General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are you buying GM OEM?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Are you buying GM OEM?

Maybe a little sensitive topic, considering that many of us owe some part of our lives to the tranportation industry, or are directly employed by an auto giant.

ANYWAY,
I'd like to know the reason behind GM pricing strategy (if any) for replacement parts. Some parts obviously are under exclusive licensing due to newness or technology, but many are available as aftermarket. In the old days we used to "Keep your car GM", but that's not the reality of economic or fiscal spending to a lot of us. It also used to be true that only GM parts would fit or work right. I question that now.

I just recently found the coolant sensor electrical connector (not the sensor) was not working properly - bad contacts. I called GM and asked for a price on the connector pigtail. I could have that puppy today for a measly $92.00 Well, cut my wires and call me Linda; order me a doz! Then I called NAPA. Darlene knew exactly what I needed. Even matched it up to the sensor to make sure. I'm sure she was swayed by my boyish good looks and God like physique (naw, she wasn't that blind or desperate) because it rang up to 18.00 - tax in. And it was the right part.

This is not an uncommon occurence. WHY doesn't GM open their eyes and stay competitive in their pricing. It's driving me away from even calling them anymore. Last year when I R&R'd my throttle body, I called GM and asked for the rubber TB coolant seal. Couldn't be had by itself they said, I had to buy a kit for over 120.00!!! Ohhhh, Bend over, here it comes again I thought. Then I called NAPA. Yup, in stock - $7.00

I know I'm not the only one frustrated with this, and it's not just GM, you'll probably find this at Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, etc. But how the heck do they expect me to have brand loyalty when the cost of replacing parts is just gross?? I would GLADLY buy from GM if thier prices matched the commpetition. And I have to say, the competitions parts have been just as good so far.

Ok, that's it. My rant is over and I feel better.
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I've found that it's not GM , it's the individual dealerships *** raping people.

www.gmpartsdirect.com

It's supplied by a dealership in South Carolina IIRC
Just found the sites contact info this year in a 2006 forum thread somewhere on a GM forum.

Prices are 1/5th of what local dealers charge.
Everything else I buy from Rock Auto from a well known name brand. (Raybestos, AC Delco, etc)

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 28th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've seen this at all "stealerships."

A few years ago the local GMC dealer wanted to hit me over $15 for a long engine accessory bolt for my pickup. The local industrial hardware store (NOT a chain store) had it for a couple of bucks, and handed it over with a smile and some local banter.

Around the same time, I was changing a power lock on my Grand Cherokee. I passed by the "stealer" and figured I should get a few of those nylon door panel retainers that always break. I had the parts guy look them up and grab me half a dozen. I reached into my pocket and asked how much.
"Seventy-five dollars," he said with a completely straight face.
I said, "You're kidding, right?"
He looked surprised and said that no, they were over $11 each.
I told him to keep them, but held off on suggesting where to put them.

On the other hand, I've bought a few minor parts from the local BMW dealer for reasonable prices (I recall a small plastic underbody protective panel for $1.98).

I'll use duct tape and bailing wire before I buy from GM or Chrysler again.

- Eric
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
On the other hand, I've bought a few minor parts from the local BMW dealer for reasonable prices (I recall a small plastic underbody protective panel for $1.98).
Same here, bought a two stage temp sensor for my Ford Taurus fan upgrade to my 442 from BMW.

They are the only one's that make a 2 stage sensor that I know of right now and it's from the 90's too.

It was $10 less from Rock Auto before shipping, so it was almost even.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I've found that it's not GM , it's the individual dealerships *** raping people.

www.gmpartsdirect.com

Just found the sites contact info this year in a 2006 forum thread somewhere on a GM forum.

Everything else I buy from Rock Auto from a well known name brand. (Raybestos, AC Delco, etc)
The problem I've run into with GM Parts Direct is that their prices on the parts are good, but they rape you on the shipping and "handling" and the total price ends up being within dollars of the price I can get it at the local dealer, and I don't have to wait 7 to 10 business days for it to show up if I get it from the local dealer. I've also never found anything 1/5 the price of the local dealer, usually about 1/2 the price (then add in the S&H). Maybe I've not looked at the right parts.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Maybe a little sensitive topic, considering that many of us owe some part of our lives to the tranportation industry, or are directly employed by an auto giant.

ANYWAY,
I'd like to know the reason behind GM pricing strategy (if any) for replacement parts. Some parts obviously are under exclusive licensing due to newness or technology, but many are available as aftermarket. In the old days we used to "Keep your car GM", but that's not the reality of economic or fiscal spending to a lot of us. It also used to be true that only GM parts would fit or work right. I question that now.

I just recently found the coolant sensor electrical connector (not the sensor) was not working properly - bad contacts. I called GM and asked for a price on the connector pigtail. I could have that puppy today for a measly $92.00 Well, cut my wires and call me Linda; order me a doz! Then I called NAPA. Darlene knew exactly what I needed. Even matched it up to the sensor to make sure. I'm sure she was swayed by my boyish good looks and God like physique (naw, she wasn't that blind or desperate) because it rang up to 18.00 - tax in. And it was the right part.

This is not an uncommon occurence. WHY doesn't GM open their eyes and stay competitive in their pricing. It's driving me away from even calling them anymore. Last year when I R&R'd my throttle body, I called GM and asked for the rubber TB coolant seal. Couldn't be had by itself they said, I had to buy a kit for over 120.00!!! Ohhhh, Bend over, here it comes again I thought. Then I called NAPA. Yup, in stock - $7.00

I know I'm not the only one frustrated with this, and it's not just GM, you'll probably find this at Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, etc. But how the heck do they expect me to have brand loyalty when the cost of replacing parts is just gross?? I would GLADLY buy from GM if thier prices matched the commpetition. And I have to say, the competitions parts have been just as good so far.

Ok, that's it. My rant is over and I feel better.
Allan, Try Warehouse Services in Sherwood Park or Edmonton. They carry AC Delco and other genuine parts for about a third of the price. I've also had good luck with NAPA, Parts Source and Canadian Tire. I never go to the dealer anymore. Went to get a spare key for the Aurora. $75 dollars! When I said "forget it" they told me not to loose the key because it was $500 to reprogram the whole car.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM

2 tailgate bumpers for an 06 silverado. 3/8 inch thick rubber smaller than a quarter. $35.00
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

I stopped buying from the dealer unless it is absolutely necessary. I usually buy my parts from NAPA, Rock Auto, and occasionally find good things on ebay.
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I do my best to try and find good used original oem stuff first.If that fails then I turn to the dealer or aftermarket.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
The problem I've run into with GM Parts Direct is that their prices on the parts are good, but they rape you on the shipping and "handling" and the total price ends up being within dollars of the price I can get it at the local dealer,.
I'm sure it varies on what part it is.

I ordered something from the dealer that costed me $46 + tax
I got the samething off GM Parts Direct for $13 and $10 shipped.

I took the part back to the dealer needless to say.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So, it turns out I'm not alone here. Some great tips from some of you about sourcing parts that I'm definitely going to try.

Just to reiterate: This post was started out of frustration with GM ( I guess it must be the dealership) parts pricing. It was not intended to bash GM. After all, I do have 3 of their products in my garage/driveway.

In Canada, we have some fun with our provinces initials. For example if you're going to BC it means 'Bring Cash" cause you'll need it. I guess that no matter where you are GM (used to be associated with 'Guardian Maintenance) is becoming synonomous with the milk approach: "Got Money?" Again it appears you'll need to show it at a dealership. A real pity IMHO
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Then there was the guy from Montana who advertised in our club newsletter. He says he has 7 acres of NOS GM parts in 7 buildings from the 20's to the 90's.
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM

I think for the dealer's it is the overhead in ordering small numbers of old car parts and it just isn't economical for them.

However, there is a classic car repair shop not far from me. He has gotten GM parts for me at over 60% discount from what I would have had to pay at dealer or even sometimes what I find online. That still won't bring that $92 part to $18, but it is OEM GM and it is a lot cheaper then the $92.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
I think for the dealer's it is the overhead in ordering small numbers of old car parts and it just isn't economical for them.
That's not the point. This part is the same for GM 3800 series 2 and 3. There is no overhead when you order or special order a part. But the retarded fact of the matter is that they charge high prices whether it's a stocking item or not. Trust me, they aren't going to earn my repeat business or even stay in business long with jerk off prices that you'd have to win a lottery to pay for.

However, there is a classic car repair shop not far from me. He has gotten GM parts for me at over 60% discount from what I would have had to pay at dealer or even sometimes what I find online. That still won't bring that $92 part to $18, but it is OEM GM and it is a lot cheaper then the $92.
Glad to know that you can get parts for less. I applaud the repair shop that can work with it's customers that way. And I'll bet that you'd continue using their services because of it. I would too! Again though, my rant was not about classic car parts, it's about reasonably new parts that are GROSSLY OVERPRICED. So the 18/92 discussion still doesn't make sense to me. Even with the 60% discount for the OEM part, what I think you're telling me is that you can get the $92.00 part for $36.00. I'll still go to the place where it costs 18.00. Even your classic shop is getting a 100% markup for which you would be happier to pay than going to a dealer. I get that. Its just not an option for me. Wish I had a golden goose like that up here. Take advantage of the good fortune while you can.
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Trust me, they aren't going to earn my repeat business or even stay in business long with jerk off prices that you'd have to win a lottery to pay for.
But that's just the thing - They DO seem to be able to stay in business.

My personal theory, developed after years of listening to coworkers talk about their car repairs, is that for a large number of specific individuals, the auto parts or service market is functionally the same as the health care market.

We, who work on our own cars, cannot fully grasp this, because for us, the market operates just like any classical economic market: the forces of supply and demand work to reduce prices of things that people don't want much, and increase prices for those that are scarce, but that everybody wants.
For us, if the price is too high, we will go somewhere else, or use an alternative part, or repair the original.

For those other people, they go to their car "doctor," who tells them magisterially what it will cost to "fix" the problem (without wasting the customers' time by actually discussing wat's wrong), and then they dig deep and cough up. Then they come to work the next day and tell me with awe how they just spent $800 to change a single small gasket.
It's the same as when the doctor tells you you will need a CAT scan - he says you need a CAT scan, so you get a CAT scan. You don't discuss the relative possibilities of the illnesses that the scan may detect, or the accuracy of the scan, or the possibility of using less costly or less radioactive ways of doing the same thing - you can't - you don't have the knowledge to make the judgement.

My point is that these $tealerships likely make their money off of the ignorance of the segment of the population that just writes a blank check to their mechanic without thinking about it. They would have to charge prices that are literally unaffordable to these people in order to drive themselves out of business, and you can bet they'll stop just short of doing that.

- Eric
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM

My point is that these $tealerships likely make their money off of the ignorance of the segment of the population that just writes a blank check to their mechanic without thinking about it. They would have to charge prices that are literally unaffordable to these people in order to drive themselves out of business, and you can bet they'll stop just short of doing that.

- Eric
I think you're quite correct. Like the plumber that charges $75 to fix a leaky faucet with a $0.25 washer. I think that for many folks here, even those of us that can afford it, we enjoy not only the satisfaction of doing it ourselves (correctly), but also of saving money (or not getting ripped off) and most importantly of knowing enough not to get ripped off.
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:01 PM

If you talk pigtails and valve stems, etc., then NAPA, et al, will have what you need if you have no concern on originality.

All I can advise is if you don't like the prices, look elsewhere. Turn over the rocks and look under the stairs. You can usually find a better deal than the dealership if you take the time. BUT...if you need a part soon, and know it's going to fit right out of the box (provided they gave you the right one) chances are you can't go wrong with genuine GM parts.

As for the high prices...you can blame that union guy making 28 bucks per hour to pull it off a shelf at the warehouse and throw it on the truck, to the dealership squeezing every buck they can as a middleman, all the way back to the R&D department that designed and tested the part from scratch so GM can get their development money back. The parts stores generally just copy what GM did and they don't have to invest as much, hence cheaper prices.

It's been this way for years now. Shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:57 PM
One of None W-31

I've seen this at all "stealerships."I'll use duct tape and bailing wire before I buy from GM or Chrysler again.
- Eric
Haha pure entertainment. You left out bungee cords, superlue,and zipties .
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

We have the same issues too.

It's just the same in the UK, some parts are actually cheaper at the dealer than they are at the local motor factors suprisingly enough, but mostly you pay a hefty premium for OEM.
I used to work for a Vauxhall main dealer (the British arm of GM), most of the servicing work was for fleet operators who wrote off repair costs in their costings. They weren't interested in the individual owners much, mostly as soon as their cars were out of warranty we didn't see them again.
There have been benchmark court decisions in the EU that uphold that if OEM quality matching parts are used an independent repair shop with properly qualified technicians can carry out servicing and the dealers cannot invalidate the warranty because of it.
I had a different experience in Australia however, a Ford dealer in Perth was happy and helpful in supplying me with a plastic ring (cost Aus$ 2.30) to fix a light switch on a Ford Falcon. In the UK they will only sell you a new switch.
Spend a bit of time shopping for your parts and savings are to be made, the big dealers seem to rely on customers not bothering to do this.
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Like the plumber that charges $75 to fix a leaky faucet with a $0.25 washer.
Let's not be too hard on the plumber. That $75 isn't just buying the washer, it's buying his time and his knowledge about how to fix the leak in the first place, which makes this not a very good analogy if the purpose of this thread is to complain about high mark-ups for OEM parts at dealerships.
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Let's not be too hard on the plumber. That $75 isn't just buying the washer, it's buying his time and his knowledge about how to fix the leak in the first place, which makes this not a very good analogy if the purpose of this thread is to complain about high mark-ups for OEM parts at dealerships.
I'm not sure it's a bad analogy to use. I had a plumber at my house to take care of a problem I couldn't figure out (turns out after watching what he did I am just an idiot and could have easily fixed it myself) but while he was working he told me it looked like my garbage disposal was in bad shape and should be replaced (the GD is old so I don't think he was trying to sell me something I didn't need). I happened to have the exact same model of garbage disposal brand new in it's box in the basement. Now remember, he already had the kitchen sink pipes disassembled, all he would have had to do was unhook the dishwasher drain, unlock the GD collar, and turn the GD to remove the old one, then reverse that process to install the new one. I asked him how much additional to install the new GD. He replied "$200". I politely declined, and then put his plumbing company on a list of places I will never again do business with.

To get back to the dealerships, it's not the price of classic car parts that bother me, it's the price for the parts for the newer cars that are outrageous. You really shouldn't have to pay for the R&D of parts in a replacement part. You've already paid for that R&D once in the original part.
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think you missed Bob's point, Jaunty - He meant that when you call a plumber to fix a 25¢ washer, you are probably doing so because you don't know what you're doing, and are relying on his knowledge, just like in my doctor analogy. The $75 is partly for this knowledge, partly for his truck and equipment, and partly for him to drag his butt over to your house and spend a half hour there, and another hour driving there and back. I think the point was that the dealership, like the plumbing supply house, sets its prices based on the principle that a lot of the money spent there will be passed right through to customers who have opened their wallets to people doing the work for them, and who have no idea how to do the job themselves.

- Eric
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM

The next time you call the plumber......

"He replied "$200". I politely declined, and then put his plumbing company on a list of places I will never again do business with."

Most likely you will be placed at the bottom of the "list" next time you call any service company for repairs. "I have my own parts, can you just install them?"
Of course, you'll still blame the plumber and expect a free warranty visit when something goes wrong with your part. "It's brand new after all" He just might do that too, if he's a sole proprieter, and can't afford the hit that all your bad mouthing will cause.
So after the plumber sits down and pays his truck insurance, fills up with gas to make the trip to and from your house, pays the liability insurance to try and protect himself from his customers who might slip on that drip of water that was left behind, pays the heating and insurance on his shop, pays for advertising, buys some specialty tools to do his job properly, pays shipping and inventory costs on all those cheap *** .25cent washers he rapes his customers with, not to mention, that by owning and paying for all the above, his net worth, (not cash or income, by the way), makes him one of those "millionaires" that our govt wants to declare war on, ("they NEED to pay their FAIR share in taxes!)

Yea, I'll sell you that .25 cent washer....and install it for nothing...

Don't you just hate these money grubbing businessmen?!?!?!

Sorry, just couldn't help it........And now back to car parts.
I don't buy at the dealer either, unless they are competative with price. Usually get better service at auto parts stores anyway.

Yes, I am a deeply conflicted individual!!
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by lansing
Most likely you will be placed at the bottom of the "list" next time you call any service company for repairs. "I have my own parts, can you just install them?"
A good businessman would have taken a look at the part to satisfy himself that it was actually new and in good condition, explained that there could be no warranty because he had not supplied the part (and maybe made the customer sign something to that effect), then charged him an additional $25 for the five minutes required to install the part.

That would have left him with a happy customer who would be sure to call him again, and to tell his friends as well, and with an additional few bucks in his pocket for a negligible amount of extra time spent.

Instead, he created a hostile customer who will badmouth him far and wide and who will never call him again, and made no extra money.

He knew Starfire wouldn't go for the $200. He just threw it out there to refuse without actually refusing, and picked a high enough number that if the customer was crazy, it'd be worth his while, All if which spells J-E-R-K in big letters.

- Eric
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by lansing
"He replied "$200". I politely declined, and then put his plumbing company on a list of places I will never again do business with."

Of course, you'll still blame the plumber and expect a free warranty visit when something goes wrong with your part. "It's brand new after all" He just might do that too, if he's a sole proprieter, and can't afford the hit that all your bad mouthing will cause.
So after the plumber sits down and pays his truck insurance, fills up with gas to make the trip to and from your house, pays the liability insurance to try and protect himself from his customers who might slip on that drip of water that was left behind, pays the heating and insurance on his shop, pays for advertising, buys some specialty tools to do his job properly, pays shipping and inventory costs on all those cheap *** .25cent washers he rapes his customers with, not to mention, that by owning and paying for all the above, his net worth, (not cash or income, by the way), makes him one of those "millionaires" that our govt wants to declare war on, ("they NEED to pay their FAIR share in taxes!)

Yea, I'll sell you that .25 cent washer....and install it for nothing...

Don't you just hate these money grubbing businessmen?!?!?!

Sorry, just couldn't help it........And now back to car parts.
I don't buy at the dealer either, unless they are competative with price. Usually get better service at auto parts stores anyway.

Yes, I am a deeply conflicted individual!!
You didn't read my post well enough. He was at my house for a service call that had to do with the rest of my kitchen sink (double sink) plumbing. I didn't call him out and ask him to install a part I already had. While he was working on the rest of the plumbing (for which I paid him and I don't begrudge him that money at all) HE suggested that I get a new disposal, I just happened to have one on hand. Gas, truck, insurance all that you mention was already covered in the cost of the work he was doing. No, I would not have expected him to warrantee the new garbage disposal. That's just an idiotic suggestion.

For the record, the plumber was not a sole proprieter, he works for one of the larger plumbing companies in our area. Also, I have no intention of "bad mouthing" the company. I just won't do business with them anymore. If I was intent on bad mouthing them I would have named them.

MDechanic you are correct, I would have paid $25 (seems like a reasonable price for the work involved and to save me the hassle of replacing it myself at a later date) for him to install it and would have happily signed a waiver of warrantee. I also would have been happy if he had just said, "Well, I'm not allowed to install parts that we don't supply". Makes logical sense to me.

Last edited by starfire; April 30th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

www.gmpartsdirect.com

Yes gmpartsdirect.com is 1/5th the price of dealerships, but they kill you in shipping.

I go to GM parts direct, get the part number, see the price. then if it's the right price I buy from them (shipping) if it's not I buy from the dealership and I found that the price they post, is within $1 of the price at the dealerships
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM

Walk a little farther in his shoes...

My apologies. Sounds like MDchanic and Starfire are 2 of those rare and wonderful customers that are so few and far between.

MDchanic:
"That would have left him with a happy customer who would be sure to call him again, and to tell his friends as well, and with an additional few bucks in his pocket for a negligible amount of extra time spent.

Instead, he created a hostile customer who will badmouth him far and wide and who will never call him again, and made no extra money."

Ah, but the story doesn't end there. Starfire said he worked for a large plumbing company. When he turns in his tickets at the end of the day he'll be called to the office to explain his $25.00 "overcharge". When he explains that he installed customer parts and the customer thought $25. 00 would be fair, and so did he. The question from his manager then becomes, "So you installed his part, we get screwed out of the markup, it's not a brand we sell so we're helping out the competiton!?!?!?! Why the #&$! did I ever hire a jack leg idiot like you!?!?!? And where did you come up with the idea that customers set our pricing, Idiot"!?!? "Try that #&%# again, and I'll fire you!!" "And just what do you want me to do with this idiot "warranty waiver" you've written on the ticket?? Our system is not set up to recognize psuedo contracts that you pull our of you !$$ on the spur of the moment......Are you a #$%@$#& lawyer now, TOO!?!?" ............and so it goes....... If this sounds far fetched to you, then luckily you've never worked much in the service sector.

So yea, he could have politely declined, and that would have been better than offering to do it for $200.00, but fact is the poor schlubb is most likely a no win situation anyway, and not necessarily a classic J-E-R-K as you call him.

Sorry, I'm done now, and I really didn't mean to hijack the post. And shame on me for fouling a very enjoyable board with work related woes. There is plenty of time for that during the week!! No good deed goes unpunished is my motto!

Last edited by lansing; May 1st, 2011 at 07:58 AM.