General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

About to get another one...

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2016, 10:35 AM
Gearhead in training

About to get another one...

Long time no post, ive been digging deep into the manuals you guys helped me out with and theyve done alot of good! Later today i might be getting myself into some trouble, theres an 1987 custom cruiser by me that i may pick up for $500. The car is mint, other than typical rust spots starting to show, even has a built in CB radio! Its owner seems crushed to sell it, but her husband wants it gone and is going to get her a new car so she just wants it to go to a good home. She says she is the second owner and it has 80k miles without a doubt.

Now for the problem, she says she started it up last summer and drove around her property and said it started "bucking" at like 40 mph but her son has his share of classics and says it couldn't be the transmission... What do you guys think about this buy? She talked on the phone with me for an hour reminiscing about it and her dream of painting it baby blue and throwing a surf board on the top and driving it to the beach. I dont think shes hiding anything, but i dont want to have to replace a transmission without expecting to.
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:28 AM

First of all, for $500, the car does not have to answer to much. That's parts-car price range. If it starts and moves under its own power, you're already ahead of the game.

Second, does the car run and drive now? If it does run, and the car is nearby, don't take her word for what it does when it gets to 40 mph. Go over there, get in it and drive it yourself and find out for sure what it does. It may just need a tune-up. "Bucking" can be some people's word for hesitation, and it may need only a fuel filter.

Another comment: I haven't seen the car, of course, but no $500 car is "mint."

Yet another comment: talked with you on the phone for an hour, eh? When you do go over there, you might want it to be when her husband is home.
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Gearhead in training

Looks darn near mint to me, and ive already established that i wont be coming by till her husband is home, which has delayed this deal 2 days as he apperantly works all day. She said from the time i emailed her to the time ahe called me, she had 7 other inquires about the car so i made sure i buttered her up a bit, for the cars sake (;

I almost bought one of similar condition and the exactly same style for 300, until some dude came in and swept it up for asking price to take it to the derby.... What a shame....
Attached Images
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Gearhead in training

I will say i see the master window switch seems tampered with, but if thats all thats wrong im not complaining!
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:57 PM

Is this the ad for the car? The seller couldn't be bothered to include even one photo?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5610995780.html

Last edited by jaunty75; June 1st, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:01 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Is this the ad for the car? They seller couldn't be bothered to include even one photo?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5610995780.html
That tag line "Very restorable" generally does not lead one to conclude "mint".
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:02 PM
Gearhead in training

That would be the one, and she doesnt even want to sell it but her husband is making her, sounds like theyre an older couple. She only sent me 2 pictures, but its so close to me im just waiting to see it in person
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:04 PM
Gearhead in training

Hey, look at the pic and judge yourself. It looks great to me, and sounds great as well for 500 (;
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:09 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Northern Custom Cruiser
That would be the one, and she doesnt even want to sell it but her husband is making her, sounds like theyre an older couple. She only sent me 2 pictures, but its so close to me im just waiting to see it in person
Just go with eyes wide open. To break the ice, take them some Brach's candies in the fancy foil wrappers. If they are older, they'll appreciate the gesture and won't find them hard to eat with their dentures. You might even be able to trim off 10% from the purchase price.

If they are younger than you, keep the candies in your pocket and chow down on them on the drive home, celebrating your good fortune.

Old June 1st, 2016, 01:15 PM

Hey, look at the pic and judge yourself.
What pic? The one you posted?

The interior does look nice, but you can't tell anything else about the car.

Old June 1st, 2016, 01:16 PM

I'll tell you straight up ... DO NOT let swapping the trans be a reason to not get it. The trans on these things it EASY. BTW ... @#$%$@ you ... Took me 7 years to find mine and you yanks keep tripping over the things. TANJ.

As for the 7 others ... there's always someone else interested. 30 seconds after they posted the ad, there's 7 others interested. If nothing else, get you some photos of the engine bay (vacuum lines) and that routing decal.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:24 PM
Gearhead in training

Here's the outside
Attached Images
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:31 PM

Boy, she's certainly stingy on the photos, isn't she? We can certainly see the outside, yes, but we can't tell a whole lot from this one, either. How about a nice three-quarters view of the car? How about all four sides? How about the engine compartment?

That fading of the woodgrain, being on the top half of it, suggests that the car has been out in the sun much of its life.

As I said at the top of this, for $500, the car doesn't have to be much. But I haven't seen anything yet that brings "mint" to mind.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:34 PM
Hookers under Hood

Looks like you may be onto a good deal ther. I often purchase 2 vehicles of the same make and year. Not only because I like what I'm buying, Its mainly for when something goes wrong with one you can be sure it will eventually go on the other.
Sounds like your in the running on another cruiser.
Good luck,
Eric
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:34 PM

Here's a nice, three-quarters view of an '87 Custom Cruiser. This is the kind of photo the seller should provide, if she's going to provide any at all, and especially if she's going to provide only one photo. Not these half-assed, "I took it while I was sleepwalking" type of photos!

Old June 1st, 2016, 01:50 PM

Off the bat, I see rust at the roof line, a leaking rear window glass and the filler plate at the bumper is gone. Must be one of those old stale mints that grandparents leave in a bowl on the coffee table ... for years. Sneak one and you're not sure if it's just old, or if they mistakenly put urinal mints in there. Gack!
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:53 PM

Here's a bit larger version of the photo. You can see more detail. The woodgrain is not only faded, but bubbled up as well. The tires and wheelcovers look good.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 1st, 2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old June 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM
Administrator

First explain that your a young man with limited means and if they would accept $300 you'll be right over. Then go right over.
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:23 PM

I would skip the $300 offer over the phone, and wait until you've had a chance to check it out. I've had too many people try to lowball or negotiate with me on items sight unseen, to the point that I won't answer that question anymore but will simply state "Come have a look at it, then feel free to make a reasonable offer."

Go check it out, talk to them and reassure them (her) that you'll give the car a good, loving home...just subtle comments while you're inspecting it. Then bring on the "limited means" bit, and respectfully offer the $300 while showing them the cash...negotiate from there...but if you really want it, be prepared to pay the $500.

As a buyer intent on trying to negotiate a lower price, I generally have my "target" price cash in one place...right hand pocket for example. But I'll have enough reserve cash in my wallet or other pocket so in case I need to pay that bit more. Might just be me not liking to talk someone down a few hundred (or thousand) then showing them that I had enough money to meet their price.
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:53 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

And keep those Brach foil candies handy......
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:55 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by professur
must be one of those old stale mints that grandparents leave in a bowl on the coffee table ... For years. sneak one and you're not sure if it's just old, or if they mistakenly put urinal mints in there. Gack!
roflmao!!!!!
Old June 1st, 2016, 06:01 PM

Oh, Do Not show up driving an identical wagon if she 'wants it to go to a good home'. Nothing screams "I'm here for a parts car" than arriving in it's twin. BTW ... why are you looking at this car?
Old June 1st, 2016, 07:53 PM
Gearhead in training

Thanks for all the tips, and professur im looking at this car because im in need of another because having two working people scheduling around one car is quite difficult. So i figured its time to get rid of a few investments that im just sitting on and turn it into a car, id save enough time and money to recuperate what i let go of. This car happens to be ridiculously cheap and 15 minutes from my house .
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:17 PM
Gearhead in training

Ive seen many custom cruisers come and go where i am, and this one, though beaten to death by the sun, seems to be a good candidate for what im looking for. Hell, maybe ill evwn have it prettied up for nationals and if im lucky the AC will be working by then (;
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:06 PM

Ive seen many custom cruisers come and go where i am, and this one, though beaten to death by the sun, seems to be a good candidate for what im looking for. Hell, maybe ill evwn have it prettied up for nationals and if im lucky the AC will be working by then (;
By your interior pic, that is not beaten to death by the sun at all! If that had been in the Oklahoma sun since new, there would probably not even be an interior piece that could be salvaged! The dash would be more cracks than dash and be very brittle and seats,door panels and carpet would be toast! If it is not rusty, $500 is a great deal!
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looks like a basically solid car.

Take a good look at all of the rubber - door and window seals and tires. All of that can be quite expensive to replace if it's totally shot. A set of good tires is likely to run you twice what you'll pay for the car. Be sure to figure that in to any cost projections you make while deciding.

As for the "bucking," you have no idea what she means.
Could be the carb. needs a rebuild.
Could be a bad fuel pump or fuel filter.
Could be bad spark plug wires or a bad distributor cap, rotor, or ignition module.

Take a look, see it in person, BRING CASH, and, if you like it, make a deal.

By the way, I don't necessarily agree that it would be bad to drive over in your other wagon; "I love this car, but it's got a million miles on it, and I want another because I love it so much" could be a good argument - use your judgement.

Happy hunting!

- Eric
Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:06 AM
Gearhead in training

The reason im so set on getting this car is because i have a complete custom cruiser with the exact same interior that i can use as a doner, the engine and transmission as well as the whole rest of of the car is there except for the front end, which got damaged in a crash... Nomatter what is wrong with this car, i have the piece to fix it. Its just a matter of finding out what needs swapped. The only problem is now the lady is out of town and cant show it! I may, however, be able to turn this around for the better, as she is the one fond of the car and her husband is the one that wants it gone. I displayed my eagerness to see it and she said she might get her husband to show it to me while shes gone. Cross your fingers and say a prayer... Lol

If not, itll give me time to gather resources. She assured me i would be the first to see it.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's your best deal!

Have hubby, who hates the car, show it to you, stuff some cash under his nose and - most important - offer to get it gone RIGHT NOW (bring a friend, a tow truck, a team of mice hitched to a cart, whatever). Any money at all will be a bonus to his true goal of making the car disappear, but to do this, the car does have to actually disappear.

- Eric
Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
Gearhead in training

Thanks orange442,i just happened to see all those fantastic words in your list of cars you owned and i must say congratulations. I am in awe.

Eric, on the past two custom cruisers i bought i had to replace the tires, as they were old and dry rotted. I really hoping this is not the case here, but we'll see. The seats look great, which makes me quite happy, im just hoping the dash matches and theres little rust. From the pictures, it looks as if there's no rust behind the rear wheels and lile you said if the seals are in good condition as well it should be smooth sailing! I already used the fact that i have another in support that id take good care of it. So i dont think theyd be offended if i showed up in the same car. If i get it ill be sure to post some proper photos. Thanks alot on all the advice, as always, you guys are the best lol
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:38 AM

Keith,
Offer them a little less in person but be willing to pay the full amount. You obviously love these CC's so for $500 I don't see how you can go wrong.
It's not like these things are for sale everyday for that price.

Let me know if you need help getting it home.

Good Luck!

Rick
Old June 5th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Gearhead in training

Thanks rick! I didnt end up getting to see the car this weekend as a close friend of mine died in a car accident, totally out of nowhere... He was less than 2 years older than me and was quite a unique one of a kind person and ive been alittle out of wack. She hasn't showed the car to anyone else so im still on the top of the list.. Will update everyone once i do actually go see the car and thanks again!
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Thanks rick! I didnt end up getting to see the car this weekend as a close friend of mine died in a car accident, totally out of nowhere... He was less than 2 years older than me and was quite a unique one of a kind person and ive been alittle out of wack. She hasn't showed the car to anyone else so im still on the top of the list.. Will update everyone once i do actually go see the car and thanks again!
Sorry to here about your friend. Never easy losing folks we are close to especially when they are young.

Take Care

Rick
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:02 AM

I got an offer of $700 on my old Parisienne this weekend. Guy wants it for the quarters, and has a buddy that wants the drivetrain.
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM

That's a bummer that your friend passed away unexpectedly.

Hopefully you can work a deal for a new wagon.