General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wipers and washer pump both running

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2016, 09:15 AM

Wipers and washer pump both running

71 442 BBO. Got out this weekend and had to use the wipers in a rain storm. Yes, I drive it in the rain. When I turned on the wipers the washer pump began pumping at the same time. Cycled it on an off several times but same result. Two speed switch located at left end of dash. Lift switch up to engage wipers, push in to engage washer. Any ideas ?? Thanks
Old July 5th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
71 442 BBO. Got out this weekend and had to use the wipers in a rain storm. Yes, I drive it in the rain. When I turned on the wipers the washer pump began pumping at the same time. Cycled it on an off several times but same result. Two speed switch located at left end of dash. Lift switch up to engage wipers, push in to engage washer. Any ideas ?? Thanks
The washer pump is mechanically operated from the wiper motor. A solenoid in the wiper motor engages the link that operates the pump when the motor is turning. Either a short is causing this solenoid to be energized all the time or there is a mechanical failure in the motor that causes the pump linkage to be engaged all the time. Your Chassis Service Manual has full troubleshooting steps for the wiper motor.

You can determine if the problem is in the wiper motor or not by disconnecting the two-wire connector with the blue and yellow wires. If the pump continues to operate, it is a problem in the motor. If not, it is a short in the wiring or switch.
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks Mr P. Started to just send that to you in a pm because I knew you would know ! Ill get the chassis manual out and look that over. It's a new wiper motor so Ill look at switch first.
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
It's a new wiper motor so Ill look at switch first.
Don't bet on that. The brand new wiper motor I put in my wife's D88 turned out to have a bad park relay.
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Ok Thanks Ill go step by step per the manual
Old July 5th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Years ago I had the same issue with my wiper/washer. It was a two pronged plastic pawl(?) that engaged the cogged wheel on the wiper motor that works the washer pump. This piece has one long leg and one short leg, and one had bent over from age/use and no longer made contact as it was supposed to, so instead of the washer running for one revolution of the cogged wheel and stopping it just kept running.

The picture below shows the pawl that I am referring to. The overall wiper assembly may not be the same as yours but the washer pump part should be. That's a clutch head screw holding the pawl in. I had no idea what that thing was when I first saw it back in the 1980s.

washer%20pump%20003a_zpsokbyd8te.jpg