General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

your summer to do list. post it.

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
jfb

your summer to do list. post it.

I went through a lot of bs this spring. battery,poweer steering pump and the master cylinder and I received a lot of credit for the bad parts. power steering pump free, master cylinder 60 percent off and the battery was price matched. I bought great parts to begin with but the winter or lasts were hard on them. I got 16 years of driving for all, except the battery. American parts only.
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM

My summer to-do list? Stay indoors until fall when the temperature drops below 100º.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:04 PM
same but different

I've been too busy fixing and maintaining house hold goods and yard and power equipment.

I don't need another project, and I don't need another break down.

Just trying to maintain.

I can enjoy a beverage or two and be thank full I have the know how,tools and enough scratch to do this myself. I can't imagine paying someone to fix it for me. Then...wonder if they did it right.

Good luck to everyone this summer, in what ever you do.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:05 PM

I'd like to get my overflow system up and running, fix my reverse lights, and finish up work on my wipers.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:06 PM

This summer

Run 10.79 @ 123 mph @ 4000' elevation in my 1972.

That is this summers' target. Last pass in Sept was 10.89 @ 122.5 mph but we found another 40 hp and 39 TQ on the chassis dyno.

Father's Day weekend I'll have a go at it. Wish me well.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; June 12th, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Good luck
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Olds Fever

List is too long and the time would be ill spent.... Besides, who really follows a list......
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:02 PM

Guys:
Whatever the Wife tells me to do, you married guys know I'm right.
Ron
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:19 PM

Fix the '86...

Getting the 86 ready for next year's daily driver duty!

- Replace AC selector vacuum switch - did it today.
- Replace TPS in carb - to do tomorrow. My neighbor's 13 year old grandson is itching to see my old cars tomorrow, so I will have a free helper then!
- Replace the rusted muffler - next week or so, if it stays 95* or less. It is due to arrive Tuesday. Mosquitos are getting bad so might have to wait till winter... I got the old muff off already so the hard part is done...
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:55 AM

Build up my garage,btw its no summer here..
Old June 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I'm driving it for now. But I have a th350 I rebuilt and modified for the current engine build I'm working on . Evenn then time is flying. I gotta get new front tires for the olds as mine are ovaled out a bit . I'm putting track times off as I'm enoying tooling around town in it . Besides that I have had 3 side jobs in the las month , house projects , been doing the bodywork on member 67cutlassfreak's cutlass, doing the body work on my friends c-10 and also rebuilding his diff. All this with a full time job lol. Although I would make more money going full time for myself I need an excuse to have tax free income from time to time.
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
List is too long and the time would be ill spent.... Besides, who really follows a list......
X2, i dont really have a list. I just do what i want to do.
Old June 13th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Administrator

While not one who makes lists or plans, I'm a spur of the moment kinda guy. The car is basically running fine, so I'm in the enjoyment phase until the next project comes around unexpectedly preventing enjoyment. I'll just do what "she who makes the rules" wants. As long as "she" is happy, I'm happy and get to do what I want.
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:01 PM
jfb

I guess I forgot to put this in also, windows, shed and upkeep on the other car also. I am after june 21st am fishing camping hunting and racing the olds goes everywhere and has a overdrive to boot.. the work at the house and overtime at the job come first just regular prioritys.
Old June 13th, 2015, 07:25 PM

I love the heat, but I'll still complain.
I have the frame out so time to install the frame narrowing kit from ABC Performance. Monday or Tuesday the first part starts when my welder comes over. I've also purchased a small mig welder because I'm going to try it myself. It will be a learning process but I'll figure it out. Keeps me busy. Hoorah to hot rodding!
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:20 PM

Just finishing up a little pergola, raking out and seeding a corner of the yard, need to dismantle a '70 parts cutlass and get my '71 on the road.

And the honey do list.
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:28 AM
jfb

Exclamation i hear ya on time.

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I'm driving it for now. But I have a th350 I rebuilt and modified for the current engine build I'm working on . Evenn then time is flying. I gotta get new front tires for the olds as mine are ovaled out a bit . I'm putting track times off as I'm enoying tooling around town in it . Besides that I have had 3 side jobs in the las month , house projects , been doing the bodywork on member 67cutlassfreak's cutlass, doing the body work on my friends c-10 and also rebuilding his diff. All this with a full time job lol. Although I would make more money going full time for myself I need an excuse to have tax free income from time to time.
I hear you loud and clear I went through the same bs to get my olds to this point. swap meets,side jobs,overtime and long 105 degree days in my driveway and huge blisters to get it done plus 16 to 20 hr weekends of work on it. I also did a few nights during the week but it is worth it go for it guys. the pay off is huge and unexplainable just pure nirvana forever naturally.
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:34 AM

I'm building up a spare parts supply and rebuilding or have them re built as I go, starter, fuel pump, carburetor, distributor. If something doesn't seem reliable before a long road trip I'll swap it out and press on. Nothing worse than having some part hold you up at the re builders while you lose out on a vacation that has been in the works for months...Tedd
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:28 PM

My Summer in a Span of two Weeks

Since my shop is 5 hours away (at my permanent home) I have to get this done in two weeks.

-finish installing new gas tank with internal EFI pump
-run new fuel lines for EFI system
-install new distributor
- install fuel filter, regulator and EFI module in place of the carb
-start and tune the EFI
-finish the stereo install. Clean up the speaker mounts under deck.
-begin planning electrical rewire for next summer.
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:07 PM

I thank the lord I haven't broken anything expensive on the olds to make a list this year. I've been trying to work on the old Plymouth and around the house at the same time. Keep telling the wife she may have to get a second or third job to keep up with my expensive hobbies though! Lol.
Sean
Old June 15th, 2015, 03:57 AM

Finish renovating the dump I bought this past fall. Playing with my cars is more fun, luckily my Olds doesn't need much and is running very well, it does need a new exhaust system though.
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have a BeCool rad to install along with a chrome brake booster, wilwood master cylinder, wilwood calipers, chrome P/S pump new aluminium pulleys, clutch and fan. I also purchased a tach along with the 3 summit gauge cluster. I've already installed the new grant steering wheel, summit tach and gauges along with the tranny cooler. I'm waiting on my new DUI distributer to come from summit on the 7th of july before I start installing the other parts.
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:11 PM

Talking Summer To-Do's: Ambitious

I'm kicking my refresh project into high gear after getting my compressor and blast cabinet plumbed. I will finally begin to install the parts I've been collecting for the past three years.

This past weekend I completed refinishing my front control arms, upper and lower. Today I completed installation of all the new front bushings and ball joints. Next is to assemble all of the new steering components then install the CAs, new shocks and taller springs, and all of the steering parts, including the newly refinished middle and lower steering column shafts, along with refreshed brake backing plates and parts, wheel bearings, steering knuckles - all of it.

Also on the list is to replumb the brake system to four all new wheel cylinders. Installation of headers required moving the distribution block and the lines are just whacked all *****-nilly right now. I just received my new toys, er, tools and parts for the brake lines, and a new distribution block is on its way. Due to working space limitations, I should probably do this part before installing the steering column shafts and brake MC and booster. In this scenario I can put the block just about anywhere. Any suggestions?

Then comes the rear end. This will include R&R and refinish of all the components along with a swap of 3.23 gears for a 3.42 set on a new (to me) anti-spin carrier, new taller springs, shocks, and added frame braces. This will make my signature tag line honest The car came with what appeared to be factory installed air shocks, so that's what I'm putting back on.

It sounds like a lot and I'm hoping to be done with this part of the list by the end of July. Then comes refinishing the floor pan and reinstalling the interior, along with new weather stripping all around. Oh, and let's not forget sound deadening material - I will be reading up on choices made by members and documented here on CO.

Oh yeah, I'm getting the original radiator re-cored this week at an old-school radiator repair joint. I couldn't believe the schmeg that came out with the rusty water! The shop manager said he could "rod" the lines, but due to its age and condition he was concerned it would cause leaks. With his input, and the current condition, I decided to re-core it instead.

I think this should keep my out of trouble when I'm not out on the dirtbike.
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:18 PM

The list goes on...

That last post was just the beginning. I've got new exhaust, sport steering wheel, Rally Pack, "correct" Hurst 442 shifter, and more to install. All of the mechanical stuff will be updated/refreshed this year. Then I start saving up for a body refinish, along with any body work that may be hidden. There is rust in the usual places, but so far I've not found any dent repairs. Who knows what I'll find under the paint.
Old July 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM
jfb

I had a long 2 to 3 weeks of getting the olds back to normal. parts searching and installing and diagnosing several systems. I left the car home the day it happened when it was raining and my previous working systems were hacked and the ignition switch rod was pulled out of the ignition switch for starters and bent and the sector gear was shattered in several places and the day before no bs or drama it was running and starting excellent. Haters out there with no ***** I guess. watch out for your ride guys this summer.
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:05 PM

To Do List

Run electrical from in-tank fuel pump to FAST EFI 2.0 kit I'm installing.
Install ECU module and run wires thru the firewall. 2.0 " hole required.
Install new electronic ignition.
Install new distributor.
Connect it all up. Start and hope for the best.

Next, finish install of hidden stereo system. Do finish work on speaker install.
Complete troubleshooting and repair of windshield wipers.
Finish horn connections.
Upgrade headlight bulbs for brighter lights at night.

Go to some late summer, early fall shows.
Be ready to go to the North Texas show in Granbury next year.

Start planning for electrical rewire next winter.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:41 AM

I'm stuck renovating a F'n dump. I have little time for the Olds.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:15 AM

I have not really been able to start my "to-do" list. I'm still waiting for 2 days in a row w/o rain and 90+ degree heat so that I can enjoy a long drive.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:25 PM

Stereo housing

I'll Google USB be output/sockets and see what's out there. Surely there's a flush mount style out there.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:31 AM

I have managed to stay on schedule for my Summer To-Do's. Got the frame completed and motor tore down and ready to build it back up.
But my Honey-Do's are next in order, it will be a long winter if I don't get these done.........ARRRRG!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0715161503.jpg (1.64 MB, 16 views)
0730160624a.jpg (2.07 MB, 15 views)
0730160625a.jpg (1.49 MB, 14 views)
0715161504.jpg (2.08 MB, 13 views)
Old April 10th, 2019, 05:08 AM

Hey all,

Randy asked me to find an aerosol paint that can be custom done to match the interior color of my 72 Cutlass, instead of the standard black housing which I think would look a bit off. Photo of interior below:

I was referred to SEM products, but I cannot find anything near the brown/saddle/gold OEM interior color...

Any help out there?
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Recently bought a 64 F85 with a big block in it. I would like to change out the steering box for a 972 lares box, have some tailpipes made up hoping to quiet down a little, and replace the front AR mags with some 15x6 Steelies and put the dog dish caps on all fours. Maybe hit spring Carlisle.
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Forward into the Past

I need to fix the A/C and the ABS module.
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Administrator

My summer to do's is to not do any and just drive the car. Had enough winter to do's.
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Olds Omega

getting my newly bought Omega onto the road with just cleaning, maintenance (replace all liquids,...) ans some basic repairs
spend 2 weeks at the Croatian sea
visit my first US car event with the Omega here in Austria

participate with 3 mates in the RaceAroundAustria with my road cycle
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:54 AM

2 1/2 years from last post on this thread and the end is very near on this build. Basically have to install the interior, windshield & back glass, finish torqueing the suspension, align the front end and DRIVE IT!!!!
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:00 AM

Where do I start...

Finish a few things in the basement pub
Keep plugging away at the Olds
Start the granddaughters go-kart
Drink more beer
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:03 AM

1) Remove the aftermarket non-functional A/C compressor so that I can install the driver-side hose for my OAI system.
2) Remove the under-dash A/C unit and fix a few electrical gremlins that are preventing my aftermarket under-dash gauges from working reliably.
3) Fix the wrinkled "Cutlass" emblem on my glove-box door.
4) Attend at least one car show.

I'll be satisfied if I can knock out 2 of these.
Old April 11th, 2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
My summer to do's is to not do any and just drive the car. Had enough winter to do's.
Awesome! I cannot wait until this is my to-do. Goal is within the next 2 years