General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

8.5" 10 Bolt w/ Bolt In Axles

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2016, 09:00 AM

8.5" 10 Bolt w/ Bolt In Axles

Forgive me if this has already been covered anywhere else. I just bought a new rear end for my '77 Cutlass 442. I was told it was out of a '73 Chevelle but that's not really hear nor there. Everything measures out correctly and it looks like it will bolt right in. I'm planning to replace all bearings and seals and clean up and paint before installing. Upon tearing this thing apart come to find out it has bolt in axles vs. C clips. I have heard that these existed but have never actually come across one. My question is as follows:
This has tapered roller axle bearings vs. the straight roller or ball bearing style that are in C clip 8.5" 10 bolts. I can't find parts for this as far as the axle bearings go. The bearings and seals I'm sure I can get a number off of once everything is clean and get them so that is probably not an issue. BUT, these have what seams to be a small, press-on locking collar behind the pressed on inner bearing race on the axle. Does anyone know where I can find these? Any insight into this rear end would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:22 AM

Its likely out of 73-77 BOP or GMC Sprint they had bolt in axles and I have seen the taperd bearing before. It was either a 73 Pontiac Grand AM or a 76 Buick Century that had it when I swapped one before. 74 Cutlass had bolt in as well as a 73 GMC Sprint (El Camino)
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:27 AM

That rear likely uses Timken Set9 axle bearings, the same as are used in the '70-'72 Olds rears with bolt-in axle shafts. The thin lock rings are factory issue and the aftermarket ones are much thicker. You can buy them at nearly every auto parts store.
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the information guys! Fun71 I have used the thicker aftermarket lock rings before and I wasn't sure if they would work with these tapered bearings or not. I didn't see why not but wasn't sure so thanks for reinforcing my assumption. This thing has been kind of wacky for me so far. They guy I bought this from traded for it years ago and it didn't work for what he wanted it for so it's been sitting ever since. I got a good buy on it at much cheaper than it would have cost me to change gears in my current rear (I have the 2 series carrier so I would have had to buy a new carrier, gears, etc., etc.). Well the bolt in axles were a pleasant surprise. But one axle has the tapered roller bearing (which I'm assuming is stock) and the other has a C clip style bearing with the aftermarket lock ring. So I'm glad I tore this thing apart before just slapping it in the car.
Old June 1st, 2016, 07:33 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Originally Posted by Fun71
That rear likely uses Timken Set9 axle bearings, the same as are used in the '70-'72 Olds rears with bolt-in axle shafts. The thin lock rings are factory issue and the aftermarket ones are much thicker. You can buy them at nearly every auto parts store.
I wish I would have had this info a few months ago. I call up Summit because I was having a hard time finding bearing locally. The link is what they said would work, expensive! They also needed to be pressed on which was expensive too. Oh well, it's only money right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/YGA-10043
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:56 PM

Wow, they are $17 on Rock Auto.