General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Year One's fuel pump doesn't fit

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Year One's fuel pump doesn't fit

I ordered a fuel pump for my 72 442 with a 350 4bbl and AC from Year One. Tried to install it last weekend. Once installed, it wouldn't allow the AC bracket to go back on.

Here's the link for the one I ordered. Its the first one listed of the four, part number NG320.

Am I losing my mind, or does it in fact say that if fits all 72 350s???????????

Also, the Year One picture shows the pump upside down, I believe.

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/Show...1119&pgid=8262
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What I'm not getting is why you would spend $40, plus shipping, at YearOne, when you could spend $23 at Advance or NAPA for the same part.

It should fit just fine - maybe it would help us to help you if you post a photo of what's going on.

- Eric
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Did you have to take the A/C bracket off to get to the fuel pump? Anyway, pics would help as Eric suggests.
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
What I'm not getting is why you would spend $40, plus shipping, at YearOne, when you could spend $23 at Advance or NAPA for the same part.

It should fit just fine - maybe it would help us to help you if you post a photo of what's going on.

- Eric
this
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Pics for sure, but maybe they sent the wrong part that has a return line on it...how many tubes are on the top of the pump? It should only be 2 for that part number.
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
I wanted the AC Delco pump. They didn't have it at any of the local stores, only brands I hadn't heard of that were not made in the US. The car is not at my house in Las Vegas, its at my father-in-law's house (he does awesome body work and restoration work) in Apple Valley, CA. The extra money doesn't bother me. However, the hassle did.

I did end up going to Auto Zone and bought one of the unknown brands for like $30 and it fit fine. I didn't take any pics and I'm back in Vegas and I don't have access to the car for a couple more weeks.

I'll return the Year One pump and get my money back.

What I was really asking was whether you'all read the YearOne pump description the same way I did, specifically that it will fit all 72 350s including those with AC?
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Did you have to take the A/C bracket off to get to the fuel pump? Anyway, pics would help as Eric suggests.
Yes, I did have to take the AC bracket off to get to the fuel pump. I was putting in a new ac compressor, and since I had recently been having some cold starting issues, I figured I might as well change the pump and filter while the ac compressor was off. Changed the valve seals too. That wasn't very fun at all.
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Pics for sure, but maybe they sent the wrong part that has a return line on it...how many tubes are on the top of the pump? It should only be 2 for that part number.
Sorry no pics guys. The pump only had two lines on the top. The little metal cylindrical thing that sticks-up (its about as big around as a nickel) and has the little pipe that comes out the side of it to slide the fuel line onto, it was too tall for the ac bracket to go back on. The bracket hit it.

The Autozone pump had a shorter cylindrical thing. Probably about an 1/8" shorter. Not much shorter, but enough for the bracket to easlily go back on with clearance.

Last edited by MaxDog; July 4th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.