds getting stuck in the flood.
Seems old Joe, thinks everyone gets scottie to beam them up to the nationals, So the flooding being 20 minutes that way and 30 minutes the other from the local, doesn't phase him.
Asked a simple question, and got hammered for it. Maybe Joe love for more olds to get totaled as that bring up the worth of the ones left. Don't know, but I am sure sorry for giving a __________ about others pride and joy. The reply was sad, and condescending.
Old July 28th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Is there a CO get together? Al
Old July 28th, 2018, 08:41 PM

Give Joe a shot if you wish but you just quoted me. Sorry if my enthusiasm is bringing you down. Al
Old July 28th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Is there a CO get together? Al
Thursday 2:00-5:00 at the Wyndham.
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Anyone know where I can get a map of where everything is at the nationals?
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Platinum69
Anyone know where I can get a map of where everything is at the nationals?
Are you asking about a map of which classes are where on the showfield, or a map of attractions in the local area?
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Are you asking about a map of which classes are where on the showfield, or a map of attractions in the local area?
Sorry, more specifically swap meet and showfield. Thanks
Old July 30th, 2018, 07:14 AM

This is the best I can do with a map. I've got a better one, jpeg, but not on this computer...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
img003.pdf (730.3 KB, 29 views)
Old July 30th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Well -- The Ramrod had its maiden voyage yesterday and is ready to roll to Gettysburg. Hope to see many of you there. Look me up on the race car class and say Hey.
Attached Images
Old July 30th, 2018, 07:55 AM

restoration is finished -except for some minor details - like decals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180726_185949.jpg (313.7 KB, 34 views)
20180726_190028.jpg (303.3 KB, 23 views)
20180726_190005.jpg (284.2 KB, 23 views)
Old July 30th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

For the folks who think that all of PA is under water, I'm at the site right now helping set up. Conditions are fine.
Old July 30th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
restoration is finished -except for some minor details - like decals!
Awesome! Can't wait to see in person!

Both mine are cleaned up and will be there tomorrow.
Old July 30th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
This is the best I can do with a map. I've got a better one, jpeg, but not on this computer...
Thanks that helps alot!
Old July 30th, 2018, 03:12 PM

I'll be there!!

Folks, I'm driving up Thursday Morning. Car is clean, tuned and ready!!

Rick
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:17 AM

Thursday 2:00-5:00 at the Wyndham.
I’m planning to stop by. I’ve managed to make this a “work” trip so I won’t have my car but it will be nice to see everyone.

I even tried to re-join the OCA today but I guess when you had a previous membership they want you to contact them first. If I can’t join by Thursday I assume there will be a way to do it at Gettysburg.

Once you’re situated maybe give an update on what room you’ll be at from 2-5.
Old July 31st, 2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1Restorick
Folks, I'm driving up Thursday Morning. Car is clean, tuned and ready!!

Rick
Rick - looking good ! See you there!

Old July 31st, 2018, 05:39 PM
Olds Fever

Today was a great day for swap meet setup... Overcast but dry and no beating sun... Meeting a few CO members also made it a good day...
Old August 1st, 2018, 04:58 PM

Just got back, 160 miles each way, trailered the 442 there, turnout was VERY sparse and weather was actually pretty good until the 3PM rain and thats when I left. Will return Friday if weather conditions are similar. Swap looked pretty good but I need very little.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 06:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Actually, turnout has been pretty good, but as with other Nationals that I've attended, many folks don't put their car on the showfield until Thursday night or Friday AM. Actually, when the sun came out after 5:00 today, there were a lot of cars on the showfield.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 04:01 PM
Olds Fever

Since the weather was a little iffy today, spent some time in both the swap and show areas... Had a few sales while at the swap area but I didn't actually open up for full on sales...
Old August 3rd, 2018, 05:41 PM

Actually, turnout has been pretty good, but as with other Nationals that I've attended, many folks don't put their car on the showfield until Thursday night or Friday AM. Actually, when the sun came out after 5:00 today, there were a lot of cars on the showfield.
your right on that. I was there Weds-Friday about noon. Got up early today and got a good look at all the cars then got the wife up and we came back from 8:30 to 12. Our first one and have to say my wife enjoyed it almost as much as I did.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 05:51 PM

Back home again today. Wow what a mud bog mess on the fields. I almost needed a tow, truck with trailer when I left. As others did today I just pulled in a bit on flat grass just off main road at the Hotel. I unloaded there and there was not an issue till I tried to move the unloaded truck/trailer later in the day. Lucky for me I could go forward and turn onto the blacktop. Behind me my tires would spin, and did start to kick up some mud and there was no real rain today. Saw some friends there and many more cars showed up but still there were many empty slots. The swap dwindled also since Wednesday.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
but still there were many empty slots.
Of the 368 cars registered, about 350 showed up. Keep in mind that the showfield layout was 1.5 parking spots for every show car. It looked sparse intentionally to allow room around the cars.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:33 PM
"I need a couch"

What a terrific time, nice folk and fantastic cars!
My wife & I drove up from Mississippi and absolutely loved our first ever National Meet.
Many thanks to OCA and the Blue/Gray chapter volunteers for a job well done.
Old August 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM

Here are a few picts I took, just seemed like there were a few large areas vacant between groups of cars and in some rows gaps in an area that should have a car there yesterday. But numbers don't lie accordingly there was next to a full turnout which is great. I was surprised there were very few wagons and vistas, no 65 thru 67 88's, and not one Radiant green Cutlass or 442.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
thumbnail-5.jpeg (242.1 KB, 32 views)
thumbnail-4.jpeg (205.8 KB, 28 views)
thumbnail-6.jpeg (235.3 KB, 28 views)
thumbnail-7.jpeg (168.3 KB, 29 views)
Old August 4th, 2018, 08:59 AM

Show was great and a real good turn out as Joe stated. Saw some interesting stuff there. The most surprising was the 4 door Cutlass Salon with five speed on the floor. Not enough wagons, only about 6 including Joe's F-85. I've never seen one of those either. "If it runs it's done" is a good motto Joe, I may have to hi-jack that. Got in late Thursday about 3:30 after pressing on through several rain storms. The last one got us good and it was about 4 miles before we could get to a rest area to put the top up. After that smooth sailing. Went to see Scott Winn and never made it to the CO meeting. Met many good people there. Bought some stuff I needed, didn't need and what was I thinking. That's the life of an addict. There's worse things I could be addicted to. Friday I was parked over by the circle in front of the REO Speed Wagon. The 71 viking blue Cutlass with 72 tail lights (because I like them better), with all the holes in the fenders, quarters and trunk where they should be. Myself and my friend Jason rolled out about 3:30. Glad we made it there.

And now the bad news... Broke another rocker arm on the way home. About 80 miles to go, I think somewhere near Summersett, NJ, on Route 22. We pulled the bad rocker off and limped home. Oil was pumping good through the rods. So everyday is a learning experience and that was no different. The #4 exhaust rocker was broken in half. What I learned about 20 minutes ago was I should have swapped the intake rocker to the exhaust side. Went to fix it today and the intake rod is bent and mushroomed to a point where it will not pass through the guide and the top half of the motor now has to come apart. At this point I would assume the lifter is trashed and possibly the cam. I had purchased a set of roller type rockers from Crane Cams last year when the other broke on a long road trip but didn't like the way they set up. So does anyone know if the stock type ones Summit sells are any stronger? I'm guessing I'll have to start a tread in the engine forum when I have time. I have to look up all the cam specs I don't have a clue what they are or what they mean.

What I tell people when **** goes sideways is "We don't do this out of necessity and we don't do this for monetary gain". Now I need to remind myself. Wife's Travers chewed a starter, so after I've spent a week or so pulling that apart and getting it back together I'll tackle the Olds. Spending money I don't have at the swap meet and before on parts, I'm hoping, this isn't my end game. It's been a slow year, was out for a few months with a bad back, the kids are getting older and the more sports they get into the less disposable income and time to make it, so money is tight. If it is the end game I have a lot of s@#t to sell. Keep in mind this is the #'s matching 455 for the 71 442. It may be time to stop running this motor and get the 350 I pulled out last year done. Sorry for running on, I know this is more a clubhouse thing but something needs to keep me from losing my s@#t right now. With my track record on these East/ West trips I may not make Kansas next summer. I pull a small trailer North and South with this car on family trips and never seem to have these problems.
Old August 4th, 2018, 07:50 PM

hey Zeeke, sorry to hear about the troubles, hang in there...
Old August 5th, 2018, 12:52 PM
"I need a couch"

Zeeke, at least the beer was good and you have a new friend if you ever find yourself lost or broke down in Mississippi. It was nice meeting you...things are bound to get better; heck, they may use you in a Goodfellas sequel... hang tough big guy!
Old August 5th, 2018, 06:43 PM

Zeeke, sorry I missed you, I really did want to see your car as it is a twin to mine. I did meet a lot of fellow CO members at the meeting and a few of us went to the Hoss's restaurant for dinner Friday night. It really was a fun time. I must admit the rain was excessive. I got 2-3 inches of water on the drivers side floor board twice. The weird thing is it's not from the roof, the wife and I decided to tour the battlefield when a monsoon came. We were in side the car and saw no water from the roof but yet the floor board filled up as we were in it! Tomorrow I am going to take out the carpet and dry it out and try to duplicate the the drenching with a water hose. My guess is it's the rear roof trough- (It's a convertible). Anyway, came back on Sunday and went to the Flight 93 Memorial. Very emotional... I recommend going to it. Cutlass did great (except for the leak), Air worked, no troubles about 1400 miles traveled.
Old August 5th, 2018, 07:18 PM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by zeeke
Show was great and a real good turn out as Joe stated......Friday I was parked over by the circle in front of the REO Speed Wagon. The 71 viking blue Cutlass".....
i am guessing this is it:

Old August 6th, 2018, 04:22 AM

Got home late yesterday afternoon. It was actually the first time I have ever taken a car to a show. We had a great time and met some really cool people. I wasn't sure about the long trip to Wichita next year but definitely planning on it now.

Quick Reply: 2018 Oldsmobile nationals