General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Year of manufacture licence Plates

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM

Got my 'antique' 1969 plates on today after a long visit to the AZ DMV. Never thought about getting pulled over with them, but they do look original and cool! AZ also issues historic or classic plates made of copper, which look good new but quickly tarnish.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM

In jersey you pay $80 one time for QQ historic plates, then renew for free every 3 years. Funny thing on that note. My dad put qq's on his 60 plymouth in 1985. At that point in time you got a "forever registration". When they went from paper records to computer records they lost a good part of the qq plate files, and files on cars with qq plates. So from sometime in the late 1980s until 2007 my dad's plymouth NEVER EXSISTED! The plates were never made and the vin came back to nothing. Finally the registration was so beat up after 20 years he went to renew and get a new one and the car didn't exsist to them. That was the funniest trip to the dmv yet.
We had to bring the title(good luck finding it after 47 years at the time, we've had the car since new) and they wanted the car infront of them. Uh no, here's the registration, try and read it. Showed them a picture and made them reregister the plates to the car right then and there, after "creating the car" that is...

I'm pretty sure we don't have YOM plates in NJ though. But since you don't need a front plate I'm getting a Bicentennial plate for the front of my dad's 76 t/a. Speaking of which, no one gets that plate either... QQ TA TOY... "Oh tah toy, how cute"... Very few catch it as t/a toy...

We also have restrictions on the qq plates, and many use the qq's so they don't have to pay for registration and they don't have to get their car inspected, which is wrong.
It's the same here about the driving to shows and for working on it. That's it. But that doesn't stop me from stretching it and going out to eat or taking it out on a nice day to run errands, or my one friend who has an 84 el-co (second car/project) takes it to school with qq's on a nice day...
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Anyone know if this can be done in Ill.? the DMV wont respond to my questions. Who would have thought.
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dingusboy
Anyone know if this can be done in Ill.? the DMV wont respond to my questions. Who would have thought.
C'mon, man, using the telephone is so 20th century. The World Wide Web knows all!

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...s/antique.html
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
An interesting story. And a tribute to Steve Osnowitz. Steve passed away within the last year. He still had the '64 442 he bought new, and then restored in 1986, taking Best of Class at the OCA Nats. Could be the nicest documented '64 442 in the country.
The plates? Steve got "regular" plates in '64 when it was new. But starting in '65, Steve knew the gal that worked at the license bureau, and when she got to plate #442, she put it aside for him. This went on from '65-'71. And he kept the old plates, of course. Fast forward to the early '90s when the program to register old plated started. Steve told me about the plates he had, and I asked if I could buy the '66 plates. He said no. He *gave* them to me. Later I bought the '67, then '69 442s, going back to Steve each time. He laughed when he gave me the '69 plates telling me that I better not buy any more 442s as that was the last set of his old 442 plates he had left. Wouldn't take a penny for them.
I'm proud to have these plates that were all originally on his '64 442 now back on 442s.
(And "KZ" almost hit my initials KS!)
Steve sounds like the kind of guy we all aspire to be like, a down-to-earth, stand up guy. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Sorry jaunty75, I don't have a computer.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Sorry jaunty75, I don't have a computer.
The little block on the left side shows you have posted 90 messages on here. How are you doing that if you don't have or don't have regular access to a computer?
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM

It's a joke....Get it?
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:46 AM

It's a joke....Get it?
Actually, no, I didn't. Thank you for explaining it.